Affiliate Manager
    We area a new merchent with a new affiliate program. We always offer free shipping, free gift wrapping and 10% promotions and have a huge variety of gift and floral items. What I want to ask is how best to activate affiliates? We have about 1500 affiliates with about 12% active. I have tried a $10 bounty for registering 3 sales before August 30 but no real response, the people who are getting it would have recorded the sales anyhow. So what types of things would motivate you to put a new merchent up? I always send newsletters with link code embedded so there is little work to do.

Thanks!

Hi apcRocket,

I'd be interested in learning the same. We offered a 10% bonus in July, and $50 bonus for $100 in sales currently in Aug. We've received minimal interest.

It appears even when merchants are offering professional service, product, and $$ it's hard to gain good affiliates with good placements.

What does it take to real gain the mindshare of good affiliates?

www.bluedolphin.com
    for people who love magazines

ABW Ambassador
    You have to realise that there are a lot of affiliates that will never produce sales for you. A lot of affiliates never earn much money with any program.
    Those affiliates that do make money will already have a partnership with established merchants.
    Personally, I make money with quite a few programs, but I am always reluctant to try new merchants. It is so hard to determine if a merchant will work for us, so we tend to go with what we already know.

It may be that your programs are excellent, but many affiliates will not heavily promote you because it could cost them a lot of money if you turned out to be a poor converter.

The affiliates who don't make any money don't really know what they are doing, or are concentrating on poor merchants. The affiliates that do make money are concentrating on those merchants that are already making money for them, so you are caught in the middle.

Conversion rates are more important to us than commission rates or bonuses. If you offered me $1,000 if I made 5 sales in a month, it would be meaningless if you couldn't convert the visitors we send to you.

If you want quality affiliates to join you, then you need to prove to us that you can convert the visitors that we send to you.

I currently make an average of $100 per day in commission, and I am working heavily on those merchants that are working for me.

If you want an affiliate to promote you, then give us a reason why we should

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    I always work more for the merchants who contact me personally, offers exclusive coupons, extends private offer. Then I know I have more advantage than my competitors. I am not saying you have to do private offers or exclusive coupons for just 1 or 2 affiliate. Work with a 25 or so. They may not have done great before, but I can do better in future given all these.

Affiliate Manager
    CJ-

What if I offered an affiliate a no risk offer, they pick us up and give us decent placement and we offer them the commission cash for a set number of sales no matter what and they have the chance to make more for sales above that set number?

ABW Ambassador
    Why not give affiliates a set dollar amount just for posting your links? If you have a threshold of $25 and you give the affiliates $10 (for example) then you lose nothing if affiliates don't do anything, because they will never reach the threshold. However, you gain if affiliates promote you and you do well as a partnership. It is an incentive for those who could earn money.

If you have 1,500 affiliates, you will never get all of them earning money with you. How many of those 1,500 have you sent checks to?

You want to attract new affiliates, not just make those you already have active.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Retired Member
    How about this?

We give you a free sample of our product (Value $10) just for signing up.

Once you make your first 5 sales (no time limit, one time only) We give you $10 on top of the regular commission.

Retired Member

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    @apc rocket
    Maybe a link in your sig on where your affiliate program can be found is needed
    See some other AM's for guidance

@Tommy Boy
    Will look things over however we had just added a new magazine merchant to our sites.
    Will at least look as I prefer to support ABW merchant. Mind you your not gonna get rich (yet) on my sales though
    I think many here feel the same in trying to support other programs and AM's at ABW

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Affiliate Manager
    > CJ, that sounds like a good idea. I might even be able to swing $15 however, wouls it bother you if you were already an active affiliate of a merchant who did that? I don't want to tick anybody off.

Walleye...one of these will work I think
    <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">&lt;a href="http://www.linkshare.com/joinprograms?oid=51625" Click here to join our program&lt;/a&gt; </pre>

&lt;a href="http://www.linkshare.com/joinprograms?oid=51625" Click here to join our program&lt;/a&gt;

Affiliate Manager
    Doh! Guess not...sorry.

Affiliate Manager
    one more try.

&lt;a href="http://www.linkshare.com/joinprograms?oid=51625"&gt;Join our program or else.&lt;/a&gt;

Affiliate Manager

CJ & Walleye,

Thanks for the comments. I certainly understand the concerns around spending time to post a new merchant that ultimately doesn't convert. I can tell you that I don't have any problem keeping affiliates, it's getting new ones to try our program. This means, for those affiliates who take the time to work with us, the conversion and payouts relevant to other merchants they are promoting is sufficient to maintain a relationship with us.

And, like you, am trying to support ABW members and would be pleased to make extra efforts to start new relationships.

www.bluedolphin.com
    for people who love magazines

Affiliate Manager
    CJ -

OK I am going to try out your suggestion. I am going to offer all of our 1500 affiliates $10 just for being active before September 30th. You are right, if we pay out at $25, the sales we get for them to earn the additional $15 for the payout will make the $10 a good investment. I'll even offer that to our active affiliates, do nothing, just leave us up and make $10! Same idea, only the ones who are sending us sales will be able to cash out the $10. No only is a good way to get affiliates activated but its encouragement to get some sales as well. THANKS!

Linkshare ~ 10% commission : unlimited return days : unlimited actions : 100% Parasite Free
    Join the Barber Bros. Affiliate Program

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread