Hi,
    This is my first post although I have been hanging around here for quite sometime now and enjoying every bit of it
    I would like to know if anyone is doing well with J&R Computer/Music World
    Since march our reports at Linkshare shows we have had 83,454 impressions, 1,268 click throughs, Only 3 sales and $6 in commission.
    Are we doing something wrong or is there something wrong with J&R?
    I need some help.
    I would also like to know if Linkshare merchants who are no longer active still have to pay us even if we are below the monthly threshold since we have lost about $100 to non active merchants at Linkshare.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think many people have success with J&R, i've sent a bunch of clicks and only 1 sale.

I've also sent them a ton of clicks and had 0 sales. I've pretty much given up on promoting them.

J&R's "Get Latest Price" feature removes affiliate's session or persistent cookie and introduces a new session/cookie. This is why no affiliate gets credit for the sales they generate.

Otherwise, they have a pretty good selection and low price guarantee, so we must be selling some.

- BluesX

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BluesX:
    J&R's "Get Latest Price" feature removes affiliate's session or persistent cookie and introduces a new session/cookie. This is why no affiliate gets credit for the sales they generate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know this as fact?

>You know this as fact?

I have shown the proof to Carol at LS Symposium. I do not know if they corrected this behavior or not since then, as I no longer promote J&R.

- BluesX

So Sarah, What have you to say about this scamming from affiliates? And if this merchant is doing it, how many of your other merchants do similiar things?

It really makes it tough to promote the merchants at linkshare when we are continually put in a position to be screwed like this.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi -

Please give me a little time to investigate the concerns raised about J&R's program. We take tracking issues very seriously, and I thank BluesX for bringing this issue to our attention. I've already alerted my team to this issue and we will be contacting the merchant's program managers. Once I have further specifics, I'll update everyone.

Thanks,
    Sarah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I would also like to know if Linkshare merchants who are no longer active still have to pay us even if we are below the monthly threshold since we have lost about $100 to non active merchants at Linkshare.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for the feedback but I would love to get a reply for the above issue

ABW Ambassador
    J&R has great prices and selection. The low amount of reported sales makes it obvious to any affiliate experienced in electronics salesthat there is something wrong here.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'd be embarrassed to let you guys knows how many clicks J&R got from me in the last 18 months. It sure doesn't justify my never reaching their minimum. Serious problems with their reporting tags and like BlueX points out they are tricksters.

To reply to a post above:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would also like to know if Linkshare merchants who are no longer active still have to pay us even if we are below the monthly threshold since we have lost about $100 to non active merchants at Linkshare.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to be trite but merely to state facts, I think your answer lurks within the legal terms of those merchants. In all likelihood they've probably stated they are not obligated to pay unless you hit the minimum threshold.

Some merchants who have left LinkShare have paid out all affiliates regardless of commission threshold standing -- Ubid did. I was pleasantly surprised, even though it translated into barely enough for a few 99-cent menu items at McDonald's. However, they are still in business (for the time being) and moved their program to another network, so their motivation was probably to retain affiliates in the move.

I think if the company went out of business, you'll probably not see the money. There's probably no money in the bank to pay, and they've got no motivation to pay.

Sarah,

Any update on the situation with this merchant?

Hi Heidi,

We have contacted J&R about this issue, and BluesX has been helpful in providing me with further information about the problem. At this time, my team will be conducting a series of tests to determine how this feature impacts affiliates, and we will work with J&R to correct any problems that are found.

I will update everyone when I have more on the testing results.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi All,

My team has tested J&R's "Get Latest Price" feature and found that it does not impact credit the referring affiliate. For those of you not familiar with the "Get Latest Price" feature, it's a pop-up on J&R's site that allows the user to input their email address so that the new price may be emailed to them. The email will include the new price and a link to the product. Let's take a scenario:

A user on your site clicks your J&R link and goes to the J&R site. When the user lands, a new session begins and the user gets cookied with your site information. The user looks around and uses the "Get Latest Price" feature. Perhaps they close their browser or keep it open. In either case, if they go click on the link in the "Get Latest Price" email, they will again go to the J&R site and a new session will begin. However, the user still has the cookie that says they came originally from your site. This information is not overwritten, so you will receive credit if the user purchases that product.

I hope this information is helpful – please let me know if you have questions.

Sarah

ok so basically this merchant doesn't convert worth a darn or doesn't report sales, time to drop em.

Test this:

CLick on J&R affiliate link
    Click on "Get Latest Price" on any product
    Close the browser
    Fire up the e-mail
    Click on the buy link within latest price emial fro J&R
    Buy the thing
    See if J&R posted the sale to the affiliate's account.

(I had a friend do this for me. One sale posted for $55, One sale for $750 was not posted)

- BluesX

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Girlie:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, Linkshare wash their hands of the merchants and affiliates are left without payment - see KBToys threads some time ago in this forum as example.

Every single LS or BeFree merchant who has a minimum set above 50.00 with Zero Cookie days plays this free traffic game. The moment they get exposed to a substancial commission debt they close the program shafting all those below minimum and stiffing the few who reached minimum. It's called leveraging the network holes and paying only the network fees without commissions til time to exit! Been going on for years and they same merchants then appear at some new network with the same scam.

Hi BluesX,

Once again, thank you for your help and feedback on this issue. As you suggested above, we conducted actual test purchases:

Test 1
    We clicked through an affiliate link, used the "Get Latest Feature", and waited for the email while keeping the browser open. Once the email was received, we clicked on link, went through to J&R site, surfed around, then placed an order.
    > Results: order tracked and posted to the affiliate account.

Test 2
    We clicked through a new affiliate link, used the "Get Latest Feature", and waited for the email after closing the browser. Once the email was received, we clicked on link, went through to J&R site, surfed around, then placed an order.
    > Results: order tracked and posted to the affiliate account.

After testing the J&R's "Get Latest Price" feature, we have not found any indication that it impact credit the referring affiliate. Again, although a new session begins when a user clicks the email link, this does not impact the original cookie received when the user initially arrived via an affiliate link.

Thank you, and I hope this information is helpful.
    Sarah

Sarah,

About 3 months ago, J&R suddenly stopping posting any sales. At that time I noticed the Get Latest Price feature, tested it and saw that it failed to report the sale. After this issue was brought up here, I again tested it and one of the two sales through this test failed to show up in sales reports.

To take LinkShare and all the parties on a safe side, LS needs to institute a better reporting mechanism as the current one may allow greedy merchants to post-process the sales data before uploading it to LS servers. (This is what I think is happening w/ J&R sales data now, that they know LS is monioring their site, they may just play it safe(r)!)

So a business suggestion to Stephen:

Report all the sales data you capture - in real time (or in nearly real time as some call it) -. Let the merchants upload their sales data and mark the mismatches for affiliates' investigation, or let the merchant explain the mismatch.

- BluesX

Very good observation BluesX: "To take LinkShare and all the parties on a safe side, LS needs to institute a better reporting mechanism as the current one may allow greedy merchants to post-process the sales data before uploading it to LS servers. (This is what I think is happening w/ J&R sales data now, that they know LS is monitoring their site, they may just play it safe(r)!)"

The merchant aggregrators like Global Sports do just that. Only they pre-process the sales data to calculate and record their cut before releasing the parsed data to the final checkout server. In the process they often wipe out the affiliates cut at final checkout in their rush to get theirs reported first. That's why their merchant pool reports less than .025 conversion ratios. Push your LS contacts to post the merchants conversion ratios. How many clicks they average to record one sale across their affiliate pool. The dupers will inflate this ratio but it's better than picking merchant blindly.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread