ABW Ambassador
    It is a federal offense to intentionally misdate mail with a postage meter. Mail must be deposited with the U.S. Postal Service on the date it is metered. Linkshare would be wise to discontinue their longstanding practice of metering mail and then depositing it several days to more than a week after it is metered.

I suspect there are steep fines for this practice and failure to comply would result in confiscation of the meter.

ABW Ambassador
    I'll bet a crispy new dollar that they either drop it off or have it picked up on the day they meter it, and that it takes the PO folks a while to "get around to it".

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

ABW Ambassador
    I agree...In fact the batch of checks that was mailed on according to Linkshare on 1/3/2003 was metered internally by Linkshare on 1/3 but actually delivered to the post office on 1/6, 3 days later.

So it appears that this practice continues in full force. For us that included 5 difference checks....All had this done.

Sarah, please address this as it seems a poor and unethical practice, regardless of legality.

ABW Ambassador
    Let's see... Hmmmm, January 3rd was a Friday and January 6th was a Monday. Suppose, just suppose that the mail was metered Friday night (as does happen - I know), and delivered to the post office the following business day - oh yeah, Monday the 6th. Makes sense to me.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    Obstinatedon - unfortunately there have been many others that are metered on a Monday and mailed on a Wednesday according the USPS meter. So this is not the case. If it were isolated or limited to weekends you might be correct, but it is not and therefore you are not (correct).

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Survey Man...

Just used the data in your post. Unfortunately, it is not factual that mail must be "postmarked" the date it is metered. It should indeed be given to the post office on that, or the nearest date available after metering - but whomever thinks that the post office's efficiency is high enough that every single item is postmarked the same day it enters their office is sadly mistaken.

Obstinatedon

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

Ok, here is the rules from the USPO:

Meter Date (P030.9)
    Except for prepaid reply postage, the month, day, and year must be shown in the meter stamp on all First-Class Mail and on all certified, COD, insured, registered, and special handling mail, whether the stamp is printed on the mailpiece or on a separate label or tape. The day, month, or year may be shown in indicia for Standard Mail or Package Services pieces (P030.9.12). Indicia printed by PC Postage Systems must include the day, month, and year in all uses.

Deposit (P030.11)
    Generally, metered mail must be deposited at locations designated by the postmaster of the licensing post office (i.e., the post office shown in the meter stamp). Exceptions include:

Single-piece First-Class Mail, Express Mail, and Priority Mail may be deposited in any street collection box or post office.
    Drop shipment of metered mail may be used (D072).

It has been my experience that if droping mail to the postoffice and the date has expired, then a $.00 stamp must be restamped with the correct mailing date.

Otherwise a bad boy letter usually comes from the post office.

Allen

[This message was edited by Gearshopper on January 09, 2003 at 06:05 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    "Just used the data in your post."

I am not sure what you mean, "used", but I as I stated, I do not know the actual legality of what is occuring but rather stated that my emphasis was on the importance of Linkshare mailing items out when they say the do...failure to do this is simply a poor and perhaps unethical practice which has occured fairly regularly this past year and again beginning this year.

Would you not agree?

ABW Ambassador
    Survey Man....

If indeed LinkShare has said that they mailed out a check, or series of checks, and they did not do so in order to hold the cash - then, unethical is the nicest term I would use.

Factually, I worked there for two years, and never knew this to happen - ever; although I do know that there were occasions when the accounting side and the processing side did not see eye to eye as it applies to the numbers themselves, and that would cause a delay.

One would have to understand that LinkShare makes no money on the float whatsoever; therefore, it never behooves them to hold an affiliate's cash - under any circumstance.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    Obstinedon - I am sure Linkshare is not making anything on the flow in regards to this issue and agree. My emphasis is on the importance of getting items mailed to the post off on time regularly. Why would they even both posting a mailed date if they do not actually get them in the mail until the follow (or three days) later?

It seems a little careful consideration of this would fend off any notion of incorrect mailing dates and therefore make this topic moot.

I hope that Linkshare will be more consistant going forward and make a more earnest effort when cutting and mailing checks. As an affiliate and a business partner this is a given.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with you pard. And, I can assure you that these threads are not just read by the rank and file at LinkShare. Stephen reads every damned one.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Stephen reads every damned one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If in fact he does, why have we not had an answer about the overwriting of links that are being discussed in another thread? In fact I noticed that at the time of the messages being posted icluding Sarah's he was in the forum but remained silent.
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    Cazzie...

I'm going to say this to you just like I said to another person just today. If you are having a problem with Stephen or LinkShare, call him. His number is 646-654-6000, press 0 and tell the lady who answers that you are an affiliate and you would like to speak with him.

If you don't, then you are simply typing to gripe and not get any answers. Sorry, but that is how I feel about it.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    That is not the point Don. I am only reacting to Sarah's post that she would test and get back to us. Griping on the forum or on the phone you still get the same crap handed back to you and nothing gets resovled. I don't take to kindly to lip service. Sh-t or get off the pot in plain english. Let us know where they stand once and for all so we can all move on.
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    Cazzie damnit. She said that she would test YESTERDAY! Sometime around noon if I recall correctly.

When was the last time you had a problem outside of the scope of your regular work (and believe me Sarah's primary job is not as the LinkShare Moderator for ABW), that vexed you, and you couldn't find the answer immediately? I know that happens to me. We are talking about one day now. Let's give her two - huh?

Listen Cazzie, I know your frustration. Hell, I personally received a call from Patrick at TopMoxie, and had to listen to his pitiful rhetoric and excuses before that pitiful excuse of a Summit happened on December 7th. That said, sometimes one cannot make things happen immediately - and you know it.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    Yes I do know it! Frustrated yes! And I can sense that you are frustrated also. I don't normally go off on anyone but this has been going on for such a long time and nothing has been resolved, I have to vent! In the real world I did my job and did it well, if I felt I was being abused in any way I would voice my concerns and if I didn't like the reply it was goodbye! I never took crap from anyone and I won't take it now. OK, give her another day and then I will know if I have to say goodbye to Linkshare. Sorry but I am really ticked off right now.
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    I know... Believe me, I know.

Not feeling very Obstinate - just Don

Mahatma Gandhi

Affiliate Network Rep
    After digging out from the holiday (both snow and work) I have finally had a chance to read up on some of the more recent posts. With regards to when we send out the checks (i.e. meter date). LinkShare produces these checks in batches, which means that we send out large groups of checks in large runs. We do this because unlike webmaster mike’s gerbils/parrot, we use an automated stuffing, stamping and sealing machine. Once the batches are run they are dropped off (same day) at the post office for bulk mail deliveries. If there is a delay in processing and postmarking the checks I am happy to have a talk with our local postal agent. With regards to what I can expect from our wonderful government bureaucracy I cannot say. But if this is a big problem, (as the posters suggest) then we are more then happy to do my best.

On the subject of Topmoxie and compliance with our addendum: It is widely agreed that LinkShare has taken the strongest stance in the industry with our addendum and in large measure that is because we have been actively and heavily enforcing it. Today we are the only provider with a history of getting these players to sign a contractual amendment and to change their behavior (most of this was completed before the forth quarter to protect our affiliates holiday commissions). As part of this process (of which you can see clearly described in our addendum) we perform testing of the software to assure compliance with our addendum. Once the software has been reviewed and it is clear that it does not overwrite the affiliate code we clear it for compliance. As our addendum sets out the provider must then give us advance notice of any changes prior to implementation so we can test those as well and certify them.

To date we have not been informed by Topmoxie of any changes. Topmoxie is an incorporated business and has a reputable standing in the business community. Topmoxie was one of the first to sign the addendum and make the changes (i.e. our history with them has been positive on this issue). When we are alerted by our affiliate partners of possible non-compliance we investigate those claims. This however is not a simple effort. We test in multiple environments under multiple scenarios. In addition, we are constantly looking at our testing procedure to see if it covers all the potential places where the technology might overwrite codes. In other words, we want to make sure that our testing procedures did not miss something in the compliance test. As anyone in technology knows you will always find bugs post launch and testing. This does not mean that the bugs where intentional. After all our efforts in this area, why would want to do that? Please recognize that this is a new area for us and the industry.

In the end, we are working diligently to investigate this issue but if any partner would expect a one day turnaround AND a through investigation I would recommend that they attempt to show me one company in the world that can do this. I don’t even believe the FBI could do that type of a job. LinkShare is committed to solving this problem, even if we have to do it on our own, but please allow us the time to work quickly and more importantly accurately. In the meantime if anyone does find a problem please send us what you have found, instructions on where we can download the software you are using, the tests you preformed (i.e. how you found it) and details on what exactly the software did. We will use that information to focus our investigations.

I know that I will take heat for this honest assessment of what we are doing/needs to be done and that everyone wants immediate action, but immediate and instantaneous are two very different things. I hope that everyone can respect my desire to make sure that LinkShare is thorough.

Best regards,
    Stephen

ABW Ambassador
    If you are confident that those responsible are delivering your mail to the post office on the same day as it is metered, I think you owe your users a followup with your post office because I find it extremely hard to believe that your post office is postmarking mail 6 days after they have received it. That just does not happen. It's against the law.

I also think you are defining the term bulk mail differently than what the post office defines it and what we know bulk mail to be, but that's not relevant to this discussion.

...and yet another mail day goes by without my October payment.

Could Linkshare get wire transfers, Paypal or heck, even give us the choice of paying for overnight delivery? I want a trackable method of being paid and I want to be paid in a timely manner. This is ridiculous.

Okay, I've complained enough here. My apologies for non-Linkshare employees who have had to read my posts. I just cannot express how angry I am with the payment process.

15 years and counting
    Stephen - Thanks for your answer. Don't give up. You're on a mission. My Stats at LS are showing something has been done. Either, I'm becoming better to find the Gems in your program or more merchants are becoming parasite free. Anyway, I can see the future. I know it takes time, I just don't want to waste it. Keep up the good work.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread