Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Linkshare,

Where are us affiliates standing in regards to Topmoxie overwriting links? It appears that nothing has changed. It would sure be nice to know with an update on this situiation for us hardworking affiliates.

Allen Nance

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi Allen,

Topmoxie has signed LinkShare's addendum. We have tested and reviewed the current version of their technology, and found it to be in compliance with our terms.

Sarah

Sarah,

Thank you for your reply.

Does this mean that overwriting links are allowed by Linkshare?

Can you tell me about this part of the Linkshare agreement?

6.5. You agree that You shall not:

Distribute or display, or authorize or use any third party to distribute or display, any Qualifying Link or any other Link of any Network Merchant created or obtained through the Network by means of any browser extension or other software or technology which is downloaded to or installed on the Web user's personal computer or other Web access device and which serves advertisements, promotional material or links as an overlay upon, a substitute for content in, as a "pop-up" keyed by content or key words on a Webpage requested or viewed by such Web user;

Does that mean that sites using Topmoxie browser plugins are not compliant?

I request a further expliantion please.

Sincerely,

Allen Nance

[This message was edited by Gearshopper on January 07, 2003 at 10:20 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LinkShare Moderator:
    Topmoxie has signed LinkShare's addendum. We have tested and reviewed the current version of their technology, and found it to be in compliance with our terms.

Sarah<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sarah,
    By this, I am assuming that you're saying that TopMoxie software, which eBates is using, is in compliance and is NOT overwriting our affiliate links. Please correct me if I misunderstand you. If this is correct, then someone needs to go back and do a little better job at testing.

I have eBates installed on my computer just for testing. As of a few minutes ago, I clicked on several of my affiliate links for Linkshare merchants from my site. Every one of these were automatically redirected by eBates without any intervention from me.

These are the ones I randomly checked and eBates redirected:
    Paul Fredrick MenStyle
    Yves Rocher
    Hickory Farms
    Sephora
    Gardeners Supply
    Lillian Vernon
    Illuminations
    Brooks Brothers
    Overstock
    jcrew
    onehanesplace
    Mrs. Fields Cookies
    Nabisco Gifts
    1-800-FLOWERS.COM
    Hallmark

Nothing has changed.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback. The terms of LinkShare's addendum do not allow sites to overwrite affiliate links. Based on the information we have received, we will perform further testing on Top Moxie's technology to ensure compliance. We will let you know when this is complete.

Sarah

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sarah;
    Please withhold commission payments from ALL TopMoxie Duper affiliates till the issue is resolved. That is the only way they will understand the urgency and not just turn back obn the auto-redirects and ID# swapping.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    Further testing
    How long before we know results?
    This should take 1 day max. Download the application on a clean machine and go to an affiliate site and click affiliate links and see if redirection occurs. Any reason this won't work? We should know by tonite.

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LinkShare Moderator:
    Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback. The terms of LinkShare's addendum do not allow sites to overwrite affiliate links. Based on the information we have received, we will perform further testing on Top Moxie's technology to ensure compliance. We will let you know when this is complete.

Sarah<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sarah,

Thank you for looking into this. As I am reading the following:

Distribute or display, or authorize or use any third party to distribute or display, any Qualifying Link or any other Link of any Network Merchant created or obtained through the Network by means of any browser extension or other software or technology which is downloaded to or installed on the Web user's personal computer or other Web access device and which serves advertisements, promotional material or links as an overlay upon, a substitute for content in, as a "pop-up" keyed by content or key words on a Webpage requested or viewed by such Web user

Is not the Topmoxie program a "third party to distribute or display"? Am I to believe that any affiliate(s) using a third party browser extension program or technology that has been installed on a web user's personal computer is not allowed?

Sarah, I don't understand legal mumbo jumbo... Please give us an educated lesson in contract law.

Thank you,

Allen Nance

These are the ones I randomly checked and eBates redirected:
    Paul Fredrick MenStyle
    Yves Rocher
    Hickory Farms
    Sephora
    Gardeners Supply
    Lillian Vernon
    Illuminations
    Brooks Brothers
    Overstock
    jcrew
    onehanesplace
    Mrs. Fields Cookies
    Nabisco Gifts
    1-800-FLOWERS.COM
    Hallmark

Unquote

I have wondered why these once producing merchants are no longer producing well if at all. There are others not on this list that are in the same boat.

Sarah, the necessary unbiased tests necessary to confirm these parasites are doing what we affiliates know they are doing should not take more than a few hours to complete. When you find the results match our claims, action should be swift to remove them. They have shown that they have no intentions to stop doing what they are doing. Other merchants here on ABW have proven that.

Gene
    TCS

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1:
    Further testing
    How long before we know results?
    This should take 1 day max.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More like 15 minutes, but then it's been a year or more already - in all this time they've never been able to confirm what everyone here is telling them? How do they run the tests anyway, sort of like UN arms inspectors in their morning call? "Hello, we're going to points a, b & c today, see you in a few." Then dutifully reporting in that night that they saw no violations.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Sarah,

This is not directed to you personally at all. I know it's just your job to come here and respond to posts, and that's appreciated. At least you are here responding.

But I find it impossible to believe that LS is not currently aware the exact circumstances in which top moxie apps are continuing to automatically redirect links. If that were the caes, they are the only ones who are uneducated in the matter. I find it quite disheartening that LS has taken the stance that top moxie is compliance. I also realize that while top moxie signed the agreement, many users of their technology did not. Since top moxie themselves does not ultilize the tecnology, I don't even see the significance of that. So what if they signed the agreement and then don't come into compliance. What are you going to do, kick top moxie out of your LS program? They are an affiliate anyway. That's smoke and screens. The issue is the companies who have licensed top moxie products. It's their problem to come into compliance with or without top moxie's help.

I find this very disheartening. I was truly hoping for better from LS and that they would be rising above the actions of the other networks. Well, I suppose I can continue to hope.... but there are alernatives to leaving myself open to pilfering. And these are the steps I've already begun and will continue to expand upon in 2003. But zero tolerance for merchants participating with parasites (defined by Haiko's published definition and not what any one particular says is or is not compliant) is my first screening criteria. Can make for a short list, but then it gives me the ability to focus promotions more intensesly for the merchants I am working with. Hopefully I'll be able to add more LS merchants in the future.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    Okay, I'll catch hell for this from all sides - but what the heck, you can just blast away.

For those of you testing eBates... What version(s) are you using. Sounds like Patrick and TopMoxie are not going to change their ways anytime soon, but I understand that eBates has with their last version - word of mouth, so I am not sure.

Mike, it has taken a while, but I do indeed agree with you this time. It is time to hit them where they live if they are indeed resorting to the nefarious tactics of overwriting links - again.

Though I hold no position with any of the providers, I can yell louder than most - and will.

BLFH, what say you about your current testing and LinkShare? I know you are using the latest software, so - are the links being overwritten or not?

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Obstinatedon:
    Okay, I'll catch hell for this from all sides - but what the heck, you can just blast away.

For those of you testing eBates... What version(s) are you using. Sounds like Patrick and TopMoxie are not going to change their ways anytime soon, but I understand that eBates has with their last version - word of mouth, so I am not sure.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What difference does it make which version is installed? Because the new version doesn't override, does that mean that it's ok for old versions to continue to override? Just how many of the millions of users that have old versions on their computers know that they're supposed to go and get a new version? Even if they knew they should, I can't see the actual user updating it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    BLFH, what say you about your current testing and LinkShare? I know you are using the latest software, so - are the links being overwritten or not?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although I'm not the one you addressed this to, I can say that eBates is still automatically redirecting affiliate links under certain conditions on me as of today.

ABW Ambassador
    Linda, you said:

"What difference does it make which version is installed? Because the new version doesn't override, does that mean that it's ok for old versions to continue to override? Just how many of the millions of users that have old versions on their computers know that they're supposed to go and get a new version? Even if they knew they should, I can't see the actual user updating it."

No, of course it doesn't mean that it's okay for the old versions to override. Do you honestly think I said anything of that sort, or are you letting your ire reach a point where you have decided to use the shotgun approach as it applies to spewing caustic posts?

What do we do about getting all those millions of users to get rid of the old versions. Can't be done - right? Therefore, what are other alternatives?

One, the providers can simply shitcan eBates and any other affiliate who has ever used TopMoxie. Since there are two documents out there today that offer recourse if they do it again, that would certainly stand as litigious once they were barred from doing business with said providers after coming into compliance.

Two, the providers can take a very hard line as it applies to any thieving affiliate in the future.

Three, we can whine, ***** and moan to our hearts content; and accomplish absolutely nothing - period!

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Obstinatedon said:
    but I understand that eBates has with their last version - word of mouth, so I am not sure.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don, what date was this new version supposed to have come out? Are you talking about second update in December? That's the latest revision I'm aware. Think it was around the 7th or 10th, something like that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>BLFH, what say you about your current testing and LinkShare? I know you are using the latest software, so - are the links being overwritten or not?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Havent' done any testing since early this past weekend. I then had to ctrl + alt + del both ebates and whenu because they were getting in the way of some other stuff I needed to do. I hven't rebooted my computer yet. But as of Saturday, redirects were still happening under certain conditions. If there's been a change, it's been very recent. To be honest, I can't recall exactly what all networks were involved in the redirects I was seeing on Saturday. But I was seeing affiliate link redirects.

As far as what versions are being used by folks, ebates has already shown their ability to update all versions out there on people's computers. They did this with the first update after the Nov 7th meeting. So there's absolutely no excuse for not doing this again if they have programmed the software to stay off of all affiliate links. Even though they just did the update without any type of update notice screen to the user nor instructions that the user would need to reboot x 2 for it to take effect nor did they have the computer automatically reboot after the update or prompt the user to update. That is a very easy thing to do within the Windows interface. I get it all the time.

ABW Ambassador
    The 10th update is the latest I am aware of as well BLFH. If indeed eBates can upgrade all users transparently, then it should be done now!

I will start making calls in the morning to stir the pot.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

You are correct Obdon that only the actual withholding of commissions till all versions of the TopMoxie theftwarez are proven NOT TO overwrite affiliate cookies and ID#'s is the proper solution. Threats don't work as they can turn on and off the offending features now they have a programming fix.

I suspect the "incent" BHO crowd of parasitic Dupers have threatened some law suits if LS and others cut off their autofeeds of coupons-rebates and food for their popup applications. They see their entire business model depends upon unbridled assess to any textual webpage reference to merchant keywords or URLs taht trigger a popup, setting a cookie or ID swapping after re-directs.

They cannot honor their loyality shopping rewards and split commission payouts if they have to play by the rules or conducting business within the boundries of their own lame domains. TopMoxie has to sell their app to NEW parasites, who are lining up fake charity/donation sites in mass, along with upgrades and licenses to all the "incent" shopping bar sites.

The root of all this compliance problems is they actual withholding of commission payments for any and all BHO parasites til they get a complete compliance review and network seal of approval. Busting this Seal will cause perminent forfeiture of commission payments.

Webmaster Mike

"Anyone can make a dollar, it is when you make sense that it starts to add up."...does your eBiz plan make sense?

ABW Ambassador
    "TopMoxie has to sell their app to NEW parasites, who are lining up fake charity/donation sites in mass, along with upgrades and licenses to all the "incent" shopping bar sites."

Mike; a word to the wise. Don't continue making this type of statement on public boards.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

Stir away Don.

They push the edge ..so do I Obdon. I've no real insider knowledge of what TopMoxie is up to in recruiting new licensee customers. I just asume that the hook has to have some bait to encourage massive downloads and the coupon/rebate field seems already crowed. Why not have Joe Blow affiliate pick out a charity or donation cause subject from a hat of 5000 non-profits and hide the proceeds without having to hassle with payouts to loyality shoppers from the "hairlippedparrots.com" donation site.

Webmaster Mike

Fake charity / donation sites will quickly get the attention of states' Attornies General. Report them quickly to your state and the state where they are located.

The networks should require complete copies of non-profit paperwork required for this business tax status before accepting any "incent" BHO affiliate. No valid paperwork ..no access to the network. Remember the Morpheus/Buyersport Lexy foundation's lack of paperwork to place them under Attorney General guidelines and scrutney.

Webmaster Mike

If a person or organization says they are a "charity", and they are not, that is fraud. State A.G.s love to make mincemeat out of those folks. Gets votes.

Criminal and civil penalties are much worse than anything Linkshare / others can do.

ABW Ambassador
    They must be doing some serious testing, guess that is why we have not gotten a reply back! Yeah tell me another one.
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    Any updates?

Refuse To Lose - Chuck D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast