Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Something VERY IMPORTANT for all of you to consider that have concerns re: declining CJ commissions, tracking concerns and how CJ stacks up compared to the other networks.

Do you set your CJ links to open in NEW WINDOW??? I think many affiliates (including me) typically use this option to keep people on our site. CJ offers this option to my knowledge some of the other networks do not. Of course you can program any link to open in a new window or target “blank” yourself but the fact that CJ offers such an easy way of doing this makes me suspect that a lot of CJ affiliate use this feature.

Links opening in a new window could be losing you sales! HOW??? Have you noticed how many new pop up blocking programs are out there?
    Many anti pop up, anti- ad banners, anti-spyware and YES even adware and anti-parasite type programs prevent ANY link from opening in a new window. Not only that but many of them block or delete cookies which can cause your affiliate sales not to track.

GET THIS - while I was surfing around trying to research these pop-up blocking programs - someone tried to download a Huntbar parasite on my machine. So did a search in Google for Huntbar parasite detector. Ended up at a SPYware site and used their uUsed the xscan software (parasite remover) to see if I was infected. I was not. BUT the damn thing BLOCKED all my cookies so if I was a buyer clicking on your affiliate link you would not have gotten any commission.

Then I discovered NOTHING would open in a new window. So I went to my affiliate site and did some testing. All my regular links worked. Every time I hit a link that opened in a new window the page was blank and would not load. SO then I did some more research on other programs (there are 100s listed in Google) many of them will not open ANY link in a new window.

I'm starting to see this as an even bigger threat than parasites. Some people promote adware to get rid of the bad guys but a lot of these parasite removing programs eat cookies and won’t let our affiliate links even open.

Really makes me wonder about all the complaints with CJ merchants, conversion rates and tracking. Since CJ has the auto cloak link and open in new window options, I wonder what percentage of links are being blocked by these programs and how many cookies are being eaten.

I read this on one site that tries to sell ANTI popup blockers.

------
    "You might not be aware but you might be losing up to 12% of your revenue or even more due to various blockers! A couple of years ago Ad Blocking was not a problem but today Ad Blockers have become very common and becoming popular day by day..... we have noticed around 300% increase in popup blockers in the last couple of months. "

There is a very in-depth discussion on another board where people have done quite a bit of research and testing and have decided to change all their links so they don’t open in a new window. Let's put our heads together and decide how much of an issue this is and the best solution.

I am trying to decide if I should advise all the affiliates for all the programs I manage NOT to use open in new window. I hate to give advice to 4,000s affiliates that may be over-reacting.

What do you guys think? Has anyone done any testing or more investigation? Use plain links and risk losing someone from your site OR open in new window and risk the surfer never even reaching the merchant site to buy???

Linda Buquet | Affiliate Management Consultant | Catalyst eMarketing.com
    Representing: zZounds (Music Indie) Irvs Luggage (CJ) RoadLoans (CJ)

[This message was edited by AMconsulting on June 02, 2003 at 11:21 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Good advice, and something we should all keep an out for.

I don't know about your clients, but for some of us that means changing out 1000's, or even 10's of 1000's of links ughhh

Big Chuck
    www.bigchuck.com
    **Web Consultants**
    Stay Tuned For Something BIG

Does anyone know what the CJ code is their links that makes it pop up in a new window? I use this for ALL of my links and would like to do a simple search and replace to fix this. I just don't think it is worth the risk anymore.

Thanks.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

quote:
    posted Jun 02, 03 12:04
    Does anyone know what the CJ code is their links that makes it pop up in a new window?

target="_blank"

7 days,

In CJ they use "target="_blank" to open a new window. Most design software also allows you to open in a new window. Sometimes it's an HTML tag like "new window".

Here's what one of my links looks like that I opened in new window with Front Page.
    "http://www.cooleremail.com/index.ice?Linda_Buquet" TARGET="NewWindow

I changed all my links this weekend. I also added a "screentip" that pops up when you mouse over a link that warns "Bookmark this page now! Links DO NOT open in a new window."
    You can see it on my site when you mouse over the links for www.5starwebtools.com or the Internet Affiliate Marketing Association banner. Don't know how much it will help,
    losing people who surf off my site, but decided it was better than people not being able to get to any of my links at all.

ABW Ambassador
    CJ uses regular HTML convention like "_BLANK" to open links in a new window.

Most pop-ups are done using javascript from events like window load and unload etc. The pop-up blockers disable these events and thus prevent any pop-ups.

I do not know of any slick way to disable TARGET=_BLANK type HTMLs which the ad blocker software might use. If your link is done through javascript that can be blocked though.

It is easy to replace _BLANK or _NEW with something else. Just global find/replace option. IMHO, I do not think _BLANK will cause any problem in case of ad-blocker. Because that will prevent you to open a new window from any link no matter ad link or content link.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    If there IS someone out there who has significant traffic and has all their CJ links set to open new windows, they would be a very good test.

If their revenue incresed dramatically after removing the target= from the links, we'd know this is a significant problem.

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

Drewbert,

That was what I was hoping for when I posted this. We need some people to test. Because there are so many other factors that effect the ups and downs in sales (economy, parsites, market,season,etc.) we would really need several people to test and report results for the test to give us something conclusive. People that own multiple sites with thousands of links should not go and change them all until we have enough evidence to see exactly how much this could be affecting sales.

If we could get a handful of the people here who used to get good CJ sales and now complain that CJ sales are down - to just change the links on ONE of their sites for a month and then report back on the results - it would help everyone a lot!

I get a lot of traffic to my sites. and I seem to make more with the target="_blank"> function on links. I will keep you all updated going to do some testing on html.

goal: $5000 a month by 11/26
    Financial free by 2004.
    Jason- Santa Cruz, CA

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well I do have a majority of links that open in a new window using the HTML tage target="new" or target=_blank" . I often use POW popup blocker when surfing the net and at news sites. www.analogx.com and it doesn't prevent either tag from opening a new window. So push that one to your shoppers and visitors. It also can be set to not block CJ LS or BeFree cookies.

Now with MSN Earthlink and AOL pushing a freedown load Popup Ad blocker I too get concerned. You can tell if the shopper doesn't get a new window as the impression and click still report upon thta action even if the merchnat page gets blocked that sets the cookie. Wonder if the Ad blockers also stop WhenU -Gator and ebates??

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Well I do have a majority of links that open in a new window using the HTML tage target="new" or target=_blank" . I often use POW popup blocker when surfing the net and at news sites. www.analogx.com and it doesn't prevent either tag from opening a new window. So push that one to your shoppers and visitors. It also can be set to not block CJ LS or BeFree cookies.

Now with MSN Earthlink and AOL pushing a freedown load Popup Ad blocker I too get concerned. You can tell if the shopper doesn't get a new window as the impression and click still report upon thta action even if the merchnat page gets blocked that sets the cookie. Wonder if the Ad blockers also stop WhenU -Gator and ebates??

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Well I do have a majority of links that open in a new window using the HTML tage target="new" or target=_blank" . I often use POW popup blocker when surfing the net and at news sites. www.analogx.com and it doesn't prevent either tag from opening a new window.
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/down...etwork/pow.htm
    So push that one to your shoppers and visitors. It also can be set to not block CJ LS or BeFree cookies.

Mike & Charlie ...

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on June 02, 2003 at 04:54 PM.]

Mike,

I think Charlie was pecking at the repeat key on your keyboard again. Did you forget to feed him or something?

Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

I heard on the other forum that Alexa and the new Google tool bar offer pop up blockers now too. I have not tested them yet to see if they prevent new windows from opening.

7-days is right I was eating pizza and cahlie was at the mouse controls. Maybe it was WhenU acting up not letting him post or the 2 Pop-up blockers I activated....so sorry. Now don't forget the ice and more Budweisers for the chatroom tonite

Mike & Charlie ...

I just went through a section of my site with CJ links that gets decent traffic and click throughs. I deleted the "target=_blank" command from the links.

I've been unhappy with the conversions in this section lately, and maybe the new window command is part of the reason why. I'll keep an eye on it and report back if I notice an improvement in conversions. It shouldn't take long to see a change.

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

I have two similar sites that make similar commissions, mostly with CJ links. My grand experiment is to change both of them. On one I will remove the New Window option and on the other I will exchange all the CJ links with that of Performics or Linkshare.

The results should be interesting. Anxious to see if there is any change at at either one.

ABW Ambassador
    The majority of pop-up blockers go after Java Script.

If you turn off your active scripting (java script) you will still be able to follow links with the "_blank" html command...for it is not a java script command.

Rather than do a test (during the slower summer season) by taking out the new window command ...a better test would be to identify the programs that block the "_blank" browser command. I have never seen nor heard of such a critter.

Then find out the estimate of how many people use such programs.

Have you seen the new Yahoo Search? The new window option for opening up sites in the search results? A good test would be to search the news groups and other places for instances of people complaining about this Yahoo feature....people complaining it doesn't work.

I know the "_blank" command has helped people stay on my sites...and people after buying something from one merchant, then bought some things from some others.

Performics ...their links have no "_blank" option. Well...to tell you the truth...the banners have no size specifications as well. A little html knowledge helps you along.

I have my Performics links setup with "_blank". They're still outperforming CJ links 2 to 1.

"_blank" is very useful for site navigation.
    Not just for keeping your visitors.

http://8n.nu/

"The majority of pop-up blockers go after Java Script."

Yup, no worries with the "blank" option added to your links. Just like right clicking a link, and asking to open in a new window. Ad blockers that I have tested (and browsers) don't block the "blank" links.

Actually, there is an old (5 or 6 years) adage that says that you should never have your visitors open a new window. I think it is bullsh*t personally, I normally have several windows open. When I am looking for something that has a starting point, I always like to right click, leaving the original window open - takes too long to "back" and "forward" it.

Sorry for the lengthy post, got off track. Only thing to do is look for empirical evidence concerning opening a new window. I wouldn't worry about ad blockers though.

Fred

"Zymurgy's Law of Volunteer Labor: People are always available for work in the past tense."

quote:
    Every time I hit a link that opened in a new window the page was blank and would not load.
    by AMconsulting

If the link had opened on a new window, and the new window was "blank and would not load" then the "target=new" had worked but some other setting in that ad blocker, had blocked the CJ tracked page to load...

ABW Ambassador
    I was experimenting with an ad-blocker ( don't ask me which it was ) and I experienced that in IE and Opera no "blank" windows were able to open. I had to push the shift key on my keyboard if I would open a new window.

carneol

How popular that ad blocker is?

Rosalind Gardner earned $436,797 in 2002 by promoting only affiliate programs. She reveals ALL her secrets step by step in her Super Affiliate Handbook (267 pages) www.renio.biz/rosalind/

I am also concerned on this topic because all my links opened in new window. But this is the correct way in designing my site because my visitors are usually comparing different products and my site should still open in the background. After they have gone through the merchant, they can close the window and they are back in my site.

So, should we do something like Yahoo is doing? Add a to the right of the link. So they could choose to open the link in currect or new window.

Something is sure a heck killing my commissions
    and this may be Part of it. I think the thieves
    are stealing most of them

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast