Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi All and Linkshare

I know there is a lot of discussion on code overwritting and that most affiliate Network Solutions do not help the matter by allowing the last affiliate in the chain to capture the sale, which is usually down to the fact that the Networks use client side cookies.

However as Linkshare does not use client side cookies what is to stop them/you taking the lead (as they/you have done on other issues) and using their/your server side tracking to put into place "first lead locked" in tracking, i.e. first site to lead the buyer to the merchant site gets the sale, unless the return value expires before that happens.

This would in my humble opinion, destroy 95% of parasitic action on Linkshare, as then any tracking from Ebates would be FROM Ebates and not something they overwrote.

Opinions, thoughts...especially from Linkshare. How hard can it be....Merchants will not lose out, Linkshare will not lose out, all Parasites cease to be parasites as they no longer can overwrite a sale... everyone is happy.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

ABW Ambassador
    Mayber this could work Sarah, provided each merchant would place return-days cookies on the originating affiliate. I would think however that most merchants might be hesitant to do so thinking that they just might lose out on a sale.

As it stands right now, the zero cookie day merchants should be getting zero sales from eBates except directly from their site, or the click-from portal (in my opinion just as nefarious) sales.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> first site to lead the buyer to the merchant site gets the sale, unless the return value expires before that happens. ~Chris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would totally destroy ALL incentive for any affiliates to do anything besides get a #1 in SE listings.

What's the point of writing a pitch, or doing anything else besides put a big "Click here" link on a page for that matter, if it will only go for naught for the site that doesn't happen to be the first one seen???

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Merchants will not lose out, Linkshare will not lose out, all Parasites cease to be parasites as they no longer can overwrite a sale... everyone is happy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Notice that your own words do not mention affiliates being happy! Affiliates who know how to present a product in such a way that the sale actually closes, instead of just getting clicks to a link, would NOT be happy to find the Lamer Site that happened to be above them in Google getting credit just because it happened to get clicked through first.

"First-cookie" basically penalizes those who know how to present a product, in favor of those who just know how to entice clicks. You could run a CPC program and get that type of results...the entire emphasis would shift from getting the SALE, to getting the first CLICK in. In other words, the strategy would be the same (on affiliates' side) as for a CPC program.

Plus, I can think of ways to parasitize on that first-cookie setup, too.

For instance, if the parasite catches a direct type-in to your site, or an SE listing to your site, they WILL be the first cookie in!

There's other, more devious, stuff that could be done about "first cookie", too, but I don't want to give any parasitic lurkers too much of a manual. Suffice to say that there's nothing about "first-cookie" that would prevent a parasite from being a parasite.

I appreciate you trying to come up with a way to thwart parasites, but I am vehemently opposed to giving a site a commission just because they happened to be able to entice someone to window-shop...while the (legitimate) site that later convinces the person to get off the fence and BUY would get zero!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

Here, see this thread about what happened when ClickBank tried that "first-in" stuff:

This thread, click here

It wasn't pretty, and would be uglier on a big network!

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Leader,

Some interesting thoughts, however unlike most I like to throw about ideas to get feedback, maybe the basics of what I suggest don't work and they need working on, but so far I don't see anyone else coming up with any better ideas...lots of talk, lots of bull and no action....

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

ABW Ambassador
    I still think the best idea would be to have a cookie which could not be over-written within lets say 5 minutes of being set. This would stop eBates and others too, and yet would prevent first lead locks sale which I have to agree totally destroyed my sales at clickbank.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

PerfectG's suggestion would work. The parasite interloping comes shortly after a click (microseconds?)--no need to block new cookies forever, just long enough to kick out the parasitic attempt.

"5 minutes cookies" would not be a lot different than what Chris suggested. A visitor can go through at least 5 affiliate sites and click on different product, category, or homepage link for the same merchant. Then again arise the problem Leader pointed out.

ABW Ambassador
    Before making any decisions, I think merchants should gather detailed statistics on cookie changes. We will not be able to deduce the solution to this issue from first principles.

This means simple start with a program that records all cookie changing events for a customer. You can then clarify and classify the behavior you want to acheive. For example, are the cookie changes happening because customers are running around (basically post sale) looking for coupons...or are they clicking through search engine results, as other suggest.

After gathering information, the merchants need to publish the data. With a good baseline, merchants could see how cookie freezes affect the figures and commissions.

Personally, I suspect that content sites would benefit the most from a cookie freeze. I would go for anything that helps content sites, cause I like free content on the internet. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

BTW, the worst thing that can happen is for the networks and merchants to gather the info, then only share it with a few big affiliates who will use the data to stomp on smaller sites. The best thing that could happen is to do a study and publish the results so everyone can take the knowledge into their strategy.

Protophoto - Short Stories

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread