Affiliateville, USA
    Got the following email from Oreck today.

We're going to expire inactive (zero sales) relationships with the expectation that serious affiliates will reapply. New applicants are going to be closely screened to insure adherence to Oreck's affiliate marketing guidelines.

To the folks at Oreck: Go ahead, make my day....Drop Me!!

Seems they only want affiliates who can produce big time for them. Just like a big business....loosing site of the little guy.

I hope they fall on their face big time with this move.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

ABW Ambassador
    North Carolina
    [Edited to remove post]

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Eh, I just haven't developed a page for them yet. If they drop me, I won't reapply, though, just persue one of the other dozen merchants on my list.

"Nothing like a nice piece of hickory."
    -Preacher, Pale Rider

15 years and counting
    What are they going to do next? They want my direct contact, too, why should I give them?
    They are not worth my time. Bye, bye Oreck.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

I don't understand why when these merchants clean house they don't exclude affiliates that have joined recently? Say, exclude affiliates that are less than 60 days active.

I just joined them a few weeks ago and built a page featuring their products. This page has only been up a week and has not been picked up by the SEs yet.

Now I'm sure I could email or call Paul and reapply and everything would be ok, but the fact that they don't possess this kind of insight or smarts to exclude new affiliates makes me alarmed about what kind of future hassles will this apparent lack of basic logic cause me in the long run.

I'm gonna have to sleep on this one.

- Perturbed in the night.

Looks like another case of the:

I certainly hope this isn't where's the number for the CDC???

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

I just dropped them, I only joined 2 weeks ago and hadn't even finished the creative.

Bad affiliate management

I like Oreck very much, and I've had enough sales with them.

I thought they were trying to consolidate their affiliates for more effective communications and solutions, I disagree with you guys.

Outsourced Program Manager Paul Schroader's Avatar
    Thanks, SamBay. We feel that effective communications is a must. While I understand the initial misperceptions, by many affiliates, I'm a bit baffled by the negativity.

Our program numbers speak for themselves, but it's not all about money. Please see my post at Important changes for more details on this.

By no means is this move meant to stick it to the little guy. The purpose is two-fold: 1 - To protect the brand & 2 - To better communications.

I understand emotion being part of any affiliate's mindset, because many of our sites are a labor of love. I say "our" because I too know what it's like to depend on income from affiliate sales. I've spent many an hour, just like you, optimizing for advertisers. Sometimes it feels like the advertiser is showing no love, but I can assure you, there is a lot of love behind the Oreck program.

We have many affiliates who've felt the love, and I hope that, with patience, we'll have many more.

For all the negative, paranoia-driven responses, we've received great deal more supportive messages and hope to continue rewarding our affiliates.

Our program is only going to get better and it's a shame that some are so willing to make a hasty retreat.

Paul Schroader
    Affiliate Relationship Manager

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread