ABW Ambassador
    After consistently having one or more sales almost every day, our Orbitz sales have dropped off to virtually nothing. After a 10 day period with no sales at all, we had 3 sales reported on one day and then no sales again since then.

I communicated with Blagica about this a few weeks ago and she dismissed it as no known problems. I'm not satisfied with her answer and I've told her that. I feel that our history merits further attention.

Has anyone else noticed a similar problem with Orbitz?

I did "OK" when they first started, now I do absolutely nothing with them. They don't convert foer me no matter where i put them

Orbitz does not convert for me. Don't know why. I have checked the HTML, send thousands of targeted visitors per week and get very little results. I am thinking about going back to TravelNow.

Affiliate Manager
    Momentum -
    send me a note if you sme back and let me know what made you try them out in the first place so I can make sure we're keeping you happy!

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I don't promote merchants who are pure play advertisers. Orbitz pop-ups are everywhere. Those Ad agency wanks are hooked into to many of the spyware/theftwarez folks to suit me.

Ask Orbitz a direct question. Do those popups overwrite affiliate cookies if clicked.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I wanted to followup since I have been in communication with Blagica over the past few days. We have had several Orbitz sales track recently, including my own and that of my business partner's; however, the 10 day and 8 day gaps with no sales have not been addressed. In her latest email to me, Blagica wanted to know what could be different since we have not changed any banners for months (because Orbitz hasn't provided any new banners for months). I responded to her that I know for a fact that some banners can track some of the time but not all of the time. Jessica from IAN can confirm this for me because this is exactly what happened to us with Hotel Discounts. This has also happened with at least one Expedia link, confirmed to me by BeFree. So it is absolutely a valid possibility that this is what is happening with Orbitz. I am hopeful that Blagica will read this and I mean absolutely no offense (this is business, so comments should not be taken personally) but I do not feel that my comments are being taken seriously. I feel this way because when I tried to give Blagica the Expedia and Hotel Discounts examples on the phone, she wasn't interested in hearing it. I was really taken aback by her attitude in that regard.

Since that conversation, Blagica's tone has lightened up and I'm hopeful she was just having a bad day, but I have never been treated by an affiliate manager the way I was that day.

I would strongly encourage everyone who is having conversion issues with Orbitz to communicate directly with Blagica. You not only stand to benefit yourself, but you will help all affiliates by further encouraging Orbitz to take affiliate feedback seriously and investigate it fully.

I would also like to offer that I feel strongly that Orbitz does not give the attention to their affiliate program that it merits. This has to come from the higher ups. As I've said before, Orbitz has a tremendous marketing/advertising budget, as evidenced by their exhaustive popups. Yep, EcomCity, they're everywhere!

I have been an Orbitz affiliate since the day they launched their program one year ago this month and I've had various issues with it all along. Initially, it was their 4 day cookie. Their first affiliate manager was totally unresponsive to any feedback whatsoever.

When Blagica came aboard last summer, I was hopeful that we would see improvements and beginning in September, we started to. The 30 day cookie is a tremendous improvement, but if there are tracking issues, a 10 year cookie is meaningless, right?

Their creative is very stale. They go for months without any new banners for their affiliates while at the same time those popups keep coming and coming, with new themes all the time.

Their pay scale for hotel bookings is grossly inferior to their competitors. $2 for a hotel booking is chump change. I don't know how others feel, but from my perspective, I would agree to a reduced commission level for airline tickets in favor of a significant increase in hotel commissions. The only fair way to compensate for hotel bookings is on a percentage basis based on the value of the booking. As they continue to ramp up their hotel offerings, we are basically providing them free advertisement the way it currently stands.

They are also a slow pay. I just received my check yesterday for January sales. I received my October check in February.

So everyone, let's keep on this program. Orbitz is a very popular website among travelers who make their purchases online. There is a lot of business to be had but without the proper support on the merchant's end, the Orbitz affiliate program will go by the wayside which is a loss for everyone involved.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Ask a bellhop what he'd do with a 2 dollar tip for carrying bags up to a room??

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I would agree to a reduced commission level for airline tickets in favor of a significant increase in hotel commissions. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee, I wonder why BFT . . . could it be b/c all you do is hotel sales?

You might want to look into Expedia.com I use it personally and I know several webmasters who get higher conversions using it as opposed to Orbitz.

If consensus is right, Orbitz might be overexposed...

ABW Ambassador
    Blagica got back with me after she addressed my concerns with Linkshare and they determined that a text link prominently featured on my site that was created using the Link Builder feature in Linkshare is not tracking. I knew all along there was a tracking issue, but when a link shows your RefID in it, how are you supposed to know it's not tracking especially when that link is setting a cookie which is the case here?

I told her that I felt it was Linkshare's responsibility to insure that links generated from their site tracked properly. She said that was Orbitz's responsibility and she had no idea how that link got in there.

Linkshare has disabled the Link Builder feature for Orbitz. I really doubt that I'm the only one affected by this, but yet again, when you don't have any sales confirmations, you don't get paid even though the merchant is getting placement on your website. Just one more example of how affiliate marketing gives an unfair advantage to the merchant.

Some merchants that I work with have backup tracking so that when Linkshare (or whomever) doesn't track or report properly, there are still ways for the affiliate to get paid. I asked her if Orbitz has this backup system and she said they do not.

Blagica commented to me that she has read this topic so I hope others will convey their concerns directly to her. For us, I feel that Orbitz converts better than their competitors, but our reported sales over the past month especially, don't confirm that due to tracking issues.

Hi BFT,

I actually mentioned I wasn't sure of our ability to back-end track. Indeed we do. I was able to find your transactions and manually credit you through the Linkshare interface.

Linkshare automatically feeds in our Affiliate Partner ID's. With some digging, I was able to find that specific column. This is also true for everyone else who has any back-end tracking concerns.

Thanks for the comments and feedback,

Blagica-

[This message was edited by Haiko on April 20, 2003 at 01:37 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    We are definitely making progress here! So far she's found one order for 5 airline tickets and one order for one hotel stay. I have now asked Blagica to investigate earlier dates as well.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread