Hi

Since setting up my new PC at the weekend, I can't get into LinkShare.com at all - and their DRM links don't display if I look at my affiliate sites that carry them.

I'm guessing there is something in the scripts that XP/IE6 isn't very happy with. I've installed all the updates, and other scripts - certainly java, contained fully in the html and referred to externally - are displaying properly.

Why I can't get into the site is more of a mystery - unless the whole thing is under a javascript redirect? I can't get into cj.com either - but can get into commissionjunction.com.

CJ's SmartZone links are half-showing. Broken image and link, but the image size and ALT tags are coming through [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Apart from the personal problems this is causing me, I'm posting because this is an out-of-the-box
    problem, and may identify a problem that will grow as the number of new PCs with XP/IE6 grow.
    The problem will not be apparent to most of our visitors - the LinkShare DRMs don't show any errors or anything, they simply don't display. Judging by the behaviour of the page, I think that the script (is it java or soemthing else at LS?) is being loaded and interpreted - but the content isn't being found and/or displayed.

Of course, I'd be interested to hear if other XP/IE6 users are seeing these links in place.

... and I thought I knew my way around the technology [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Stewart Hutton | Are you Crazy?

Closing the loop on this in case it turns up in future searches etc ...

Mucho detective work and testing (which took my broadband connection down for almost a day - oops) has revealed that my problem was a complex (that means I don't fully understand it) combination of DNS and proxy settings/interactions/things. It does appear to be XP and/or IE6 related (in that other PCs on the same network/connection running other OS/browsers are not affected) but I'd probably have to add my ISP into the mix, so you probably won't experience it unless you're a UK BlueYonder subscriber.

I am now going to research hair transplants as I have torn most of mine out. Well so would you if you could connect to cj.com but not www.cj.com, linkshare.com but not www.linkshare.com and so on.

Sorry if I "cried wolf" - I hope this is something that few (if any) others have to go through.

Stewart Hutton | Are you Crazy?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Might have something to do with the broadband ISP service using a proxie server to cache commonly requested pages to speed up delivery.

WebMaster Mike

Stewart,

Non-Be-Free, just plain Scott speaking here.

One of my computers (also running XP/IE6) cannot access a few certain URLs (nothing to do with affiliate programs), much like you describe.

Netscape on that computer works fine. Other computers on my network (running XP/IE6) also work ok. This one notebook seems to be poisoned.

Was there something you tweaked to solve the problem?

thanks.

Have you found a solution
    Help!

I am having the same problem! I cannot access www.cj.com or cj.com or www.linkshare.com. I CAN access linkshare.com but many of the little flash ads don't show up.

This is rediculous - can you offer any recommendations to me as to what to do???

thanks!

If you cannot access either affiliate site, check your HOSTS file.

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

or

c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

This is what the HOSTS file looks like if it is not modified:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
    # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

If you have anything beyond this, you are probably blocking access to the sites.

The problem I am currently having is that I can see every site I visit, but I cannot login to Linkshare. I am given the following error message:

You have been logged out for security reasons. To log back in again, please enter your Username and Password above.

If you are using Internet Explorer 6 or higher, please be sure that your Security and Privacy settings are not blocking LinkShare's authentication cookies.

You can check your settings in the Tools menu under "Internet Options". Security and Privacy should be set to Medium or lower, and you should verify that cookies from linksynergy.com are not specifically blocked.

I can assure you that my security settings are not the problem. My HOSTS file is not the problem either. I have cleared my cookies and cache. I do accept cookies from the site.

I called LinkShare for tech support, but they were no help at all.

Anyone else experiencing this kind of thing? If so, did you solve it? If so, how, please?

Thank you.

edit: Contrary to what the tech person at LinkShare told me, this is NOT a problem with my system. I am an A+ certified technician as well as a Novel CNE and a Microsoft MCSE/MCDBA. I know how to configure a computer. Since the tech person at LinkShare was no help, I decided to prove my point. I opened a test account at Linkshare using information that indicated that it was a test account. First name: test Last name: Account

I have no trouble logging into the test account. This tells me that the error is at the LinkShare server and not here.

Now all I have to do is convince someone at LinkShare that my account requires some maintenance. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by SAVEaLOTofBUCKS.com; September 18th, 2007 at 07:38 PM.

Back In June we did an update that changed some setting on our local server that prevented Us from accessing our sites and hosting company.
    Don't know for sure if this could have happened to you or nor not but where is something you can check. It corrected our problem here on our Network.

Go to Your control panel and (left) click on Network and Internet Connections
    Then (left) Click On Network Connections
    Then (right) Click On Local Area Connections
    Select Properties From the Menu Choice
    Window that open should read Local Area Connection Properties
    Select "General Tab" if it isn't already selected
    In the scroll down box these Items should have a check in the select boxes,
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    QoS Packet Scheduler
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Highlight ""Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"" and Click Properties on This One
    <<General Tab>>
    Obtain an IP address automatically [Radio Button] should be Selected.
    Obtain DNS server address atomatically [Radio Button] should be Selected.
    <<Aternate Configuration>>
    Automatic private IP address [Radio Button] should be Selected.

<<<<This One Should Not Be CHecked >>>
    Microsoft TCP/IP version 6

If this is checked and has an IP or DNS server address it sending your request else-where.

Hope This was usefull.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    SAVEaLOTofBUCKS.com, Welcome..
    You know that you are replying to a thread that was last posted in 2005, right?

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread