Should I stay at Amazon and continue to make a solid 2.5%, or switch to Target and maybe make 5%?

If somebody goes to Amazon and buys an Amazon product I make 5%-8%. If somebody buys a Target product I make 2.5%, and the sale helps grow my Amazon earnings.

If somebody goes to Target and buys an Amazon product I make 0. What if the person goes to Target, clicks over to Amazon and buys a Target product there? I lose!

If somebody buy a Target product I make 5%. Unless they're a member of ebates and know they get a rebate if they go back to the link through ebates.

I just went to Linkshare and created my first product link. Interesting that when you right-click on the image to get the URL for the image you see: http: // images.amazon.com/images/P/{imagename}.jpg

Looks like all of Target's images are stored at Amazon.

What should I do?

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    LOL Tracy. You have my head swimming. If it's all that confusing, then maybe there's your answer. How about stay with Amazon and add other merchants who carry similar products as Target. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] That's all just too confusing for my brain.

BTW, does anyone know if Target is still a big supporter of Gator, or have the dropped advertising through Gator?

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

I'm a snob. I admit it. If somebody offers a product and I can earn a 10% commission, while somebody else offers the same product for a 5% commission, then I'm going to go with the higher commission.

However, if absolutely nobody else offers the product, and I want to feature it on my site to make my site complete, then I'm going to feature it for the lousy 2.5% commission you get from Amazon on Target products. This is the case. The products in question are only at Amazon/Target.

---

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Figures. Don't you just hate when the product you are wanting doesn't have a least a little bit of competition between different merchants?

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Hard to believe Tracy that someone like WalMart doesn't have that Target product. Overstock used to feed Amazon certain closeout -sporting goods and electronics products but got burned. I'm very leary of pushing any brick-n-mortar mass retail merchants since their AM's are all pure play advertisers justifying paychecks with eyeballs ..not sales. I'm sure Target is just a client for a merchant aggregrator running a professional affiliate management firm. Like GSI they never seem to convert and most just push parasitic incent programs and mass e-mailers as their major attack plan.

WebMaster Mike

I see the "new" Target is already at Ebates. Offering a 4% rebate to consumers.
    I am sure M.Fields is on it's way there too. I really feel it may just be a move by those stores to be active with Ebates, seeing how Amazon just said no.
    That is probably the whole reason for the separate programs for Target and M.Fields.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

Well that answers any thought of that I ever had. Switching back to amazon links tonight, thanks Connie. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Mama in Charge
    Clevermoms.com
    http://www.clevermoms.com

Connie,

I think that's a very good point, and right on the "target" assumption!

Too many ifs for me.

I'm not in the business of providing free Banner Advertising space so that other's get name recognition.

I'm in the business of generating sales and earning a commission for my efforts.

---

For any skeptics...I'm happy to report that in my first week of just running Fields thru Linkshare (vs. Amazon), I'm seeing twice the sales. And I ran them for a few months thru Amazon even after seeing NO Fields sales.

I give the Linkshare program 2 thumbs up!

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

With my best,

Liz
    http://Styleforfree.com

So you don't think any of the factors that have been talking about should be of concern?

---

I have many times noticed the "honeymoon period" sales with merchants, only to have them fall off into the black hole of the internet.
    Also Liz, is is not possible that you are promoting them in more prominent places than you were with the amazon links? And it is holiday shopping season. You cannot know that you would not have had the same or more sales with them at amazon in the same time period. I always do better in the first week or two with new merchants because I push them more to see what they can do. And I also know that in the last week all of my sales are doubling due to the season.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

Tracy and Connie. I do think the issues you've
    brought up are a concern. And I agree that I've been doing more cross merchandising now that I can link up to every product on the site(s), where I couldn't through Amazon.

In my particular case though, I was sending a number of click thru's to Marshall Field's deals thru Amazon and saw not even ONE SINGLE sale reported at Amazon (for Fields items). I asked Amazon to check if my links were all ok and they said that they were.

Luckily I have not seen a decrease in Amazon sales, it's fitting in accordingly with the season. I am suffering however from Amazon now being affiliate with some of my other top merchants.

In my case, it's just a matter of staying focused on certain Amazon offerings. Where I can be affiliated outside of Amazon for a store they have listed, I'm just seeing better results in that case. But that in no way means that what's working for me may work in your case.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

With my best,

Liz

ABW Ambassador
    Connie,
    Good catch on Target/ebates, and good point about the "honeymoon period" I've seen this too. Join a merchant, great sales for a month or so..then... blam.. nothing.......

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    I was going to put some target links up tonight and didn't.

The checkout stinks - I don't like the fact you have to enter credit card info before you can even see what the shipping charges are. That's a major snafu as far as I'm concerned and I will not submit my users to that kind of crap.

Give me your name, addr phone #, email and credit card info, then I'll tell what shipping charges are - geeze.

Another hassle ...

I made one product link two nights ago. I put it on a temporary page nobody can access because sometimes it takes up to 24-hours for a product link to work with Linkshare's system. It's been two days and it still doesn't work.

I think I remember reading somewhere that you have to get permission from Target for each product link you make. So what? I go into LinkShare, create a product link, then write and ask permission to use it?

Why bother giving me the ability to make the links? Why can't I just send them a list and they can approve/disapprove and make the links for me?

---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Monuit:
    Connie,
    Good catch on Target/ebates, and good point about the "honeymoon period" I've seen this too. Join a merchant, great sales for a month or so..then... blam.. nothing.......

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Connie has the ability to find that needle in a haystack.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Did anybody get any sales for Target and Fields yet? How are they converting?

Hmm I wasn't accepted to target. So Looks like I would use amazon:0)

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Well I have decided to go ahead and run a trial period. I have added the Target links to my site along with my Amazon links. I plan on keeping an eye on the stats and seeing what the effects are if any.

Connie has a good point about the ebates things, and it was a thought that crossed my mind to, but I decided to experiment and see what happens.

~Michelle

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracy:
    Another hassle ...

I made one product link two nights ago. I put it on a temporary page nobody can access because sometimes it takes up to 24-hours for a product link to work with Linkshare's system. It's been two days and it still doesn't work.

I think I remember reading somewhere that you have to get permission from Target for each product link you make. So what? I go into LinkShare, create a product link, then write and ask permission to use it?

Why bother giving me the ability to make the links? Why can't I just send them a list and they can approve/disapprove and make the links for me?

---
    _Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love._<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could be totally blind but I never saw anything about product links having to be approved. And a few days ago, I did make quite a few individual products links and they did work when I uploaded my pages.

With all this talk I just checked my links and they all go to a Target page that says "There is no target.direct page matching your request". I went to Linkshare to check, and there is no option anymore to create product links. I have the choice of Text Links or Banners and that's it. No individual products and no create your individual products.

And I was sending specific traffic for some hot items, I was wondering why I hadn't seen any sales yet, too. I know why now.

I'm still seeing great sales at Fields/Target, but I think the honeymoon's not nearly over - so I'm keeping a watchful eye.

That is frustrating that indi. product links were there at first and now not. Customers really appreciate the convenience of a product link. Hope they put it back up soon [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

With my best,

Liz

I only had them up a couple of days and just checked . BIG sales. Maybe a honeymoon as well, I will watch, though I have switched my target links back to amazon at this point.

Mama in Charge
    Clevermoms.com
    http://www.clevermoms.com

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread