Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Does anybody else have trouble with Tupperware links? I have an entire page dedicated to Tupperware, and I just checked some of my links. When I clicked on them, I came to a page that says:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We're Sorry! This item is temporarily unavailable. If you like, you can locate a Tupperware Consultant near you who may be able to provide this product to you directly.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm sorry too. I'm not generating leads for Tupperware so that their consultants can make sales.

But, I gave them the benefit of the doubt, and I went to the Create Links section of LinkShare, and sure enough the code was different. So, I changed the code.

Now, when I click on the links, I get:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We're Sorry! This item is temporarily unavailable. If you like, you can locate a Tupperware Consultant near you who may be able to provide this product to you directly.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What really makes me angry is when I go to their site and do a search for the product, I can find it without a problem.

What's wrong with this scenerio?

Tracy

The more I've thought about this, the angrier I've gotten. I just sent an email to Tupperware outlining what I said above, and added:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I’m leaving the page up the way it is to give you time to correct the link problem. I’m off from work at my real world job on Wednesday, August 7. If I get up that morning and the links don’t work, then I’m going to make the page redirect to my Rubbermaid page until such time as individual product links to your site actually bring a visitor from my site to the opportunity to purchase the product they are clicking on.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think they'll fix it?

ABW Ambassador
    Tracy, I think you were being too kind!

I'd be starting to switch links this weekend.

ABW Ambassador
    At least you guys can get to the site to make products links.
    Since I have an international (Australian) ISP, they have taken it upon themselves to direct all foreign traffic to some default page, unable to view any products.
    Kinda makes it difficult to sell stuff.

Yes, Elisabeth, I think you're right. I should have set up the redirect and wrote them that I would change it when they made their links work.

I remember seeing a thread not long ago about the fact that all of Tupperware's graphics weren't working. Turns out they moved them to another directory.

Makes one wonder whether or not they really want affiliates. I mean if they're going to keep underminding the process, what's the point. And why would they prefer to pay Consultants than affiliates? I'm sure a consultant's commission is higher than 7-12%.

No wonder my earnings went from a high of $52.99 in April to a low of $2.31 in July.

Well, I have to work tomorrow, but I'm off on Sunday. May just redirect that page to Rubbermaid then after all.

Tracy,

I was the one with the images issue at Tupperware. Sarah at Linkshare is the one who got the ball rolling and got the attention of the folks at Tupperware.

I did receive an e-mail from tupperware asking if everything was working okay (after we discovered the solution). The e-mail was unsigned, but came from (comments@tupperware.com). The subject line had what looked like a case # on it. I only mention this, because it encouraged me that they had some sort of system in place.

The person at Linkshare who followed up with me twice was Ebony D., she is a customer service supervisor. You may want to check with her as well. Believe it or not, I reached her at (contact@linkshare.com).

Hope this helps.

Fred [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

PS: The people at Linkshare (Sarah, and Ebony) are to be commended for their help with my situation - IMHO.
    [edited, twice due to my spelling mistakes]
    [ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: buy_online ]

[ 08-02-2002: Message edited by: buy_online ]

Fred,

Thank you for all the helpful information.

If your images are now working, I wonder if you have checked any individual product links. Do they also work?

Tracy

ABW Ambassador
    Well, to get Tupperware to work...don't you have to occasionally burb it. (couldn't resist)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Get a hint from the problems that continue to plague this merchant. They had image server problems because they probably wanted to save a few bucks by feeding the imagges from their server rather than pay the "image serving" fee to LS. They hate individual product links, since they convert better and cost them more money in commissions without the free "branding" that comes from low return day cookies. Tuperware also screwed all their distributors who HAD sites before they came online with theirs. They made them take them down or cancelled their contract for competing with parent company...bummer lame affiliate manager aggrevated by greedy management forcing retail prices on all shoppers.

This pig will never be a producer.

No Sweat Tracy!

As for checking links, I have not done that, but will this morning.

Since EcomCity has ventured a guess about what the problem may be, I will too. First, the image problem was not related to changing hosts, rather changing directories. And that of course, is where the real problem may be.

It is an old story indeed, when the IT department doesn't bother to tell the Affilliate manager that something has changed, and to notify anybody else that should know (Us).

Because, as always, we are the last to know - or find out. So, links don't load - Jane, the Affiliate manager: "Hello IT department, this is Jane the Affiliate manager - I have a problem" IT department: "Jane from what?...The 'what' department!?"

As for the performance of Tupperware, we do okay with them.

Still lessons to be learned here?

Fred [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Hi Fred,

I took the liberty of checking a few of your links. Most went through fine. I just went to one of your pages, and four of the twelve resulted in the same problem I'm having. The majority of mine are resulting in the page about finding a consultant.

Tracy

Sounds like it could be one of two things:

1. As Fred suggested, there's a communication problem resulting in broken images and bad links.

2. As Mike suggested, they're really sneaky and are trying to not pay commissions.

Or, it could be a combination of the two.

Wait...that's three things! :eek:

Andy

Another merchant that is mentioned here quite a bit also has a "problem" with broken links. I got so sick of it, I finally put a form at the bottom of the page, so that visitors could report bad/broken links, or changed products on the landing page. You'd be surprised how many fill it out! I'm able to go in and make fixes quickly when it's reported.

[Spelling... :rolleyes: ]

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: Andy ]

You're right Tracy, the links are landing in the "sorry about that zone." Time to call in the Mounties!

Maybe Tupperware is trying to tell us that we should become 'Consultants.' Wait, that won't get our links to land a pages with real product [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I don't know Tracy, this is the second time in a month - re-evaluate?

HELLO SARAH!

Fred

Just my luck all this started Friday evening. Have suffer through the entire weekend before we can even hope for somebody at Link Share to come in, see this, and respond.

I wonder what it is like to work Monday through Friday, and not have to worry about work on Saturday and Sunday.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi Tracy and Fred,

I caught Tracy's postings on Friday and alerted the LinkShare representative who works with Tupperware - they contacted the merchant first thing this morning. We'll be working with Tupperware so they update those product links as quickly as possible, and I'll let you know when I have more information.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to look into this.

I'm curious. Why is it that some merchants provide the option of creating your own product-links (like Overstock.com does), and others don't? Wouldn't it be to Tupperware's benefit to allow this type of linking? This way, affiliates could promote the products that are most appropriate for their site without having to beg for a link to be created.

I sent a request in January for a link to one particular product to be made. It never appeared in the linking options, and I never received the courtesy of a response to my email.

Then Friday, I received an email from a visitor to my site berating me for not including that product (as well as one other product) on my site. However, I did include the second product on my site. That email is what prompted me to review my Tupperware links in the first place.

In providing links that land on dead pages encouraging people to contact a consultant, Tupperware makes me look bad, and themselves look bad. Is it too much to expect that when a visitor clicks on a link, that they find the item they clicked on? It would be one thing if the item is no longer available, but these are items that are available if one searches the site.

Visitors aren't going to take the time to search the site to find this out. They're going to believe the results of their first click. So both Tupperware and I lose. Neither one of us earns anything from a potential sale.

If somebody wanted to deal with a Tupperware consultant, they wouldn't be shopping on the Internet. There are people who want to buy Tupperware, but don't want to host or attend a party to do so. That is why the fact that items are available for purchase directly on the Internet is such a wonderful feature of Tupperware.

From Tupperware's point of view, I can see that having a consultant involved could generate more sales. A consultant could convince somebody to host a party which would generate even more sales for Tupperware. On the otherhand, somebody could see "contact a consultant," and immediately be turned off. No party, zero sales. Isn't it better to get that one sale, then none at all?

I'm at a loss as to how to respond to that email. If I say that the item is not available as a link from Tupperware, then I look like a greedy jerk because I'm not putting up a link that does not result in a commission.

I spend a lot of time developing my site and providing "content" about microwave cooking. My only compensation is what I may earn as an affiliate. If I create a direct link to the item, then Tupperware benefits from my work and I get nothing. I'm not that altruistic, and I don't appreciate being placed between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

Tracy

Damn shame Tracy that an perfectly targeted Tupperware affiliate site can't get their attention. This type merchant just puts up some quick creatives and let's the program run on auto pilot. No thought is ever given on how to generate more affiliate sales since the company mindset is ..this is a cheap advertising campaign expense.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi Tracy,

I understand your concern that Tupperware's error message directs users to contact a Consultant. We have not only asked the merchant to update their product links, but also to evaluate this messaging and it's impact on their affiliate partners.

In terms of your question about why some merchants do not allow affiliates to create their own product links, the answer is two-fold. First, by providing you with ready-made product links, merchants maintain control of the link. As their inventory and/or site changes, they can easily update images, product information, landing pages, etc. without asking you to go generate new code. Everything updates automatically creating less work for you. While generating custom product links allows you more flexibility, you need to be more diligent on your end about keeping such links updated regularly or else you may end up featuring outdated products and links without realizing it. Secondly, this advanced product link feature does require additional programming on the merchant side. And some merchants often concentrate on other aspects of building their program before offering such a feature.

I hope this information helps. Again, I'll keep you posted as I have more information on Tupperware's efforts.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for the information, and taking time to respond.

I received a nice email from Jennifer Tyre at Tupperware, and I am working with her to resolve my immediate problems with the dead products. She also offered to create any links I need for particular items.

I also addressed the issues of the landing pages and dead links with her. This is what I wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>One final thought about the landing page of dead links. I know it is difficult to communicate with all associates when an item is no longer available; however, having a link land on page suggesting that a viewer should try to locate a consultant will negatively impact your affiliate program. Affiliates don’t appreciate driving traffic to a site only to have their efforts undermined. If somebody is shopping on the Internet, they most likely would rather make a purchase right then and there. Wouldn’t it be better to say “SEARCH FOR SIMILAR PRODUCTS” and have the catalog at the bottom of the page that you see when you click on any other link? A page saying, “SORRY” and “LOOK FOR A CONSULTANT” just seems counterproductive to me. You are losing a potential sale and alienating your affiliates at the same time.

My sales went from $807.69 in April to $32.97 in July. My site and traffic have not changed. The only major change was that so many of my links weren’t working and I didn’t know it. Seems to me people were probably discouraged when they landed on a page encouraging them to find a consultant rather than find other products at the site. Meanwhile, sales for other merchants have increased.

Also I love the promotions that Tupperware is always putting out. The problem is that they expire so quickly. Wouldn’t a better method be to replace an expired promotion with a new promotion instead of creating a new banner? That way the banner would automatically feed to all websites, whether they have taken the time to replace them or not. I work a full-time job, run a bulk mailing business out of my home, and maintain four websites. As much as I’d like to, I can’t always keep up with all those promotional changes. Often, I don’t put them up simply for the fact that I don’t have time to change them when they expire in a matter of two or three weeks. There are all kinds of promotional banners currently at LinkShare, most of which have expired. Just seems to me that having one set of different sizes, and then changing the promotion (leaving the link numbers the same) would save everybody a lot of headaches. It would also not disappoint potential customers who click on an expired promotion.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you again for your assistance.

Tracy

That's great Tracy,

I wonder if anyone from Tupperware will e-mail me so I can get my links fixed?

Fred :rolleyes:

Actually, Fred, not to worry. What I'm doing is going through every single item at Link Share and creating a link, and testing it. Then I will be reporting to Jennifer all of the ones that land on a dead page, so yours should be taken care of too once they address the entire problem.

I'm already past the halfway mark in the list, so I should get it done tonight when I get home from work.

Tracy

Nice job Tracy of educating a merchant AM. All your points like rotatingg seasonal and promo banners take no effort for the merchant if they do just what you told them. Of course normal AM's have to call their IT department to change their browser e-mail setting. Tupperware is a very anal corporation so changing banner graphics and landing pages will take multiple management meetings to digest the brand impact.

Thank you. I thought it was just common sense and would be a win-win situation for both Tupperware and their affiliates. They crank out a new promotion every two or three weeks. Full-timers can probably handle it, but I'm juggling a lot of balls in the air.

I could really need some Tupperware links on my Norwegian sites. All women I know swear by the brand and love the lifetime guarantee. Tupperware Norway has just discovered the Internet: http://www.tupperware.no/
    It will probably take years for them to find out about affiliate marketing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I tried Avon Norway too since I have so many female visitors, but the real smart Norwegians wanted to charge me $20 per month for sending them traffic. "It was to maintain my sales website" What a nerve!
    I wished them luck on their internet ventures.

Anyway, it's nice that something good came out of this thread. Well done, Tracy! You've helped a lot of people. And Tupperware.

And I'm beginning to reconsider some of my opinions about Linkshare. Lately, they HAVE been somewhat responsive. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Off I went on vacation. Just go back and was so thrilled to find an email from Jennifer at Tupperware telling me that all the microwave links were now available at create links at Link Share. I was so excited!

Even though I've spent the entire day in a car, and I'm dead tired, I immediately went to LinkShare to add one particular link to my site. Guess what? It takes you to the page that says:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We're Sorry! This item is temporarily unavailable. If you like, you can locate a Tupperware Consultant near you who may be able to provide this product to you directly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did a search for the product at Tupperware. Not only was it available, it was on sale! I could be selling it like crazy if the link would work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast