Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Hi
    wondering how everyone is doing with Linkshare at the moment? My Linkshare stats are crap. Noone is selling (at least not with my affiliate code on).

Personal Creations - anyone selling with them. I have made $27 in 3 months.

Vitacost. Targetted traffic but nothing in over a month.

Do all Linkshare merchants kiss ass with parasiteware thieving scumbags?

I am seriously considering dropping all Linkshare merchants and going elsewhere. So far this month and Last, my best network has been Performics. Not just a little better, but 5 times better than my second placed network CJ.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Andy Williams;
    Give Overstock.com a try. At one time I had 85% of all my links to LS merchants. Then 218 of them went bellyup owing me back commissions. Steve has turned around the network but still is at the mercy of lousy converting merchants like the two you mentioned. I refuse to give more exposure to LS merchants beyond Overstock until LS publishes the network wide click/sales ratio of their merchants. Sad but true many of the majors do not average one sale per 1000 clicks.

After 3 years and 26 million impressions I did start to question the honesty of LS and their merchants. I never set out to make money on affiliate marketing and just wanted to get some stats on merchants who paralleled some of the client sites I was working on. Amazing that Webmaster Mike never built an client's ecommerce site that didn't record one sale per 100 visitors and many 1 sale per every 15 visitors. The billions of VC bucks spent to build and maintain the LS merchant sites could never report sales even approaching this unless some con-game was being played on us.

Therefore I took all three networks to task on the trust issue as a wakeup call in Feb. 2001. CJ did a 360 and out flanked the others with the EPC/transparency issue. Until that time affiliates were dime a dozen cannon fodder for merchants. I might advise some merchants here who are manned by honest hardworking affiliate managers but I refuse to talk to those who farm out their affiliate programs to the snakes in the professional affiliate management biz.

I had clients on the networks and it was me who made the links, banners and landing pages. One by one I advised them to distance themselves from the snakes infesting the networks as merchant front. Hell they converted real well without affiliates and had no way to show new affiliates their high conversion ratios. None of the networks wanted these published and kept a wall between the merchants and the affiliates.

ABW is breaking down those walls and the networks ..except for BeFree..are adapting. Only the greedy merchants object to paying an outside sales force a dime if they can get around it! To their management we are carpetbaggers unless like the Dupers ..we can make their hit meters jump. The idiots still equate hits to revenues like in the 90's rather than spend the effort to make sure 1 sale appears for every 100 visitors regardless of traffic source.

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

ABW Ambassador
    Mike
    Thanks, I will do. I have been eyeing them for a week or so since I noticed their forum here. Off on holiday for a week - need to think hard about whether to dump Linkshare completely except for perhaps giving Overstock a go.

I'm using both Vitacost and Overstock. For Vitacost, I've got targeted product links and for Overstock, MP3 players featured on the front page of a site. Haven't had a single sale with either merchant.

ABW Ambassador
    I have just changed my Vitacost links to a CJ merchant. They are new and have a big free phone number, but I'll give them a chance. Bye Bye Vitacost.

not sure what products you're using Vitacost for PG, but I've got a CJ merchant on another site promoting the same products with the same keywords. The traffic to the Vitacost pages is "right-on"; it just isn't converting. The CJ pages on the new site just got spidered, so we'll see how they convert once Google dances.

I've noticed that no matter how many relevant visits I get from paid search (PPC, Ink & Lycos), the only SE traffic that converts for me comes by way of Google or yahoo's google results. Same keyword searches - but for whatever reason it's the free traffic that buys.

ABW Ambassador
    No secret - xenadrine EFX, the ephedrine free xenadrine.

I think there's a few CJ merchants selling that PerfectG.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Andy ..save your web ink on this jewel.

Ecomcity.com
    Merchant Name Impressions Click-Throughs C/I(%) # of Orders # of Items # of Items Canceled O/C(%) Sales($) Commissions($)
    Walmart.com 188,060 1,848 0.98% 1 2 0 0.05% $108.79 $3.26

Takes 1800 clicks to get one sale and has been that way for over 2 years. So much for Walmarts retail expertise. Drop off 1850 shoppers at the storefront ..CC's in hand and whoopie they ring up 108.00 in sales once they get their hands on them. They'd spend more than that on the 25cent horsey ride out front!!! Maybe the Linkshare moderator should check into what professional affiliate management company milked them for $200,000 for their expertise in affiliate management. Find out what other merchants they represent and kick the whole group off the network till they hire an inhouse person ...preferably not the nightime security guard. I'm sure this would make Sam Walton roll over in his grave just itchen to make some heads roll.

[ 07-09-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

Linkshare Merchants Who convert for us:

Cooking.com
    Domestications.com
    PetFoodDirect
    Bare Necessities
    Overstock.com
    Delta Airlines
    DELL Home
    Office Depot
    Ross-Simons
    Gardeners.com
    Smarthome.com
    Computers4Sure
    Performance Bicycle
    Performance Products
    FragranceNet
    Oriental Trading Company
    Haband
    Sharper Image
    Silhouettes
    GotFruit.com
    MusicYo
    Improvements Catalog
    REI
    BoatersWorld
    Brooks Brothers
    FOSSIL
    Personal Creations
    AutoAccessory.com

Linkshare Merchants to STAY AWAY FROM:

OfficeMax.com
    Walmart.com
    CVS.com
    J&R Computer & Music World
    Widerview Village
    SmarterKids
    SImply Dresses

feel free to add.....

-BluesX

BluesX, thank you for sharing that so freely. Alot of people here would be afraid to do that.

BluesX,
    I would love to see some examples of what you're talking about. I'm not a salesperson by nature but I think I could learn enough to really get some revenue going - I've already learned a lot by hanging out here and absorbing info from other websites, too. Right now I'm beginning to draw some good traffic to my site and my merchants are getting great click thru rates (at least at the boutique, not necessarily at the content site, of course), but getting these visitors to buy is another thing altogether. That's the part I haven't figured out yet. And, believe me, I'd like to figure it out! I know there's a technique to getting people to buy - and I do believe in the products I carry on my site - and I'm sure it can be learned, even if you aren't a born salesman (or woman [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).

Heres are merchants that have converted into at least one sale within 200 clicks since 1997. I dropped linkshare a while back because of the pethetic conversions. I have to say Overstock and Sharper Image is the best linkshare merchants so far.

Merchants that have converted:
    Office Depot, Inc
    Overstock.com, Inc.
    PassionUp Free Secret Love Letters & Poems
    PhoneHog.com
    Sharper Image
    {*}Americansingles.com (M@tchnet PLC)*

Have not after 200 clicks:

1-800-FLOWERS.COM
    Buy.com
    TheBabyOutlet
    CD Universe
    Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia*

Testing merchant.

Tested walmart.

Bought a vacuum, tracked the sale in less then 24 hours. I Canceled order, Linkshare tracked the canceled order.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    BluesX,
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge, some of us who are new to ABW appreciate all the help we can get.

ABW Ambassador
    BluesX
    Yes, thanks. Will check out some of these.

Affiliate Manager
    FYI: Overstock.com has a Jewlery Sale going on until July 22nd. Over 450 Jewelry productshave been marked down.

Also, we are adding very aggressively priced DVDs & VHS, as well as more books and music.

The above should help with conversions. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Thanks,

Not converting

The Motley Fool, Inc.
    SnoopyStore.com
    Sony Music Direct
    Offices2Share. com (Landers Commercial Real Estate, Inc)
    American Express
    AT&T

To add to the list....
    Jessica

The few merchants that I've tried at LS that converted for me is Chase Card. Got 3 sales in around 100+ clicks but I now switched it to Capital in CJ just because of consolidated payments.

Anyone else know aything about Personal Creations? I list them in a limited capacity and am thinking of adding more pages if...

ABW Ambassador
    For me this month i've done ok with
    Overstock - i feel a bonus coming on
    FTD
    1 800 Flowers
    Domestications
    Ross Simons
    Personal Creations
    FTD
    Office Depot - which is a shocker, the only office sales i've ever had is with Staples
    I also recommend Fragrance Net, the send out a check every month no matter how little

Affiliate Manager
    It's good to see Overstock.com listed as a top-performing Merchant by many folks.

Keep in mind that not only have we been converting traffic, but now we are offering a Massive bonus plan from now until August 31st. Here are the details:

From now until August 31st, I'll give out the following bonus for active participants of ABW:
    Make less than $500 in sales (but at least 1 sale) = $25 bonus
    Make more than $500 in sales = $50 bonus
    Make more than $2,000 in sales = $200 bonus
    Make more than $5,000 in sales = $500 bonus
    Make more than $10,000 in sales = $1,000 bonus

If you can make more than $50,000 in revenue, call me! The more money you generate, the bigger the bonus!

Thanks,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>my best network has been Performics. Not just a little better, but 5 times better than my second placed network CJ. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Interesting news, but the site below is relatively new and not up to their minimum 500 unique daily visitors. How rigid is this prerequisite?

ABW Ambassador
    500 visitors a day? Don't know. Performics won't know that you don't have 500 per day. Go and try to join.

Okay, I'll do just that. Before I do, though...if they give a bonus for new affiliate recruitment and someone has a link on which I can click...PM me a.s.a.p. and someone can get some credit at least.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eaglefire:
    not sure what products you're using Vitacost for PG, but I've got a CJ merchant on another site promoting the same products with the same keywords. The traffic to the Vitacost pages is "right-on"; it just isn't converting. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi eaglefire,

After reading about the bad conversion statistics at Vitacost, I thought I should mention that we noticed an interesting phenomenon. Depending on browser settings, etc., affiliate links sometimes lead, not to the product page, but to a page with a “direct” link below the following message:

“Your Browser does not have JavaScript Enabled or we were unable to automatically direct you to your destination. Please click the link below to take you to where you intended to go”

Does that mean “direct” as in ‘not through the affiliate’???

A LOT of people turn javascript off to avoid annoying pop-ups, etc. We have also gotten this message when using Outpost firewall, and certain settings in Opera. It *could* be a pretty big leak.

Please note that I am NOT saying that affiliate commissions are not being tracked when this happens – I don’t know. It just seems like something we should investigate.

Selma.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast