Affiliate Network Rep
    Dear ABestWeb:

As many of you know, a year ago LinkShare began to address the parasiteware issue. I am proud to say that we were the first to recognize the importance of the issue and the first to respond to it -- with our amended contract and most recently, with our addendum (which has already been published on ABestWeb). And while our approach has not proceeded without some hiccups and surely is not finished, we are committed and succeeding in protecting our Network.

Many of you also know that thanks to the help of Shawn from Overstock, Haiko from ABestWeb and Wayne from AffTrack, LinkShare sponsored an event to discuss the issue, which culminated in a meeting in NYC on November 7th. The idea behind the event to try to find a way to solve this complex problem. The goal was to propose a solution by early December.

LinkShare has and will continue to pursue our original path of using LinkShare’s addendum to protect affiliates and merchants. We were pleased that the other providers have finally taken a position. Our addendum however, is already inclusive of any “code of conduct” and, in our opinion, gives our partners the type of protection they truly need.

In light of the time and effort that so many affiliates gave to the process, we thank you and reaffirm that irrespective of the other players, LinkShare will to forge ahead to solve this issue. In the past few months, we have been actively signing some of the largest players in the industry to our contractual addendum and are happy to say that the majority of the large players signed prior to the fourth quarter holiday rush. As part of this push, these software companies modified their software so that it would not cause you to lose your LinkShare commissions. I am pleased to announce that, to date, most of the key players, including the companies listed below, have signed our addendum and are in compliance with its terms:

WURLD Media/Buyer’s Port (Morpheus)
    TopMoxie (and their nine clients, including eBates, Upromise, etc.)
    ShopAtHome Select
    FatWallet

Hopefully, their cooperation will not go unnoticed by the merchants and affiliates in The LinkShare Network®.

Let me conclude by thanking all of you who contributed to moving this discussion forward. LinkShare is grateful for all of your support.

Best regards,
    Stephen Messer
    LinkShare Corporation

Steve,

I'm just curious as to why Linkshare didn't sign on to the one that the other 3 have. Just giving you a chance to clearify things. Do you feel that the addendum that Linkshare has come out with better protects the Affiliates and the Merchants. Thanks Steve!

[This message was edited by DaPackster on December 10, 2002 at 03:52 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Stephen Messer
    LinkShare Corporation <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Help us Obiwan, you're our only hope....

Vicki

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

eBates signed your ammendum yet continues to overwrite affiliate links?

Am I missing something?

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Stephen,

Thanks for posting LS position for the community here at ABW. Aftering reading your statement and being the person that I am, I immediately headed out to do a bit of testing. Now granted, I have done nothing extensive at this point in time, and will follow up with more comprehensive testing. But....

I went through several LS affiliate links to different merchants and did not see any evidence of ebates activating whatsoever, let alone redirecting! Not even some type of opportunity to prompt the user to get their rebate by doing something "actionable." Simply amazing. Not in one instance. I did however go to these same merchants by direct type in and ebates did it's thing.

I also went to a couple of merchants through affiliate links through other networks (this is just for the community at large) and experienced automatic redirects. Now granted per the Code of Conduct, they have 60 days yet to change. But the fact is at this moment, with the limited testing I did, I found no overwriting or ebates even showing at all.

So if my testing holds up and I get these same results over LS merchants throughout who have associations with ebates, then I salute and bow in humble gratitude just before I scamper over to LS to join more merchants and do some switching of who I affiliate with.

Of course, all contingent on further testing. And if I find anything differently, then you'll be the first to know. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

As far as why test ebates, well, that is probably obvious and it is one that I have on my computer. But testing of those other ones will happen too I'm sure. And I have seen ebates effecting LS links in the very recent past.

So thanks for doing what needed to be done. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Thanks Stephen -Wayne -Elizabeth -Haiko and even Obstinatedon for all you pro-active moves to protect Linkshare from shady affiliates and pseudo "incent" merchants. I've read and re-read both statements and feel, just like our Constitution was in need of "amendments", your signiture on todays published BHO (affiliate applications/Technology affiliates) Policy statement would be productive. Not one word, that I could decern, was contrary to your addendium. Make it unanamious.

Together they work to muzzle the abusive affiliates and detour others from emulating them...as in Constitution and necessary ammendments. Sign both and notify all your merchant partners of your stance to take the HO out of the BHO.

WebMaster Mike

"Vision without Action is a daydream .. Action without vision can be a nightmare"
    Combine the two and you have the makings of a profitable reality!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamBay:
    eBates signed your ammendum yet continues to overwrite affiliate links?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Top Moxie signed it, eBates directly has not as of yet!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Looks like Linkshare merchants are going to be moving to the tops of my pages, above the fold. Good job.

Sales are everywhere, Sales are mine.

Would it be possible to post again (or give the link) to the Linkshare proposal?

I would like to take another look at it and can't find it.

Thanks!
    Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamBay:
    eBates signed your ammendum yet continues to overwrite affiliate links?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Top Moxie signed it, eBates directly has not as of yet!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Then why does Stephen's post say "TopMoxie (and their nine clients, including eBates, Upromise, etc.)?"

Stephen, could you please clarify?

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Altering another Publisher’s site.
    Publishers may not alter, change, substitute or
    modify the content of or appearance to an End-User of another Publisher’s Web pages,
    use that Publisher’s content to obtain an End-User referral, or obstruct access to
    another Publisher’s Web pages (regardless of receiving permission from the End-
    User).

Does this include the alteration of the user experience by the creation of pop ups, URL redirects, contextual advertising, flyovers, site framing and IE task bars (by Task bars I refer to items that replicate the action of the "favourites" / Media" bars)

Thanks

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Chris,

That would be the from the Code of Conduct put forth by CJ, BF, and Performics. Not LS. And a also contained in that Code is the statement that interpretation of the code is left up to the individual networks. So to answer your question, I suppose you would have to ask BF, CJ, and Performics individually how they interpret it and do the situations you outline mean those activities can't be done per the Code.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hiya

The code is supposed to cover all networks, not just LS, I'm posting here as this is the thread most relevant to me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

My question is quite basic, does the code allow people to use these objects/functions on any site and then be considered "good people", if so then.. well, no sorry it doesn't hold water. Anyone who can effect a users experience on our site after we have PAID to get them there either with money or resource usage is utterly not accetable.

Thanks

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hopefully, their cooperation will not go unnoticed by the merchants and affiliates in The LinkShare Network®.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I truly hope their "cooperation" will not go unnoticed by merchants.

I really wish you (Linkshare and/or all other networks) would distance yourselves from the modern-day train robbers. When the parasites get shot down in a ball of flames, and the banditos find their asses in PRISON, I don't want to see the Networks go down with them.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And a also contained in that Code is the statement that interpretation of the code is left up to the individual networks. So to answer your question, I suppose you would have to ask BF, CJ, and Performics individually how they interpret it and do the situations you outline mean those activities can't be done per the Code.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean there are gray area's here?

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 14K_Deelz:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Hopefully, their cooperation will not go unnoticed by the merchants and affiliates in The LinkShare Network®.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I truly hope their "cooperation" will not go unnoticed by merchants.

I really wish you (Linkshare and/or all other networks) would distance yourselves from the modern-day train robbers. When the parasites get shot down in a ball of flames, and the banditos find their asses in PRISON, I don't want to see the Networks go down with them.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only that but Im surprised that LS doesnt see this as a HUGE opprotunity to gain marketshare over CJ as in LS announces that they will definitely not tolerate this sort of thing because it damages affiliates AND merchants, then affiliates and merchants alike all flock to LS!

Can we get an update on the progress that LS is making regards addendum compliance? Will there be testing to guarantee continued compliance? A signature and verbal promise does not constitute compliance, only a declaration that there is compliance.

Before I promote any LS merchants heavier than I am presently, I need to know. Exceptions are the merchants that have distanced themselves from the parasites. Those merchants get prime booking.

Gene
    TCS

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread