ABW Ambassador
    Sarah, now that you're with us, I'd like to raise an LS issue that has plagued affiliates since time began: The LS, So-Called, Search Function.

For example, we all know that Spencer Gifts are major Halloween freaks. So I log into LS, go to CREATE A LINK, select Spencer Gifts, and select TEXTUAL/EMAIL. Ten of the first eleven links that I can see contain the word "Costume" or "Costumes".

And I decide I want to see ALL the costume links and JUST the costume links. So I search on "costume". ZERO links returned. I search on "costumes". ZERO links returned. I search on "Costume". ZERO links returned. I search on "Costumes". ZERO links returned.

And they all come with cryptic little message:
    "following number of textual links matched your search:

Displaying 1-0"

I go back to the list with all the links. I stare at all the ones with the word "costume" in them. I curse. I not so patiently plod through each and every Spencer Gift link and handpick the "costume" ones.

Tell me I'm doing something wrong and I'll fix it, tell me the Search function is searching an Italian language database and I'll buy a phrasebook.

But PLEASE. Give us all the KEY.

Cedric <-- wondering if an unusually high percentage of affiliate marketers are bald...

PS: Please note that Spencer Gifts is just an example. I've found the same charming patterns with all my merchants.

Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Displaying 1-0"

I reckon that is the score:

LS search 1-0 affiliates

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi Cedric,

Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I tested "Find Text Link" search tool and it appears that it looks for matches based on the first word in the name (i.e. type 'Halloween' vs. 'Costume'). I've asked my development team to review this feature and make the search more intuitive. I'll keep you updated.

Just to follow this up with what Cedric said. All of your search funtions are by far the WORSE in the industry. My little nieces search on her site works better than any search funtion at Linkshare. That is pretty sad Sarah. I'm not just talking about the product link search. Your merchant search is just as bad. We have brought this up many times and it seems it just gets blown off. This is an important time saving tool for us. Why can't all the keywords that are related to a merchant be put in the search.

An example would be if I search for merchants that sell games or have games on their site I come up with one merchant. I find it hard to believe that you only have one game related merchant.

Well the search says you only one game related merchant so I guess I will have to join merchants at CJ and [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I think you get my point. Give us a search engine that works!!!! We have been asking for months. Steve was suppose to look into it way back. Thanks Sarah! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Affiliate Programs That Kick Major Butt

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you, Sarah, for looking into this...

[edited to add: for the life of me, I cannot figure out the use of the "default" option in the drop down. The only way I can get results to show at all (using the new information you provided) is by using "Search Category - All"... and of course, by knowing what the first word of the name is. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ]
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

I'm glad to hear that you're finally looking into this. For the most part the search function only lets you look for the name of the merchant, which is worthless. If we already know the name of the merchant, we can scroll, what we want is something that can let us search the products they sell.

The way that I have come to search Linkshare is to click on the link to list all merchants. When I do that, I get all of the merchants with brief descriptions of their programs all on one page. Once I have that, I simply hit Control-F and type in the word I'm looking for. However, it's a primative and pathetic way to have to search in this day and age. Even if your search function could include all of the words in the merchant descriptions, it would be a major step up, and that would not be the least bit difficult to program. Dave

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread