ABW Ambassador
    I know from past threads about this merchant not converting well. I was just wondering if anybody has ever done a test purchase or maybe the LinkShare moderator could do one or check it out. Thanks

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Without this test purchase and some serious conversion efforts Buy.com will soon join Linkshares pool of belly up merchants. They are hanging on by a thread from bankrupsy and closure.

I bought several things from them last year and got credit for all of them. So can't say that they don't track.

But I've never had a sale (granted, I havent sent them much traffic) so maybe its all in their ability to convert (or lack thereof).

Maybe Buy.com makes a point of crediting purchases made by an affiliate through their own links (since an aff would know better).

I happened to buy a few things in the past week that were tracked. I've not once had a problem with their tracking including purchases not made by me.

From my experience, buy.com does take a few days to report transactions to LinkShare. When I make purchases for myself, transactions typically post in reports after the order ships. On one occasion, it took about 5-7 days for the order to post in reports.

I've noticed something handy. If you are a "Signature Affiliate", you'll have the Member ID Field Report. This will show the "Transaction Date" (when purchase was made) and the "Process Date" (when the order was reported to LinkShare). Using these two dates for any transactions, you can determine the typical reporting lag of a merchant.

See more info on Sales tracking with the Member ID Field at this thread...

http://www.abestweb.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...&f=26&t=000181

Jim in Texas [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Its a shame, with their URL and the fact that (I believe) they raised tons of money when they went public, and then bought the stock back at pennies, they should be able to find some way to run a profitable business and sell lots of products. Alas, they used to convert very well for us a couple of years ago, but they have slipped into the doldrums, even with the free shipping and other incentives...I wish they would get back on track, they used to be pretty good!

ABW Ambassador
    Funn thing is I just got a load of sales posted this afternoon for buy.com...Nice!

Don't they have a bonus going for a certain volume of sales?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    They used to have some all aroung good deals on computers and electronics and converted well. Then they couldn't meet their burn rate and had to raise prices, fire workers and drop lines from suppliers who no longer extended them credit. They were hooked directly into either Ingrim Micro or TechData ( both massive warehouse distributors for mfgrs) for direct fulfillment to consumers. That plugin got pulled because of high returns -cancelled sales and CC fraud.

They went in downhill spin when savvy shoppers saw they no longer discounted like before and no longer bothered to type buy.com in their address bar. Sucks when even a bookmark get ignored. Sucks even more when your affiliate pool ceases to make a regular check and won't put up individual bargain product links. Sucks even worse when they are so computer illiterate they can't figure out Linkshares DHTML revolving product displays like newbees OverStock and Coldwater Creek.

WebMaster Mike

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread