Due to the recent strings on parasite ware, we wanted to let the ABestWeb community know that we took a stance on this issue in July, 2002. We removed Morpheus, LimeWire and Kazaa from our program mid-July after being concerned at their sudden jumps in sales. (When a new affiliate joins our program and starts performing at leaps and bounds, we check out their site and begin investigating immediately to make sure it's valid activity and not harmful to our partners or us.) While adding significant revenue to our affiliate program, it became clear rather quickly that there was something going on with these affiliates that was atypical. Please be assured that we will stay on top of these issues and continue to address, and potentially remove, any affiliates that are operating with the same models as the above "parasites".

Now, another, more appealing topic . . . . new customer bounties!!
    We have been toying with the idea of revamping our introductory offer in a number of ways. One of the key changes that we are currently considering is a new customer bounty. However, we need your feedback. Due to our "discount" business model - we don't have huge margins, but we're willing to give up a little more $ if it means making partners happier..but what is a meaningful bounty? $1? $3? What are everyone's thoughts on paying this out quarterly as well? As a "bonus" once per quarter?

Please tell us what you think - "why is a new customer bounty such a strong selling point?" - we want to be more educated by you, OUR "customers". Thanks very much for your time.

Best,
    Carey & Samantha

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    wtg Priceline!

Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of War are laughing.

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you priceline. Please add yourself formally in the merchants against parasites in the parasiteware forum so consumers and affilliates alike can reward you for your stance.

Thanks again

Carey & Samanta,

WTG on the Wurldmedia issue, can I ask Priceline's official position is on Ebates since they use TopMoxie's parasiteware?

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Haiko,

Thank you for the post . . .

Due to recent discussions with our friend Jamie at Coldwater Creek this week, we will be downloading the "Moe Money Maker" on a computer outside of our firewall to review what is happening with Ebates and the Top Moxie software. Any information you can provide on them would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Carey & Samantha

I've downloaded Moe Money Maker, and it DOES hijack affiliate links (including Priceline.com).

It took me FOREVER to figure out how to disable it. Right-click on any web page and scroll down to "Ebates" in the popup menu to get to the configuration options.

Alternatively, just click here:

http://127.0.0.1:8765/_etraffic_ebat..._settings2.htm

To remove it, you need to:

1) Remove the Ebates component.
    2) Remove the TopMoxie component.
    3) Run AdAware to remove the rest.

Does anyone know if Ebates Moe Money Maker gets installed with any other software? I have one customer who doesn't remember ever installing it, yet it's on his computer, actively hijacking links.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Yes, we need to include the Top Moxie product used by Ebates and MyPoints when talking to merchants! This is as parasitic as it gets yet many merchants think they are already parasite free because they removed the morpheus, kazaa, etc
    from their programs!

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

re: Ebates being lumped in with the real, true parasites

We immediately began our own investigation of MoMoneyMaker at the first hint of "parasite" mentions in association with them.

We urged our Ebates contact to pls. explain and/or fix any "bugs" in how MMM works. We were told that they never had any intention to "steal" traffic from fellow affiliates, and would not support that kind of business practice.

They have a patch coming out in approx. 2 weeks that will prevent the MoMoneyMaker from popping/overwriting LS affiliate referral cookies.

I hope that this is goods news to you all - and I would encourage you to speak to them directly - if you're still concerned or confused about MMM.

priceline has a long-standing relationship with Ebates, and after speaking with them today, we feel comfortable and confident proceeding with our relationship.

I would also encourage Sarah from LS to comment on this - since I'm sure Ebates is working quite closely with you to remedy this issue.

Regards,
    Samantha & Carey

Priceline is using TOPTEXT to advertise. Thus on certain keywords, millions of users get a link to them direct. If the keyword they purchased through Toptext, then it will show up on your site.

Allen

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>..but what is a meaningful bounty? $1? $3? What are everyone's thoughts on paying this out quarterly as well? As a "bonus" once per quarter?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    $6 - $10 per

quarterly sounds fine..

JM

[edit]
    Ebates is regarded as parasitic.

Could we get an update on the relationship between Ebates and Priceline? Obviously, much more than 2 weeks has passed, and Ebates is still using Moe Money Maker and hasn't issued an update to stop stealing other affiliate commissions.

I don't see how any merchant can consider Moe Money Maker to be good for them. You're certainly not getting incremental sales with it. You're just paying commissions for sales that you already would have received.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread