ABW Ambassador
    Just received email that said they won't pay referral fees if the person who got to your site searched for the term "lillian vernon" or any variations. Do they not know how search engines work? If we use the text or graphic links they provide thru LinkShare, the search engines will pick it up. Makes no sense.

If merchants were supposed to know how search engines worked, God wouldn't have invented affiliates.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I

The way I read it, it appears they are mostly concerned about people bidding on their trademark in the PPC's, and with SEO using their trademarks.

This type of email (from various merchants) has been pretty common the last six months or so.

ABW Ambassador
    >>If merchants were supposed to know how search engines worked, God wouldn't have invented affiliates.<<

Oh, that one is going on my Wall Of Quotes.

I have brought this subject up on the USAMC a few times and even on the last conference call, but never (really) got an answer! But, I did get a great [external merchant (not online)] viewpoint from Rick McGrath (JCWhitney).

First let me say that I am all for a co protecting their TM and the goodwill therein, but If all "real world" merchants would take the same stance ... they will be killing affiliate marketing in general. (eg. I can't use shoes.com ... ok but what about birkenstock, bostonian or adidas?)

Once the "Non ecommerce" merchants (eg. adidas) also follows this use of TM ban, I think we are F'ed! Oh and yes it will slowly, but surely, happen, because of a few company's (and their lawyer's) shortsightedness in the REAL ecommerce marketplace (affiliate marketing).

Thoughts?

Haiko

Well its true Cedric! Merchants make merchandise. Thats why its called 'merchandise'. If they get any ideas beyond that, they always get themselves into trouble.

In fact, I'm thinking it might be good if we all agreed on a story to tell merchants when they ask 'where does traffic come from?' Like the story for the 'where do babies come from?' question. It could feature the 'Googlefairy' and have monsters in it called 'Gators' that gobble traffic all up.

I

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: Icicle ]

ABW Ambassador
    And an apathetic guy over in the corner called "Alta Who?"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>First let me say that I am all for a co protecting their TM and the goodwill therein, but If all "real world" merchants would take the same stance ... they will be killing affiliate marketing in general. (eg. I can't use shoes.com ... ok but what about birkenstock, bostonian or adidas?)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've wondered about that many times in the past couple weeks as I've watched these issues arise here. Quite frankly, I just can't see where it would serve in the best monetary interest of non-ecommerce merchants to impose such a ban. They've nothing to lose by losing traffic as an ecommerce merchant would. I fail to see where damage is done to the brand identity whereas I can see where damage might be done to the brand identity of a merchants web properties.

If I own a discount shoe store and buy a spread in the Sunday paper, of course I'm going to list brands my store carries. How else will I move enough product to re-order from the supplier?

{

[ 08-09-2002: Message edited by: eaglefire ]

Eaglefire,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Quite frankly, I just can't see where it would serve in the best monetary interest of non-ecommerce merchants to impose such a ban.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More and more non-ecommerce merchants are going online ... and I think a majority (80%) of them will. Look at sony ... you would have expected them to be online three years ago ... everyone could use the TM to sell anything and everything sony via whatever merchant .... well now sonyspot.com is a dead domain because of TM issues. E-commerce isn't flash-in-the-pan ... so it will take some longer than others to get online but with they underlying policies (already established by merchants) then .... guess what no TMS allowed .... then what?

I'm talking about long term policies here ... merchants stop us from using their TMs, manufactuers will also, so ..... google will dance with which keywords? ... get my point? This situation is only about 1 1/2 - 2 years away, as I see it progressing.

Haiko

I've been thinking about this. Theres only one section of my site where people look for brands and these are all brands the merchant carries. I do not advertise the merchants name at all.

If it got to be a serious problem I would cloak my pages and look all innocent if the merchant asked any awkward questions.

But essentially, any merchant who pulls this crap is a bit of a loser really. I think I'd just delete the page and make a new one with a more understanding merchant on it.

I can't stand control freakery. 'Specially not from corporations. I like it when nice people make money and nasty ones don't. Anything I can do to help this along is no trouble at all.

So dump 'em and let 'em wonder where their sales went. Or point them to the Famous F***up thread.

I

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Think of this as a positive merchant elimination tool. If a company or AM has "branding" and Trademarks on their minds they have no clue or desire as to how to convert clicks to sales. They are advertising oriented and controlled. Their program will be a case study in diversion tactics like Dell.com. Send an e-mail to the companies management contact and explain your no longer sending them traffic til they fire their AM and replace with some warm body reporting strickly to the sales department.

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

ABW Ambassador
    Yes Webmaster Mike....

By all means, call a company and let them know that they will do business your way, period!

Although you sometimes have some really good ideas Mike, your bluster definitely outstrips anything of note you might have written.

Obstinatedon

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread