ABW Ambassador
    Heads Up here... This seems fishy to me.

Clicked through my link to Paul Frederick and there is a promotion prominently displayed on the front page for "Buy Any 2 Knit Shirts get 1 free.."

Click on that and receive a page which states:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> To redeem, add 3 regular knits from the selection below to your shopping cart. You must enter the code from your email or catalog source code in the promotion box in your shopping cart to receive the lowest priced shirt free. If you do not have a code, click here(this is a mailto: link) to request one. Offer only valid with knits and sweaters from the selection below. Offers cannot be combined. Lowest priced item will be free.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If a customer clicks through from my site, most likely they won't have a catalog or email source code. Seems kind of like a diversionary tactict, whether intentional or not. The customer is going to be confused and if they have to request an email, which will most likely have a link in it (which probably nullifies affiliate id?), how can an affiliate make a sale?

What do you think about this?

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi Joseph,

Paul Fredrick does offer 30 return days. Therefore, when a user on your site clicks through a Paul Fredrick link and lands at the merchant's site, the user gets cookied with your site information. If the user leaves the Paul Fredrick site, they maintain the cookie that says they came originally from your site - so if they go back to the merchant site anytime within the 30 day period, you should receive credit if the user makes a purchase.

I hope this information is helpful - please let me know if you have questions.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I can't speak for Joseph but what I think he is saying and he is probably 100% right is;

If a visitor goes to Paul Fredericks site through the Josephs merchant link the cookie will be set as you say. But the way that Paul Fredericks has it set up is that the visitor will be looking for the special deal. When they email Paul Fredericks for info, they will email the visitor back. When the visitor gets the email and clicks on the link in the email to go use the coupon. Paul Fredericks cookie will over write Josephs cookie. Josephs sale will be voided by the email link if a cookie is set. Isn't this true?

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Affiliate Programs That Kick Major Butt

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Isn't this true?

Correct me if I'm wrong!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes, that is exactly what I was saying. Thanks for clarifying, DaPackster. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

This is what I was saying/asking. Sarah, can you provide more information?

-J

Hi Joseph,

Since the user received a return day cookie when the intially came through your site, going through the link in the email should not impact your credit - it's similar to going direct to the merchant site. However, I've asked my team to conduct a test to confirm what is happening.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hi Joseph,

I received word back from my team - after testing the promotion link sent in the Paul Fredrick email, they confirmed that it did not impact credit to the referring affiliate site as I initially stated. Again, since the user received a return day cookie when the initially came through the affiliate site, the affiliate retains credit for the sale when the user returns directly to the merchant site.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Hmmmm Sarah!!

So then there could be 2 reasons as to why the sale was still credited to the affiliates link that was clicked on.

Number1 would be that when Paul Fredericks sent the email it didn't have a link that would set a cookie. If that is the case Bravo to Paul Fredericks.

#2 would be that affiliate cookies aren't over written at Linkshare by other affiliate cookies until the return cookies time runs out???

I'm guessing it is the first example?

Hi DaPackster,

You are correct - the user clicking through the link in the Paul Fredrick's email does not receive a cookie that impacts credit to the original referring affiliate.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Sarah,

Thanks! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread