2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I just noticed that all my linkshare coded links to not open in a new window. The target="new" command within the HTML for any LS merchant no longer creates a new browser window. Often I do this to keep the shopper's ability to return to my pages. Some LS merchants have mouse trap scripts to disable the browser "back" button so they capture your referral shopper.

Please put this back into your redirect server.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EcomCity.com:
    I just noticed that all my linkshare coded links to not open in a new window. The target="new" command within the HTML for any LS merchant no longer creates a new browser window. Often I do this to keep the shopper's ability to return to my pages. Some LS merchants have mouse trap scripts to disable the browser "back" button so they capture your referral shopper.

Please put this back into your redirect server.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The target="new" has nothing to do with LinkShare, it's local to the browser to interpret it.

Mark Wolinski
    GigaGolf, Inc

ABW Ambassador
    Mike,

Add target="_blank" to your anchors...

--
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Well they got the message and fixed it this morning.

from their own instructions:
    To open the link in a new browser window, insert the text target="new" at the end of the URL in the href, as shown below.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    I open all my links with target="new" and see no problems with any of my Linkshare merchant links. Must be something froggy goin' on there Mike~!

Seems like at time LS redirect tracking servers ignor the request after an update. happen twice before and it works fine right now. Could be a problem with my browser, but I use the same HTML command on BeFree links and they all worked fine. Confusing.

Webmaster Mike

I use &lt;a href="url"target="newwindow"&gt;Test&lt;a&gt;

Jason

Mike, fwiw, Joesph is 100% correct in saying that target="_blank" is the true html tag. The target="new" is/was basically Microsoft's usual non-standards method. Just so you know, target="new" likely will not work on most older browsers aside from IE. But if you use target="_blank", that works on all browsers since it is the proper method.

This issue has been resolved, but FWIW, there is a subtle difference between 'target=new' and 'target=_blank'.

'target=new' -- opens the first link in a new window, and all subsequent links with 'target=new' open in that *same* window, so links just keep opening in that one window. (This is somewhat like naming that new window as "new" and every time the browser sees 'target=new', it opens that link in the window called 'new'.)

'target=_blank' -- is indeed the proper method, as Robert says, and will open all links using 'target=_blank' in totally new windows, so the user will end up with many windows.

Keep this in mind when programming.

Hi,

I believe that when you are creating links within LinkShare there is an option to your left hand bottom side that says "make the links open in a new window".

I hope that this helps.

Best,

Lizabeth Cole
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    GiveAnything.com
    Gift Certificates
    518-426-0909
    liz@giveanything.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Some LS merchants have mouse trap scripts to disable the browser "back" button so they capture your referral shopper. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That's a good point, Mike. I discontinued using the new window code after there was a little bit of grumbling from some of my visitors about the number of windows opening. However, I've personally experienced the "mousetraps" and can now see that perhaps it is best to keep your own window open.

"Where a conversion is no accident, it's a miracle."

Jim
    JAREC & Associates
    U.S. Sportfishing News

Set your internal links to &lt;target="_top"&gt; and your merchant links to &lt;target="_blank"&gt; and you should have very little if any trouble with your shoppers opening many windows when using your site. I consider it important to keep your window with internal navigation open on the shopper's browser while allowing him or her to open all other external links clicked on in that same blank window. Try it you may like it.

Gene
    TCS

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread