Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=5016000153

How will Linkshare be addressing this behavior?

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi all -

ShopAtHomeSelect signed LinkShare's addendum several months ago. A current version of their technology was tested and reviewed, and found to be in compliance with our terms that prohibit the blocking, altering, substituting, redirecting, etc. of any click-throughs that originate from a LinkShare affiliate site. However, we understand that technologies may change. Based on the comments and feedback we have heard on this board, we will investigate further, and retest a current version of the technology. I will keep you updated as to the status.

As always, if you find any instances of affiliates violating this agreement, please do not hesitate to forward me specific examples so that our technical team may investigate. We are committed to ensuring compliance within the LinkShare Network.

Best,
    Sarah

Thank you Sarah. Would love to hear the outcome of your investigation.

Lastly, what if they are found to be overwriting links, will they be given a second chance?

Fred

"Yo momma's glasses are so thick she can see into the future."

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    Sarah, we would like an update please. The proof has been supplied.

More Proof ...

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=frm&...9&f=8476001423

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    &gt;Based on the comments and feedback we have heard on this board, we will investigate further, and retest a current version of the technology.

Well, be sure to test it from a public IP address rather than the Linkshare network as they've probably got your IP #'s set to "never divert".

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

Hi All -

Thank you for providing this information. Once I have further information from my team, I'll get back to you with an update on our own testing and any action we may be taking.

Thanks,
    Sarah

ABW Ambassador
    Linkshare has had more than adequate time to confirm that there is a violation here. In fact, both ShopAtHomeSelect and Ebates have, for all practical purposes, admitted so themselves. As of today, Overstock is a "Coupons Only" merchant with both SAHS and Ebates. This was the only way Overstock could force these two affiliates to stop stealing commissions from affiliates and earning a commission from sales where no commission was due at all (i.e., search engine clicks and direct browser type-ins).

It's time for action, Linkshare.

Due to Linkshares "snail crawl speed" on protecting affiliates when "proven & acknowledged violations" are present .. we no longer promote any vendor who is affiliated with Linkshare in any capacity.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

To update everyone on the ShopAtHomeSelect situation - ShopAtHomeSelect has identified a problem in their technology that was allowing LinkShare affiliate links to be overwritten in certain instances. They are taking immediate action to rectify the problem, and will be providing LinkShare with a copy of their new software presently for testing. We appreciate ShopAtHomeSelect's forthrightness and cooperation in taking corrective action to maintain its compliance with the terms of LinkShare's Addendum. As always, if you find instances where you believe that LinkShare links are being overwritten, please let us know.

Sarah

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LinkShare Moderator:
    We appreciate ShopAtHomeSelect's forthrightness and cooperation in taking corrective action to maintain its compliance with the terms of LinkShare's Addendum.
    Sarah<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well this has been over a month since this began or even longer, that's not forthrightness to me....

So what you are saying Sarah, is us affiliates got screwed for the time they were out of compliance.

There is never any restitution to the affiliates for these companies "Out of compliance" times... They keep all the stolen commission money...

Maybe Linkshare needs to place their earned commissions during out of compliance into an attorney fund to trespassed affiliates so we can afford to take them to court.

Allen

I look for the day, when every affiliate from every nation can climb to the mountain top and yell,
    'Free again, Free Again."

Today is a national day of parasite free shopping.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Maybe Linkshare needs to place their earned commissions during out of compliance into an attorney fund to trespassed affiliates so we can afford to take them to court.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That is a TERRIFIC idea and illustrates why the networks have no incentive whatsoever to not drag their feet, as was the case here, when these things are brought to their attention.

Sarah, may I suggest that you ask ShopAtHomeSelect to voluntarily give the two free airline tickets they won from Orbitz and the $250 they won from Overstock back to those merchants so they can be re-issued to the rightful winners of the promotion? After all, SAHS doesn't even promote Orbitz hotels on their site and the promotion was specifically limited to Orbitz hotels, not airline tickets or any other travel product on their site. And I have on very good word that SAHS doesn't even come close to being one of Overstock's top affiliates.

Please let us know what you think. After all, any prize won illegally should not be honored.

In all fairness, this was not limited to Linkshare links. It was ALL AFFILIATE LINKS!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LinkShare Moderator:
    To update everyone on the ShopAtHomeSelect situation - ShopAtHomeSelect has identified a problem in their technology that was allowing LinkShare affiliate links to be overwritten in certain instances. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We've seen this film many times before.

What kind of "idiot" coders that they have keep making same mistake, over and over and over and over and over and over and over...

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    So if they admitted it is overwriting why let them continue. Cut them off until they prove it isn't overwriting.
    This is as sad as COC's giving software parasites their 60 days notice when the COC's were established. Just gives them more time taking commissions until they need to comply.
    Make them comply NOW.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Sarah
    We are sick to bloody death of you guys keep allowing them to do this. All the bullshoot they give you about it being a problem in their technology is exactly what I called it. They will play and play and play on these problems for as long as you keep giving them our comissions. It is up to YOU to ban them UNTIL they can prove to you that they have fixed their problems.

Take care
    YouTrek.com

ABW Ambassador
    edited double post

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on July 15, 2003 at 07:18 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=...3656083803&p=2

"minor glitches"

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...1&m=3136067021

"bugs"

today

"problem in their technology"

glitches and bugs and problems oh my.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Sarah,

Make a note of this:

They will also experience "problems" with their software as the busy Holiday shopping season approaches!

It's a disgrace that steps aren't being taken to protect ALL of your publishers. What do you believe should happen to the commissions that were paid as a result of the overwriting? Do you believe they should just keep them???

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    I am addressing this to Steve Messer and I will then forward this topic to him for his response.

Mr. Messer, as the CEO of Linkshare, you have a fiduciary duty to your affiliates to come clean on this. After all, Linkshare has benefitted immensely from this behavior which you have repeatedly claimed that Linkshare will not tolerate, yet we keep providing evidence that Linkshare does tolerate.

Please tell us exactly why ShopAtHomeSelect has not been terminated from Linkshare due to violating the Addendum?

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Maybe they will use the canned reply CJ uses. We will not advise you what actions will be taken.
    But with the continuance of the same complaints being raised against the same scumware over and over and over again, on many networks the inaction tells us exactly what they do to back up their own policies.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snowman:
    Mr. Messer, as the CEO of Linkshare, you have a fiduciary duty to your affiliates to come clean on this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Sigh, yes this cat and mouse game that goes on endlessly is really getting old, extremely old. I think maybe if I'd been born 30 years earlier I could have passed from the scene before the complete collapse of integrity occurred.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm pissed off about getting ripped off (again), and the same old excuse.

Why don't you become proactive and get rid of all those parasites posing as 'charity' sites to make up for this one?

By the way, that response sounds a lot like what Overstock.comn used toalways post. Does that OS guy work for LS now?

Affiliate Network Rep
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone on the board, I have been doing a bit of traveling and thus I am a bit behind on my emails and postings. Since when have summers given up that time honored saying “lazy summers”?

Ok now to the question at hand, and no more Vonnegut (well at least for now). As everyone probably already knows, LinkShare has taken the strongest stance in the industry on parasiteware with the first and only Anti-Predatory Marketing Affiliate Addendum. This addendum sets out clearly the rules of engagement that we require partners to play in.

With every new technology we encounter we do our best to test the product that they are launching. In certain instances both the provider and LinkShare miss something that might have an impact on our affiliates. This is by no means intentional, but is a really a sign of the fact that this is such a new area for us. In this space, we are still making up how we perform the tests to avoid missing areas of potential problems. Over time, our testing procedures and methods should improve helping us to avoid some potential problems that pop up in this forum.

In the meantime, when you alert us to issues we do start the process of retesting the browser enhancement to make sure it is still compliant. This process is not a simple one and requires my teams to do multiple testing, which takes time. We do not have to simply find the problem, but see if it happens on different operating systems, different browser types, thru different isp’s etc. I personally know how fast everyone wants to move, but from our perspective we want to do the testing correctly.

If we believe that one of the signatories is "breaking" the approved version to start to steal intentionally we will aggressively go after them. After all we have already done, I would be surprised to believe that there is a site out there that thinks we will not shut down players in this scenario. In reality, and from my experience with dealing with these companies, most of the times the issue has been about a technology mistake that is normal in this business. I know it may not seem like it to you but that really is the case. What everyone here is missing is the information and interactions that we have in resolving these issues, and where the problems can arise in the technology.

I know that it might seem like this stuff goes into a black hole (on the LinkShare side) or that it is intentional (on the technology providers side), but as soon as you alert us a frenzy of activity take place to evaluate the information you provide us to come to a proper solution on what we should do. While you do not have to take my word on this, all I can say is that with all the efforts and costs that we have had to bear in dealing with this problem on our own (since we are the only provider to have taken this stance) I would hope that logically you would realize we are doing our best to deal with the issues properly and quickly. Otherwise, we would just have joined on some easier code and just moved on with life.

Anyway I am dead tired. I have always been, and continue to be honored to work with you all but now I need to grab some shut eye.

Steve

WB Stephen, get some rest.

===========

As an aside and since Stephen posted herein, I will say that I've been working with Belcaro Group (the President and the technical team) on the new version and will post on Friday my review of it and it's behavior (after a week of testing).

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast