Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I have at times tried LinkShare, but have never made any money. So, the question in my mind is of course, is it me, or LinkShare? The month I did a bit of a test. I sent 103 clicks to LinkShare and got a return of $5.75 with 9247 Imprs. This is about the same as I saw back in April, clicks with out much pay. I know 100 clicks is a small test, but in April it was a lot more. I would love to hear from someone that is making som good return so that I can see what I am doing wrong, or show what LinkShare is not doing right.

Thanks,
    Tony

ABW Ambassador
    Which merchants did you use for your test? Some merchants do really well, even on 100 clicks. However, some won't give you anything based on only 100 clicks. You need to find the right merchants.
    I do very well with some merchants, poorly with others

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Thank you cjshoppingnetwork, please keep in mind that this last test was only 100 clicks, I put the links on some "not so good" pages it took 9 days to get 4000 clicks. This test was with Western union Back in April, I sent over 5,000 clicks to travel type sites Orbits, Priceline, and such. Gross payout was $5. On other networks I do much better but, not with travel offers. So, I am not sure if it is window shopping within the travel links or if link share is "not so good" Thanks for your comments!

ABW Ambassador
    It sounds like you are starting to find the right approach with Linkshare.

In April you earned $5 on 4000 clicks.

This month you made $5 on 103 clickthrus.

looks like your doing better at linkshare, pretty good 100 clicks should equal at least one sale!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Getting Snare merchants to *convert* hadn't been a big problem even for me. Some didn't convert worth a hill of beans, but others did fine.

Getting them to PAY, on the other hand, is another story...some do, but there's a lot that don't (or take forever to get around to it)! Check this forum and take notes on which merchants are the subjects of the "WHERE'S MY CHECK" threads! I just wish this forum was here when I first met up with LS...now I check the "diss lists" for all prospective new merchants no matter what network they're on. Sometimes people are too quick to diss a merchant, but there are certain red flags (too many reversals, nonpayment, molasses-payment, 0-day cookies) that bang out as big problems.

And be extra-careful of merchants that came over from other networks (if you can find the appropriate forum for prior incarnations, check there). Merchants don't network-hop just to change the scenery! I say this not only about merchants going TO LS, but also about those coming FROM it. It costs a pretty penny to network-hop, and merchants who do it tend to have some "motivation" other than liking a sales pitch from the new place.

~Revenue is King

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah you have to try some out and see which ones work for you. Some i could never get to covert and some are doing great. I also look more at the merchant that what network they are on. I have good and bad ones with each network. If they convert and pay that's all i'm looking for, of course consolidated payments are nice.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    I get checks every month from some merchants in Linkshare. However, I am stuck on a certain amount with other merchants. I am getting the odd sale here and there, but it will probably take me until Christmas to get enough for payment from quite a few merchants in Linkshare. It is the same with any network. You just have to find those merchants that are going to work for you.

So far this month, I have made $125 from 2,200 click throughs in Linkshare. Is that good or bad?

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

[This message was edited by cjshoppingnetwork on July 13, 2003 at 08:06 PM.]

The short answer is "yes", but I managed to have found only one good merchant and one OK merchant -- these are the two I'm still promoting. There must be some other good merchants there, however, I have less motivation to explore and test simply because Linkshare doesn't have consolidated payment.

For the rest who takes thousands of hits to generate a sale, I couldn't be bothered to push any more. If making an additional few cents to make the minimum payment is that hard, I'd rather move on.

Thanks to everyone who has made comments! I think what I am hearing is that LS is only good for some offers, maybe not the ones that I have tested. Does any make money on travel offers?

I regularly make money with Alibris. Otherwise, I've never made a single sale for any other Linkshare program. Not one. I find this peculiar, since I do OK with CJ.

Occasionally I try a non-performing CJ company, but most of them make a little money eventually. Whereas I've learned not to bother with Linkshare companies because I never earn anything. Strange.

Couldn't miss the chance to diss...

Some of these took some time to get the numbers up as I was just starting from scratch but the lack of conversion is noteworthy as the sampling is now large enough I think.

GigaGolf.Com 702 Clicks - 1 Sale
    GolfBalls.Com 340 Clicks - Nada
    Overstock.Com 853 Clicks - Nada!
    The Golf WareHouse 575 Clicks 1 Sale
    Dygo hehe 2 Clicks - 1 Sale!!! (Ok it was mine

Some others with lower clicks that I would deem the sampling to be too small, however here is the total number of LS clicks/sales.

LinkShare: 2,629 Clicks 3 sales and one of them was my lame contribution to the Dygo (oh, I don't know), paid (category) inclusion thingy...

Meanwhile I am making checks monthly now with CJ and significant return $$$ to my cobrand pro shop.

These (LS) numbers are pathetic...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Webmaster@krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

ABW Ambassador
    This month for LS rounded off
    1500 clicks - 60 sales
    as far as the golf merchants:
    Golfballs.com 1 sale for every 9 clicks - use a coupon
    The Golf Wareshouse 1 sale for every 36 clicks
    ParGolf just sucks nothing
    GigaGolf sucks too
    I probably have half the merchants and the majority convert just fine. You should list all promotions for the merchants if you want to convert, coupons, sales, promotions etc.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Hmmmmmmm...

To list:

I have product displays, a sales page, a price comparison engine that lists the database by product description, manufufacturer, company, through a free search as well as a pre set browseable categories (search) for products by description and manufacturers, including many sales and closeout items.

I don't have coupons for GolfBalls.Com but perhaps that is the missing piece of the puzzle.

I do agree that I must be doing something wrong if someone is converting 1 out of 9 clicks and 1 for 36 clicks respectively, while I am 0 for indefinitely, and 1 for infinity minus 1 up to this point in time.

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

I do well with GigaGolf - conversion is only 1 in 136, but the order size and commish is high, so it beats TGW and just about everyone else on an EPC basis.

Oh well, it is good to know that me' self who has an all golf site seems to be the moron who can't get conversions...

Hopefully I will stumble onto something that works since there seems to be some substantial potential, at least from 2 pubs here anyways...

I would be thrilled with 1 in 136 right now!

Thanks for the input as well, though I did not start this thread.

Speaking of new threads (no not golf apparel), I will save this question for the one that I start...

I seem to be having a problem with GolfBalls.Com and LinkShare.

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

ABW Ambassador
    Just as i complained about GigaGolf a couple of sales came in Now Par Golf is one you have too watch, can't get a sale with them.

--Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    So far this month, 3500 clicks, 77 sales, >$500 commissions. I've been very happy with most of the LS merchants I use. If they don't perform, I'll change to another, but I think 1000 clicks is the place I'd want to be before making a decision....100 just isn't enough to know how a merchant will act in the long run.

ABW Ambassador
    I think the answer is that it both you and Linkshare at faultfor lack of sales.

Unfortunately, LS keeps advertisers metrics secret from affiliates, so we have to go blindly into relationships.

On the other hand, if you think only LS has bad merchants, then look at the epc published by CJ. There are a lot of disappointed CJ affiliates who contributed to the miniscule epc's of many many merchants on that network.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Everyone,

Here are some more comparison numbers. I run three very targeted websites in the garden, food, and pet sectors, and use a wide variety of merchants from performics, commission junction, and linkshare. My linkshare numbers are 3,398 clickthroughs, 34 ordrs for 73 items, for a total commission of 296.34.

Best wishes.

I think it is if you run stores your customers want to shop at, and you trash the ones they don't. I am constantly adding and deleting merchants to fine tune:

1>where my customers shop

2> who actually pays... most ls merchants DO pay on time, but there are a few stinkers like with every company.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think the answer is that it both you and Linkshare at fault for lack of sales.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My sticking point is that I am making a check every month with CJ, and with very close to the same number of click throughs... With LS I have had a grand total of 2 sales up until recently (1 more, wahoooo).

I could care less about assigning blame. These are the facts, and I post them here. No one on this board has the slightest idea what I am doing about it outside of what I post here, but one thing everyone has to do is evaluate and decide whether or not to pull the plug. I am in a vertical market so my choices are limited. But ultimately, of course I am doing something about it. As an example, I emailed almost every single merchant in my stable at LS (excluding some new additions), complaining about the current situation. I received responses from Overstock, GigaGolf, and GolfBalls.Com for example...

With respect to poor EPC's at CJ, for the most part I personally stay away, unless I feel I need them, and sometimes, I feel I do need a specific merchant. And anyway, I don't really complain too much about individual merchants at CJ, since I do have the metrics available to me, as well as consolidated checks, which makes the whole network look good in my eyes (because I get paid, yipeeee!!!).

Problem with LinkShare for myself is that even if they had consolidated checks, I couldn't get one per year, much less every lunar cycle.

For whatever reason, dem's just the facts of the matter for me and others have reported repeatedly here that there are more dud merchants at LinkShare overall and more difficulty attaining overall performance...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

ABW Ambassador
    I don't there there is a difference with merchants as far as what network they belong too. I have good ones in all of them and some bad ones. I changed some bad ones into good by changing the way i promote them. There are plenty of good ones in LinkShare. You have to look at how you're promoting them and if you're using all the promtional tools the merchants give to you: coupons, sales, etc.

--Wayne Calloway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't there there is a difference with merchants as far as what network they belong too. I have good ones in all of them and some bad ones. I changed some bad ones into good by changing the way i promote them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me personally, that is what I am/have been trying to do, namely, tweak the way I am promoting LS merchants. But the lack of success is way out of line with respect to ALL of my other merchants, both in house and other networks, save for one other non-performer with ShareAsale. (GolfTraders.Net). (A heads up for any other sites promoting golf stuff - )
    And of course the feedback is always appreciated as far as I am concerned...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

If you plan to stick around doing affiliate programs for long, you'll benefit by finding a few linkshare merchants that work for you the best. Lack of metrics is not really a barrier. Lots of affiliates go by qualitative factors in choosing merchant programs. Many of their merchants have lowered their minimum payment levels to where that's not much of any issue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast