Before I start building my site, I would like to ask: Which is better...concentrating on one merchant on my site, or using multiple merchants?

My second question is this...is it better to create a "store" site, with product images- or a themed content site with affiliate text links?

I need to know because I can only have one site at this time (only have one domain). [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night)

Hello Dragon dame;

I run 2 Malls and of course I use multiple merchants with all of the 4 major networks (CJ, Linkshare, Befree and Performics). If your site is a Mall, then of course you would go with multiple merchants. What is the theme of your site? This has alot to do with what and how many merchants you use. My major Mall has banners, text links, drm's and product links, so, like I said above it just depends on what the theme of your site is. Good Luck!

Michael

I haven't thought of a theme yet. I was waiting to see which method worked the best, as far as income and click-throughs. My original idea was for a "country store" type website...but I don't know if the merchants available will fit into that theme.

I thought about a mall...but I have heard some bad stories about those. How are you doing with yours? I read an article one time that said if you offer too many products on your site- it confuses the visitors. They called it the "flea market" look. I want to really make a go of it this time. After 6 years, I need to finally succeed at this. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night)

Dragon Dame;

I'm doing alright with my Mall but, not as good as I would like. When I first built my site I thought 'mall' and did some searching and browsing of certain different kinds of malls on the web and got some ideas as what I should do as my layout. I noticed that alot of the mall portals looked alike and I wanted to do something different, I actually made my home page a virtual mall (just as if you were to walk into a real mall. My homepage is a bit long but it is the only way I could highlight some great stores. I have changed alot in the last few months (homepage was even longer than it is now and I shortened it up). But the income varies from site to site. The real hard thing to do is get listed in the search engines as I am still trying to do. Right now I am listed on certain searches but not as high in the rankings as I would like to be, I just have to wait and be patient. Right now I am using Google Adwords and a pay-per click site (goclick.com). To get ideas on your theme of a Country Store, go to a search engine and type in country store malls or similar keywords and click on some of the sites listed and get ideas. There are quite a few merchants that you could use for Country Store products, you just have to take the time and do some research on the commission networks. As for the clickthroughs, they vary, in other words, I have Coldwater Creek womens clothing) on my site and made a few sales right after I joined (about 24 clickthroughs and 2 sales) but, it has stalled and 2 weeks later I have over 200 clickthroughs with the 2 original sales. There are some merchants I have 500 clickthroughs and only 1 sale however, there are others with only 2 clickthroughs and 1 sale. It all just depends if your visitors like what they see. You should try and cater to both sexes, all ages and so on and so on. If you want to look at my major mall here is the URL; Mall Plaza Shops.com

I noticed quite a few other persons from A Best Web have taken a gander at my site. Thanks folks for taking the time. I know that this is not the right thread but, if you want to critique Mall Plaza Shops go ahead. I am ready.

ABW Ambassador
    If you really want it reviewed (which I do suggest you do), do it in the right place.

Put in a request in the site reviews forum and I'm sure you'll get lots of great feedback.

I suggest you look at some of the other reviews BEFORE YOU SUBMIT and make obvious changes as needed first. You'll learn a bunch and save yourself and others time in the review process if you do.

Be you own worst critic first as hard as that is to do and look at other sites for ideas - BUT NO COPYING - LOL.

ABW Ambassador
    Dragon Dame - Yes, in the long run you are best to use a many merchants as is feasible. How many and which ones will depend a lot upon your own taste, style, and experiences over the course of time.

The "theme" of your site, if you want to sell, should be *what the customer is looking for*.

Treat each and every page as if it were an individual site (most SE traffic will come in through these "back yard" pages anyway). For whatever product line, do your best to feature either the best selection, best prices, best products, or some combination thereof.

As you are just starting out, DO try to give a harder push to a select handful of merchants, while using many others at the same time. Using a few merchants that offer MANY different product lines will give you the opportunity to use their links on many or all of your pages. This will allow you to meet payment thresholds sooner, and get bigger checks more often.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread