Are they neccessary to earn referral fees? I've noticed that linkshares 1pixel images gets blocks in ie under default settings, so wouldn't it be the same as not having them?

I also wonder if they are neccessary for cj and befree. anyone know?

The cj affiliate links I've put on my site so far don't have the 1x1, but befree does.

Pixels and Global Sports.

It is imperative to use the tracking pixel for any global sports program, either Dicks,Fogdog at Befree, or all the others at CJ (SportsAuthority,Sportchalet,Oshmans,Mcsports etc...).

Global Sports uses the pixel for the sale tracking.

Hey Jim, I grew up in Goleta... wow has that place changed... Did you make it to CJU?

Allen

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It is imperative to use the tracking pixel for any global sports program, either Dicks,Fogdog at Befree, or all the others at CJ (SportsAuthority,Sportchalet,Oshmans,Mcsports etc...).

Global Sports uses the pixel for the sale tracking.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Umm. Please explain that statement. How is the 1x1 impression pixel in any way used for tracking of sales?

This question is in the Linkshare forum, and here Sarah, the Linkshare moderator states:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you remove the 1x1 pixel from your linking code, we cannot track the impression activity, and they will not be reflected in any of your LinkShare reports. (Note that all click-through and sales information will still be tracked appropriately.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is Be Free Q&A weighing in with:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The 1x1 pixel (which is what I believe you are referring to as the "bit" :-) is there to capture impressions. Tracking of click-throughs and sales are not tied to the 1x1, so there shouldn't be any interference with commission tracking if you choose to remove the "bit". The downside to removing the pixel is that you will less rich reporting data--no impresssions, means you won't be able to know how many times that link was viewed. Removing this pixel shouldn't affect your ability to get paid by merchants since it's not related to click-throughs or sales. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I call your bluff and say its not used at all for sales. I had sites which ran for years with thousands of transcations with no 1x1's and never noticed a problem. Including with some of the merchants that you mention.

That said, I choose to now include them whenever possible since, I can see some anal merchant refusing to pay claiming that the link was altered. I also like the impression data and reports [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] (As do the merchants... )

Gearshopper, where did you hear that the 1 pixel image is necessary for Global Sports? I have some of their programs at my site.

And no I didn't go to CJU because its too expensive. (I'm a poor student at ucsb)

I don't like the 1 pixel images because i think it makes the site slower and I heard Google might penalize for 1 pixel graphics.

I've also noticed that many big sites with affiliate links do not use the 1 pixel images.

I talked to the a couple of the AM's on the phone from Global Sports and this was transmitted to me. Something to do with the session cookie and they use some of the information that is in the CJ pixel cookie.

ABW Ambassador
    Before I posted that, I checked for qwksrv setting a cookie via the 1x1 (just to be sure) and I couldn't see any evidence of it. I think they're either clueless or misleading you.

Google does not penalize for 1x1 pixels. If you use them to inflate linkage, yes, maybe. For tracking or formatting, no.
    (ie you want to link to pages w/o it being obvious that you are, so you link via a 1x1. Spiders see the link, but humans don't. Watch out for this one.)

I'd personally still recommend including them! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I've never used 'em for Linkshare or Performics.

Have had to use them for some BF merchants.

Have had to use them for MANY CJ merchants.

I have seen the 1x1 pixel show up as a "cookie" on my cache files - so if you're working with a big ticket merchant with a number of return days, I don't believe the cookie gets set via a straight text link.

I'd love to hear more on what others experiences with the 1x1 image tag has been. With some Yahoo Stores thru CJ, if I have the 1x1 up, I cannot track a sale. It's incredibly frustrating and sorta like playing blackjack.

With my best,

Liz
    http://Styleforfree.com

ABW Ambassador
    Hoooly shoot! Liz!
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've never used 'em for Linkshare or Performics.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Afaik performics doesn't even offer them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Have had to use them for some BF merchants.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Wow, that is very very interesting and seems to contradict what the BeFree moderator stated. Any chance you'd share which one(s) or at least some of them? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Have had to use them for MANY CJ merchants.

I have seen the 1x1 pixel show up as a "cookie" on my cache files - so if you're working with a big ticket merchant with a number of return days, I don't believe the cookie gets set via a straight text link.

I'd love to hear more on what others experiences with the 1x1 image tag has been.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Me too, especially now! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

With some Yahoo Stores thru CJ, if I have the 1x1 up, I cannot track a sale. It's incredibly frustrating and sorta like playing blackjack.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] You're saying its the exact opposite with these merchants? Argh, now that seems like it would be something CJ would know about!

Geez.. I'm surprised we make any sales with all the problems that exist! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

This begs the question..if tracking of any kind occurs through a 1x1 pixel, then, I can put up a page full of them, and, theoretically... well.. you get the idea..

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I have never used the 1x1 pixels due to the way my database is set up, and have never had that interfere with tracking of sales. I have plenty of sales for the Global Sports stores without them.
    Sales are fine no matter what network they are in. Although I can go a month and have no sales for certain merchants, the next month I have some. Different stores sell better different months, but they all show sales.
    And when testing different sites, I have gotten 2 cookies, one for the pixel and one for the regular link. Just because it sets a cookie, doesn't mean the regular link doesn't.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

I am with Connie. I do not use the 1x1 pixel graphic that comes with the links. Basically those are used to track impressions and impression to click ratios and merchants like that statistic, BUT they are NOT required for tracking sales. I repeat, you DO NOT HAVE TO USE the 1x1 pixel for any links that I know of. This includes all of the big networks.

All of my stuff is database generated and it would be a pain to have the pixels there. It also makes the page load slower if there is any lag time betwen linkshare and my readers.

Maggie

ABW Ambassador
    Its really not that hard to display it even with a DB driven site (personal experience)

But.. except for Liz it sounds like nobody has had problems not including them. weird..

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Does anyone know where the limit for the days where you can get referral fees after you click on a link is located?

Also say I have 2 linkshare merchants, merchant A and merchant B. If I click on merchant A (say it has a 5 day cookie duration), then I click on merchant B, will it overwrite the cookie duration for merchant A so if i go back directly to merchant A and buy something I wont't get a referral fee?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim252:
    Does anyone know where the limit for the days where you can get referral fees after you click on a link is located?

Also say I have 2 linkshare merchants, merchant A and merchant B. If I click on merchant A (say it has a 5 day cookie duration), then I click on merchant B, will it overwrite the cookie duration for merchant A so if i go back directly to merchant A and buy something I wont't get a referral fee?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, as far as I know, the link does not contain the "return days." The link you set up on your page just contains your site ID, the merchant and the type of link you're using.

When someone clicks on the link, it goes to linkshare, who creates an "encripted" part of the link and sends it to the merchant who creates a cookie for their site with that code. That encripted part just has some additional information like the User information if you run a site that tracks member clicks.

When a sale is made, the merchant sends that new code to LinkShare, who then determines if it was within the valid return days based upon the merchant information at LinkShare.

Since the merchants track their own referring code, they will not overwrite each other.

Mark Wolinski
    Affiliate Relations
    GigaGolf, Inc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Its really not that hard to display it even with a DB driven site (personal experience) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, I do the same. I just have a field in my database for the actually link and another field for the 1x1. I've done that since I started the site and have not had any problems with it.

http://www.ahugedeal.com

I never use these for anybody, LOL! My sales are just grand. They have nothing to do with tracking, but impressions. I have had sales at all of the stores listed that you "have to have the pixels" for , but without 1x1 pixels [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Mama in Charge
    Clevermoms.com
    http://www.clevermoms.com

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread