Is anyone making any money with Priceline or Orbiz? Seems as if I can't. I am sure it's something I am doing, which I would then like to change.

ABW Ambassador
    On 832 dynamic search box clickthroughs, I have only 7 purchases with Orbitz. I need to switch them out when I get a chance...

I haven't made too much $ with Orbitz b/c of low commissions but have made $$ with pricelne's searchbox and coupons

I haven't had much luck with any of Linkshare's programs. I ran a test awhile back on an offer that was available at Linkshare and another network. When I ran the offer through the other network, it converted THREE TIMES BETTER than Linkshare. I think the numbers speak for themself.

Affiliate Manager
    I don't have a LinkShare program- but I'd be happy to work with any of you on CJ or in-house- just send me a note or give me a call!

There are so many ways to make money on travel links- don't waste time with things that aren't working!

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There are so many ways to make money on travel links- don't waste time with things that aren't working!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You may want to check with Jamie about all the time I've spent trying to get paid for sales through your links at CJ that didn't track! And the link was taken directly from CJ without any modification whatsoever.

Affiliate Manager
    Bidding-
    I will definately talk to Jamie. Please let me know at any time if you feel like something needs to be escalated.

Jessica Hutson

I've sent thousands of clicks to hotel discounts without a single sale - I contacted Jamie about it too - nothing but the usual brush off - we'll look into it.

Any tips about how to get some money out of these people?

Even if I was only getting a lousy 1 sale per 300 clicks (this is about what I got from parasite infested expedia), I should have had about 15 sales - so you can't tell me that CJ link is tracking!

How about it Jessica?

Affiliate Manager
    giveawayrooms -
    We do use batching on the cj system- so sometimes you won't see a sale until the next month. I'll follow up with Jamie on your situation and make sure you get a call or email on this. Jamie does run test bookings constantly, so she can probably find the results of yours. Generally, you won't always hear back if they come back fine. The unusual times that we do find a tracking problem- we always contact the affiliate back and work it out.

I know that many people prefer the cj program for consolidated payment- but it may be helpful to know that I have more control over and statistics behind our in house program as well as more flexibility which can increase your look to book.

While 3,000 clicks with no sales isn't unheard of- it is unusual. Jamie or I will get back with you soon. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Jessica Hutson

Jessica

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Actually it 5200 clicks with zero sales! - The links went up about 8 months ago - so it's not batching causing the problem!

Affiliate Manager
    Bidding-
    Jamie did test your links- and her test came out with two that worked and two that did not. She is discussing this with our tech team today and will follow through to make sure you are credited for your bookings and we find out what happened on your links. This is not a situation we have seen before- generally a link is just good or bad- not fluctuating. Please let me know if there is any further info you from me by PM and I will follow up.

GiveAway- assuming your site is the obvious one- I was not able to find our links to track this and I don't havea record of your request. I'd like to get your links tested and help in any way to get those clicks converting-whether we need to try some in house links or figure out your cj links.

Either of you can call Jamie at 1-800-568-1972 x 1392 during CST business hours. Thanks

Jessica Hutson

Jessica

My apologies - I was in contact with Jamie, but the email exchange regarding this issue was with John Nelson - I emailed him on 21st August '02.

My Site? - Yes, just add .com to my user name.

I'm not sure what you mean by not being able to find your links - according to my CJ tracking, I am still sending you about 10 clicks per day.

If I can see it at my end, I'm not sure why you can't at your end

I would rather not phone - I'm in the UK - I would appreciate it if someone could email me instead.

Affiliate Manager
    Jamie will email you

I do see your traffic- but I didn't see our link on your site. I'll admit to not spending more than a couple minutes there this afternoon though. Jamie probably knows it much better than I do.

I can stop harrassing Jamie now that I know it wasn't her that dropped the ball

Jessica Hutson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We do use batching on the cj system- so sometimes you won't see a sale until the next month. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The NEXT MONTH !!!

Priceline reports theirs the NEXT DAY and they don't EVER penalize affiliates for chargebacks, cancellations b/c they have a non-refund policy that makes their returns very limited.

The NEXT MONTH !!!

No wonder I've never had a single sale in YOUR program!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Actually it 5200 clicks with zero sales! - The links went up about 8 months ago - so it's not batching causing the problem!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the same boat giveawayrooms - no conversions from tnow at all and they don't report their sales too timely.

I've had the most luck with priceline hotels as of late. about 75% of the hotel traffic i send over there is converted into an accepted "bid" - which is the way they work. people bid for a hotel room. they have inventory in something like 9000 hotels

Affiliate Manager
    TNOW sales are reported within 24 hours. The only exception is phone sales which may take 48 hours.

The batching refers only to sales on the cj system for hotels.com properties. Since link options are limited and private labeling is nonexistant- it's obvious this is a very different program than our in house program.
    There will always be advantages and disadvantages to any program you choose.

As always- if you feel your numbers don't look good enough- I havea large staff here that will help you not only test, but find the best strategies for your site to make money.

We have experimented with higher cancellation fees that make our cancellation rate much lower. However, we felt the need to balance a higher look to book wiht the cancellation percentage and are happy with our current policy.

Jessica Hutson

Sorry, but you can keep your program. I want no part of a hotels.com site any longer. I found out that they mark up some of their prices and none of the major hotel companies are very pleased with the right now. they are not affiliate friendly at all with all of their damn popups. the odds that someone will visit none of their sites in b/w the transaction process is slim to none b/c they pop everywhere. it's nothing but a nuisance.

plus, they don't pay on time . . . . i'm not working with anyone that doesn't pay!

by the way, has anyone had any luck with orbitz this month? i know the indsutry is down due to war, but i usually have some sales and i have nothing - zilch, nada!

ABW Ambassador
    Colby,

I have made $80 on 1000 dynamic search box Orbitz clickthroughs.... sales have trickeled in but I had a total dry spell from the 7th to the 15th.

Affiliate Manager
    Colby-
    I'm certainly not going to ask you to change something that is working for you. However, I do think it's important to note that we have been paying on time since 1995. We also have an affilaite friendly model that allows affilaties to market one of our brands or their own brand. Most of our top affilaties have full private labels. There is no cost for this and we encourage it's use.

While the hotels.com name does get great press in many respects, it is not something that needs to even be seen by the user.

Last point- Of course we mark up our prices. We have two rate platforms- GDS and consolidated. GDS rates are the basic ones available to any travel agent etc. Consolidated rates are rooms we buy in bulk at a lower price, mark up and resell. We guarentee our rates on these and guarentee payment to affiliates on confirmed bookings.

Jessica Hutson

priceline has a p-label available to affiliates too. i know one of my fellow affiliate friends has one.

they also just teamed up with travelweb

AND

they have an exclusive with Marriott

granted they can't pay what hotels.c pays for their hotel rev share, but they don't mark up prices and they have a price guarantee

btw, have you seen their new ads? they say 40% off expedia & hotels.c - so much for the 70 something unbelieveable hotels.c claims!

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread