Hello,

I am pretty new at this, now I can set it up so that I post a message on a forum and say something like: Hey Dell has this great deal or Amazon ect....blah blah, and I will get it set up so that they specific word automatically link to Dell, Amazon, ect..

The problem is THIS:
    Let's say I say Dell has this great deal...
    And I have a generic link to Dell, then someone comes and posts a DIRECT link to a configuration / product ect... I would get commision. The problem is linkshare only has a specific range of ads / links. Is there any way I can automatically add my tracking id to user posted links so I can get commision?

I hope this makes sense.

Hmmm...not really sure by what you mean.
    Do you own the forum?

If YES then you allow your user to post link to deals, you are allowing people to SPAM your forum.

If NOT then I suggest you not posting any links in anyone forum with your affiliate id on it. If ok if it's a DIRECT link to the merchant site. Unless you have permission from the forum's owner to post ad. Otherwise, you will be considered spamming the forum.

Regards,

=xo=

ABW Ambassador
    Are you seriously suggesting that you want to add your affiliate id to a link in a forum? By definition, a forum is a meeting place, a place to swap ideas and seek advice.
    Are you asking how to add your id to a link on this forum? or one like it?
    Or are you meaning that you want to add your id to a link on your web site pointing to a special that is not found on the Linkshare site?
    If it isn't in Linkshare, or whatever company, then it is probably not for the use of affiliates

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Hmmm...not really sure by what you mean.
    Do you own the forum?

Yes.

If YES then you allow your user to post link to deals, you are allowing people to SPAM your forum.

Not if the forums has to do with getting deals. I.e. A user says that REI has a great sale or a specific product on Sale. REI will automatically link, but 99% a user will post on a direct link to the product in question. Since the user created that "regular" link I wouldn't get credit, even though they came as a result of a message on my forum.

Are you seriously suggesting that you want to add your affiliate id to a link in a forum? By definition, a forum is a meeting place, a place to swap ideas and seek advice.

Yes, if the whole purpose of the forum is to share "deals" then it's a perfect application.

Are you asking how to add your id to a link on this forum? or one like it?

On my forum, it's pretty more advance IMHO, but it's my forum.

Or are you meaning that you want to add your id to a link on your web site pointing to a special that is not found on the Linkshare site?
    If it isn't in Linkshare, or whatever company, then it is probably not for the use of affiliates.

Again, here is my dillema. Let's say a user say DELL has a great deal on a computer with X config. They post a direct link to the config. I won't get credit as Dell won't be able to track it. Even though I am a Dell affiliate.

Hope this Clears things up, and I look forward to your responses.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    You can go in and edit the link to reflect you ID, ensuring your credit.

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi All

I'd like to add that there are many forums around that are based around coupons and deal posting and users are encouraged to post leads and links. So lets not all jump on the spamwagon here....

Creating custom links very much depends on the Merchant and whether they

a. Have custom (deep) linking enabled
    b. Allow links to be changed

For example you could take any standard text link and change the text to the content you wanted and then post it on the forum.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Sanderson
    "Lets sell some rocks.....!!"

Mondera.com Partner Management
    90 Return Days : 100% Parasite Free : Fast Support : Commission on ALL Sales.

Visit the Mondera Partner Support Zone : Click Here

"a. Have custom (deep) linking enabled"

How can I do this. If I get hundreds of posts a day, it's "impossible" to add my info to every direct product link manually. Now do you see my problem?

Sounds like an attempt at thievery to me. It is your forum and if you are an affiliate of the poster, add your own link to the forum. But if the poster does not supply a link to his affiliates for this special, he does not want you using the posting for your private gain. To add your affiliate ID would be same as what the parasites are doing to merchants where no commission is intended.

For shame.

Gene
    TCS

Affiliate of the poster? I have no idea what you are talking about! It's a business, it's MY forum. The whole purpose of the forum is to find online "deals" If I am paying $50 a month for hosting, adn all other costs. This is a business.

A while back, DejaNews.com tried to do this with usenet postings, didn't they?

Apart from the technical issues, my recollection is that they got a lot of hassle from people posting, who didn't want their posts being "interfered with" without their permission. Whether that's a problem for you depends on your forum, its rules and your users.

You may also find some merchants don't like this. Many merchants see the affiliate program purely as a way of getting extra links and customers. They would get the link whether or not you add your affiliate id, since they're being recommended by a forum user. In which case, they're "paying for nothing" if they have to pay you a commission. (I'm not saying whether this is justified or not, just anticipating their reaction). So you might find some merchants dumping you.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread