Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Well, I'm still waiting for my November payments for both Mondera and Overstock.com. Both were supposedly mailed on December 20th, but I doubt that the postmark will actually reflect that date.

I was hoping to have the checks in my hands by today so I could deposit them, but it looks like they'll be going on the books for calendar year 2003 now. I'm a relatively new affiliate, so I was counting on this income to balance out a few business expenses. Looks like I'll have to run the business at a loss this year--as far as the IRS is concerned.

I *so* wish that LinkShare offered Direct Deposit. Or, at the very least, could send the checks out faster after receiving the merchants' money.

Happy New Year to me.

Michael

I know how you feel. I'm still waiting for my November payment from Alibris. According to Linkshare's report, they're still "awaiting merchant payment." I have no way of knowing if the check is actually in the mail. Very frustrating.

If it says "awaiting merchant payment" then the cheque is not in the mail.

Just two weeks ago I got a cheque for August payment for supportkids.com, then the next day I got September's, then a week and a bit later I got October's.

Not all is due to late payment on the merchant behalf either. They're always late (all merchants) but they do come.

If LS could only fix that -- and do consolodated payments things would be much better.

'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around

I talked to a tax consultant today and she said that if the checks were cut before the end of the year (which they should have been) we will be 1099'd for them for 2002 and will pay taxes on that amount so they'd actually fall under 2002 even if you got them and they were deposited in 2003. At least that was my understanding of our conversation.

Direct deposit would be awesome. Hopefully we'll get it soon. I still want to hear Linkshare's explaination for taking MANY days to mail the checks even though they were cut and metered by the 20th.

Maggie
    maggie@dealhunting.com
    http://www.dealhunting.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DealHunting.com:
    I talked to a tax consultant today and she said that if the checks were cut before the end of the year (which they should have been) we will be 1099'd for them for 2002 and will pay taxes on that amount so they'd actually fall under 2002 even if you got them and they were deposited in 2003. At least that was my understanding of our conversation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's where I'm not quite sure. I *know* they'll be on 2002's 1099, but I also read in an IRS publication that you could only count income in the year it was deposited. Oh well--I'll figure it out when I file.

Michael

In a prior life I was a tax accountant so I have some experience in this area. Most people are what are called cash basis taxpayers. Another words they report income when received or constructively received. When it is deposited is irrelevant. Therefore if a check is dated in Dec 2002 you will be hard pressed to prove it is not constructively received 2002 income.

If you want to challenge putting the income on your 2002 return, keep a copy of the letter with the postmark date and a copy of the check. You probably can make a case for it to be 2003 income but to be honest it is not worth the risk of having your business subject to IRS/State audit review. Linkshare (and others) properly issue 1099's to the government and it is easy for IRS/State to match the income to the 1099's to what is on your tax return.

So my advice would be not to dispute the timing of the income unless the difference is outrageous (more than 15 days into 2003). Actually I never dispute the timing to make sure I do not raise a red flag to IRS.

I am sure there are expenses that we pay near the end of 2002 that are not withdrawn from our bank accounts until 2003. These things tend to even themselves out.

Hope this helps.

[This message was edited by Steve G on January 01, 2003 at 12:49 PM.]

[This message was edited by Steve G on January 01, 2003 at 12:50 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve G:
    In a prior life I was a tax accountant so I have some experience in this area.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks so much for your advice, Steve! I was actually just reading up on the cash accounting method and "constructive receipt of income". It states that checks received in 2002 but not deposited until 2003 are still 2002 income. Therefore, the check that I should have by now will still be counted as 2002. Fantastic.

How long ago were you a tax accountant, Steve? Mind if I fire off a question to you?

Michael

Michael, I am still pretty current as far as taxes go. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Steve G,

Any idea what companies such as LinkShare report if anything to the Canadian Goverenment for Canadian based affiliates and how they write checks off that are cut to Canadian citizens?

October BareNeccessities payment is MIA here...

Linkshare reporting is not working for me so far this year either...

Trouble comes in threes - what's next?

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EmDub:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DealHunting.com:
    I talked to a tax consultant today and she said that if the checks were cut before the end of the year (which they should have been) we will be 1099'd for them for 2002 and will pay taxes on that amount so they'd actually fall under 2002 even if you got them and they were deposited in 2003. At least that was my understanding of our conversation.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, that's where I'm not quite sure. I *know* they'll be on 2002's 1099, but I also read in an IRS publication that you could only count income in the year it was deposited. Oh well--I'll figure it out when I file.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Michael,

If you are on a cash basis for your tax accounting...which means your income is figured on the basis of when you get it you spend it..*G*, you will post it to 2003 but if you are on an accrual basis you would post it to 2002.

Hope this helps. If it is on your statement simply deduct it on your 1040C as earned income for 2003 in the income section.

(I use to be an income tax consultant and instructor)

Ann

[http://www.starlightastrology.com/weblounge.htm/]

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi All,

As a quick reminder, there are 2 payment reports to help you keep track of the status of a merchant's commission payments. The Merchant Payment History report details the date on when LinkShare receives payment from those merchants using LinkShare to process affiliate payments. Once we receive a merchant's payment, we will update your Merchant Payment History report to indicate that date, and then it will typical takes 7-10 business days for LinkShare to process and distribute individual checks. Your individual Payment Report will be updated with your check information when we mail your payment. That being said...

EmDub - LinkShare received November payment for Mondera on Dec 12 and for Overstock on Dec 11. Individual affiliate payments would likely have been mailed end of last week - please review your Payment Report and email me if your check information for these merchants has not yet been updated.

Fairla - LinkShare received November payment for Alibris on Dec 18. Excluding Christmas and New Year's days, individual payments should likely be mailed the end of this week.

Buy_online - LinkShare also received November payment for Bare Necessities on Dec 18, and individual payments should likely be mailed the end of this week as well.

I hope this information is helpful - please let me know if I may provide additional assistance.
    Sarah

Thank you Sarah, I am excited that the end of this week is today!

Just for fun, I wanted to ask if what I see in the reports is true... Bare Neccessities sent both October and November payments to you in December, (received by LS on December 18th)?

I wonder why BN was so late with their October payment to LS?

Thanks again,

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LinkShare Moderator:
    EmDub - LinkShare received November payment for Mondera on Dec 12 and for Overstock on Dec 11. Individual affiliate payments would likely have been mailed end of last week - please review your Payment Report and email me if your check information for these merchants has not yet been updated.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right. And both were supposedly sent on December 20th. Now it's January 3rd, and still no check in my mailbox. Anybody still waiting for November Mondera or Overstock.com?

Michael

Yes EmDub, and I'm getting VERY upset. Were your checks to be very large? I've gotten my small checks from Dec. 20th but coincidently I haven't gotten the big ones. Or IS this a coincidence?

Maggie
    maggie@dealhunting.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    And to think, people actually ask me why I don't run any links from LS, and why I love CJ!

It's the most wonderful time of the year! ~From a "Golden Era" Christmas Song

ABW Ambassador
    Yes EmDub, and I'm getting VERY upset. Were your checks to be very large? I've gotten my small checks from Dec. 20th but coincidently I haven't gotten the big ones. Or IS this a coincidence?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's *very* interesting. Based on the fact that you stated you do over a million dollars worth of business with Overstock, mine aren't quite as large. But they are each still a few hundred dollars. They better be coming today...

Michael

Michael,

Actually, that's over million total for all stores I list. In that thread I was referring to the fact that coupons work well, and wasn't just talking about Overstock. Didn't mean to mislead anyone there. But, my OS check is over $3k and I hope it's in today's mail delivery.

Maggie
    maggie@dealhunting.com

ABW Ambassador
    But, my OS check is over $3k and I hope it's in today's mail delivery.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So did it come? Still no Overstock or Mondera checks here. Both a few hundred dollars, and both supposedly sent on December 20th.

Michael

Yes, finally. Thank goodness. OS was in today's mail. I think I got Mondera's on Monday. Maybe give it until Monday or Tuesday. I still find it very hard to believe it took two weeks to go from New York to Oklahoma. It's normally 3 days. I really think they didn't mail it until very recently. I got another check from NY today (not LS) and it was mailed the 30th of Dec.

Maggie
    maggie@dealhunting.com

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, finally. Thank goodness. OS was in today's mail. I think I got Mondera's on Monday. Maybe give it until Monday or Tuesday. I still find it very hard to believe it took two weeks to go from New York to Oklahoma. It's normally 3 days. I really think they didn't mail it until very recently. I got another check from NY today (not LS) and it was mailed the 30th of Dec.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What was the postmark date on your OS check? This is ridiculous. Thanks.

Michael

There wasn't a postmark on this one. It was METERED on the 20th but Linkshare does all that in their own office with their machines and all the checks I got on Monday were metered the 20th too but some postmarked for the 26th.

I'd bet they didn't mail it until the 29th or so. Hope yours comes on Monday. Since you're in Utah and it's a little further from Oklahoma, I'd bet that it will be there Monday or Tuesday at the latest as we were probably the last batch to go out on the same day.

Maggie
    maggie@dealhunting.com

ABW Ambassador
    Still not here--this is ridiculous. Anybody else still missing their November Mondera or Overstock.com checks?

Michael

I haven't been paid by any of my Linkshare merchants for November. This is getting ridiculous.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi -

buy_online - Although Bare Necessities sent the October payment in a timely manner, due to an inadvertent human error, LinkShare did not process this affiliate payment until December 18, 2002. We apologize for the delay in October payments and have mailed these payments as of January 3, 2003.

EmDub and Dealhunting - If you still have not received a payment that your Payment Report indicates was sent more than 7 business days ago, please send me an email with your account information and I will investigate the status of your payment.

Additionally, I want to take this opportunity to remind everyone to review the Profile area of their account and ensure that all information is accurate and complete. In investigating recent payment inquiries, I have found that several issues were due to outdated address information or a missing Tax ID. Note that once your earnings reach $600, this becomes taxable income and LinkShare will ask that you complete a W9 form - if we do not have your Tax ID on file, this will delay our ability to send your payments.

Thanks,
    Sarah

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast