ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Have e mailed LS once and BQ twice and no reply. I had no reason to post if they had replied to my concerns,but unfortuntely they have not.
    Sarcistically thinks I know the real reasons. Will someone from LS care to reply.
    I guess they really hated the thought of me bringing this up with them as they have now withdrawn the private higher commission I was on.
    Copies of e mails sent

Can you please elaborate how a merchant can go through have ads expired and basically we end up
    sending them free traffic
    Why are old banners etc not left as is for a greater time feame. Some of us have sites where
    banners may not be adjusted right away or overlooked. Basically this just screws us out of a
    possible sales commission with the merchant just getting free traffic.
    I am sending this to you since they have not had the decency to reply to 2 email requests about
    this.

----- Original Message -----
    To: <********@brigadeqm.com>
    Sent: May 14, 2003 6:02 PM
    Subject: re LS and site changes

> RE Dear Affiliate:
    >
    > Brigade Quartermasters ActionGear.com has a new look!
    >
    > Brigade has updated our look...on the website, in our catalog, and throughout our Linkshare
    > Affiliate program. So, we need you to help us update your links. Don't worry, your current links
    > will still be valid for the next 30 days. So, please log into your LinkShare interface and select
    > new banners from our improved image inventory. We don't want you to miss any commissions or have
    > dead links on your site, so please update your banners by June 15th.
    >
    My reply
    So why are our links being expired instead of continuing to work even with the change????
    > I have hundreds of pages scatterd across numerous sites.
    > I can't be going into every single page looking for one of your links.
    > So if I understand it I have to try and find every single link of yours and if not after your
    limit
    > I just generate free uncommissionable traffic. I certainly know who benefits from that and it
    isn't
    > your affilliate partners.
    > Does this also include product and any deep linking products I have also created?
    > There certainly must be an easier way and I am sure there are numerous others in same situation.
    > I look forward to your reply on this
    >

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

[This message was edited by Haiko on May 28, 2003 at 05:24 PM.]

It seems to me that if a merchant was considerate of it's publishers they would automatically replace the expiring images with fresh images and leave the tracking link intact. This is what we do for our publishers anyway.

We send out a notification such as you received about the upcoming expiration of any image ads (rare for us anyway) and also inform them that the image will automatically be replaced on "such & such date". It's then up to the publisher to determine what they want to do with their links from that notification point.

To simply make voided commission credits to future referrals is in my opinion a tactic to capitolize off of publishers not on the ball, or as in your case ... links scattered everywhere and need time to locate and change all images manually (presumed).

I do not know if you are using an image ad server script for some of your adverts, but I would certainly be using an ad server for all of the merchant account images. This way 1 correction solves all your problems and the manager is located at 1 point rather than having to go throughout the site pages manually doing corrections.

I hope you get a response from Brigade or LS on this issue.. but don't hold your breathe ... you may land up choking.

I often wondered why more merchants don't use our approach on image changes
    ( but, not to hard to figure out why! :cough: ).

Good Luck.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

expiring links
    I think is the latest style of bait an switch, alot of advertisers seem to be starting a trend with this type of crap. Yeah we'll take your customers, but we can't give you credit for the sales because we don't know who sent us the customer, because you did'nt update your 1 week old links,BS.

"It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

ABW Ambassador

Feeling so ignored by LS

WW

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi walleye warrior -

I spoke with my team member who works with this merchant to better understand the reason behind the notification. Brigade Quartermasters is in the process of making changes to their website which require them to upload new creative for affiliate sales partners to use. In some cases, merchants can dynamically update existing creative so that you do not need to generate new links; however, there are some instances where it becomes necessary for you to replace existing creative. This merchant has given partners 30 days advanced notification of this change so that partners can make necessary changes to their links.

However, I would like to clarify one misconception - when the merchant's creative "expires" after the 30 day period, existing images on your site will be broken, but the links will continue to direct to the merchant's site. In other words, if any user clicks through the link, you will still earn commission according to your participating program level. Additionally, the changes will not impact textual links.

Finally, I will be happy to investigate why you did not receive a response to your inquiry from LinkShare. Please forward your original message to abw@linkshare.com and I will have my team review our communication records.

Thanks,
    Sarah

Dear Brigade Affiliates:

First, an apology. I think the best phrase for marketing is live and learn. The last email that we sent out to our affiliates was a learning experience for me and I would like to clarify things for our affiliates regarding our updated banner links. Get a cup of coffee, it’s a long one.

Next, our last broadcast could win the award for What Not to Say to your affiliate partners. For the past year, Brigade has been working in print and on our web site to update our look. Brigade is a 27-year-old company and we thought that our logo and catalog imagery needed a facelift. After market testing, we decided to roll out the new look to our affiliates so that our branding message would be consistent across all channels. Along with this endeavor, we wrote an image management program for our web site that will now allow us to manage and update our banners quickly and more efficiently. This benefits both Brigade and our affiliates in that we can now more easily offer new banners and better offers. Product links and text links are not affected. Because this software must reside on a new directory on our web site, we were not certain as to how to update our affiliates with the new banners. Upon calling our Linshare Account Executive, she stated that she had other merchants who were faced with this dilemma and the best way to go about making the change would be to send a broadcast out to our affiliates announcing the new banners and how to upload them. We would have preferred to have automatically updated all links, but as we host our own banners, we were forced to ask that our affiliates replace all of their current banners.

We never intended to cheat our affiliates out of commission, only to communicate that the banner images would be dead. As the Linkshare moderator mentioned, you could leave the banners live on your site and a customer could click on the link and you would still earn commissions. However, with a dead image link (banner) on your site, the likelihood of a customer clicking on it would not be high.

Second, we view our affiliates as partners. Don’t laugh.I do understand that there are merchants that use affiliates and view them as a means to an end. But I started the affiliate program at Brigade and I understand that you bring us new customers and new sales. Without you and Affiliate programs like Linkshare, marketing on the web would really be tough.

We do feel that this will benefit our affiliates because we made these image changes in print and on our web site several months ago and have seen significant increases in sales across all channels. As you make money on sales from these images (and so do we), changing out. these banners should benefit all parties. I assure you that it is not our intent to gain sales without paying our affiliates. It is to our benefit for you to be successful. Unlike many merchants, we value our affiliates and the sales that they generate. We recognize that our relationship is synergistic and appreciate feedback from our partners. And we do answer our email.

And lastly, I am sure that there are many affiliates that misunderstood the broadcast. Let’s face it, we did not choose the best wording. However we only heard from one out of the 25,000 that assumed we were trying to bait and switch commissions. And, contrary to the posting by walleye Warrior, we do answer our email and sent out a response on May 20th.

If you ever want to discuss partnering, opportunities, or better methods for promotion, please feel free to contact me. But please be patient, I communicate with hundreds of affiliates a week and it may take me a few days to get back to you.

Sincerely,
    Deondra Sailors
    Affiliate Program Manager

Brigade Quartermasters, Ltd.
    1025 Cobb International Drive
    Kennesaw, GA 30152-4300
    Tel: (770) 428-1248 ext. 281
    http://www.actiongear.com

[removed Walleye's Email Addy]

[This message was edited by Haiko on May 28, 2003 at 04:40 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Yes I did receive your e mail resent today, never anything sooner, so my posting here at least got me an answer about the link problems. After 3 e mails someone should have replied.
    Can you elaborate on dropping from pvt offer? We have started to make some sales for BQ and hope to do more possibly. I actually had gone on site the other day tried to change a link or two and banners in 468 x 60 do not show properly. They are sized too small and blur out when used at their intended size.

WW

Hello,
    Yes, our banners had a distortion problem. We fixed the problem. So please retry.
    I am unsure what you're asking re: Can you elaborate on dropping from pvt offer?
    Sorry you didn't receive the 1st email reply but I do try to answer emails as fast as I can. Please direct all future emails to deondra@brigadeqm.com.
    thanks.
    Sincerely,
    Deondra Sailors
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walleye warrior:
    Yes I did receive your e mail resent today, never anything sooner, so my posting here at least got me an answer about the link problems. After 3 e mails someone should have replied.
    Can you elaborate on dropping from pvt offer? We have started to make some sales for BQ and hope to do more possibly. I actually had gone on site the other day tried to change a link or two and banners in 468 x 60 do not show properly. They are sized too small and blur out when used at their intended size.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread