Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old Program:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>(17.2) 5.00% of sale .
    (18.1)on selected goods :
    15.00% of sale .
    (19.1)on selected goods :
    8.00% of sale .
    (20.1)on selected goods :
    7.00% of sale .
    (21.1)on selected goods :
    6.00% of sale <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

New Program:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Commission:
    (79.1) 3.00% of sale .
    (80.1)on selected goods :
    7.00% of sale <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Make of it what you will.

Game on!!!! - The DawgFather

down to 3% on media if I remember correctly - all the good stuff - books, music, video games, dvd...
    great isn't it.. first they give us a feed with tons of products, then reduce the commission is if we manage to sell any

Let's see ...

1. They pay higher comms to parasites
    2. They team up with PWare ... sell our our traffic (CPA) for (CPC) with parasites.
    4. They represent that they will be clean in 60 days .... LMAO
    5. They continue to partner with many parasites
    6. They decide to sue Gator and WhenU
    7. They ditch their forum on ABW
    8. They are still teamed with other known parasites ... http://www.igive.com/html/merchantlist3.cfm?sort=alpha
    9. They lower our coms

Good morning, it's time to smell the coffee!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

I thought I read some positive comments from you about their feed Haiko, are you promoting them?

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    There new terms and lowered commissions were a factor earlier today when I needed some media links on a site.
    I used someone else!!!!

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by midnightcoder:
    I thought I read some positive comments from you about their feed Haiko, are you promoting them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

NFW! The feed was a good step but all that has happened before and now, after ... it's nothing but horsehockey, IMO!

</font></p>

you're right, problem is I did a lot of work with the feed, some of it following an email from them encouraging me to promote them more, what a pain... not happy

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    This is how Overstock spun the commission change in an email I received from them the other day:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Most affiliates made just over 5% from our old Offer of 5%-8%. With the new offer we expect the average affiliate to make above 6%. All products, except media, will now be commissioned at 7%

Overstock.com is changing our Affiliate Commission Payouts. Effective July 21 Overstock.com will be changing our commission structure. The new commission structure baseline will be as follows:

7% on Non-Media Products:

3% on Media Products*

(* Media products are any and all products in our books, movies (DVDs and VHS), music, magazines, and vide games categories.)

Overstock.com is making this change for the following reasons:

1) Give our Affiliates the ability to plan their commission structure - By having definite fixed rates we will be taking the guess work out of how much our Affiliates will be making on Overstock.com.

2) Align commissions with the prices on our products - For the most part, Overstock.com can afford to pay more on non-media products and less on media products.

With our books department having over 200,000 titles marked at 20% below Amazon.com and other discounts coming soon in other areas, our business model for media now becomes more sustainable. Yes, the commission percentage may be lower for Media than before, however, with Overstock.com's ultra-competitive pricing we believe our Affiliates will make up the difference in conversion and consequently volume.

Overstock.com will continue to offer incremental bonus programs in the coming months that will be on top of your commission - so stay tuned! Please let us know what you think.

We appreciate your business.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At 3% of media maked 20% below Amazon, that seems like pennies on the media items. Would take folks who have high volume on their sites to make it worth their while.

Wonder what % the parasite's are getting.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    Is Overstock, after all the rather dizzying changes in their program recently, parasite free or not? I was getting tempted to promote them more now that Ebates is a "coupon" only place. But, there are many parasites out there, and was wondering where Overstock stands with all of this.

Jim

Jimh009,

I asked Shawn the other day how many parasites there are ... no idea, then I said, ok ... how many programs use top moxie software (ebates and others), once again, he had no idea

http://www.igive.com/html/merchantlist3.cfm?sort=alpha

iGive and Upromise use Top Moxie (not that they [TopMoxie] are bad) but ....

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...3&m=9776077673

Lest we forget ... http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...3&m=4256065213

and yet ... http://www.upromise.com/nspage?su=82491

</font></p>

Nothing but ... Sunshine, lollipops and more horsehockey!

</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    I've been wondering how their conversions have been impacted with them dropping whenU and making ebates coupon only.

I've talked before of the "pay me not to kill you attitude" I saw expressed in an article regarding parasites (that I agree with).

I've seen other merchants specifically targeted (on affiliate and merchant sites in some cases) after a drop of a "certain parasites". This targeting has likely influenced some merchants to even go running back to them (who was that ink company anyway and wasn't that an interesting experience!)

Obviously this kind of targeting does nothing to improve conversions and now we have a history where specific targeting may decrease the amount of "real commitment" some merchants have when these guys are given the boot too.

At this point I plan on staying on the sidelines with OS. Lets hear it.... whats happening with conversions since the change?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well the wanks at iGive.com sure had some help recruiting 500 major merchants for their parasite program. Lot's of ABW merchants on thta list and Ms. B sure did catch them re-directing affiliate traffic. TopMoxie must have an on/off switch for their software and their best thieves get it free.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Yes the email from the other day did state 7% on everything BUT media items, which were tobe 3%.

It seems the new offer is not clear in the Linkshare interface. It almost looks like most things are 3% except a few items...

Affiliate Manager
    Haiko, thanks for the call tonight letting me know about this thread.

Yes, we changed our commission structure. In the past, our commission structure was 5% - 15%. Most products were commissioned at 5%. A few were at 6%, 7%, and 8%. There were approximately 200 products commissioned at 15%. With our old commission structure, our entire affiliate program was averaging ~6% commission because the majority of products were at 5%.

With the new commission structure, we anticipate the average commission will be around 6.5%. We are paying a higher commission on non-media items. All products except books, movies, and music will be commissioned at 7%. All books, movies and music will be commissioned at 3%.

Our average ticket is around $80. So, let’s look at an average ticket with one media (book, movie, or music) title and one non-media title.
    Book = $15
    Non-media = $65

Under the old system, the average was 6%, or $4.80.
    Under the new system, the commission would be $0.45 + $4.55 = $5.00

The net effect of this change is a slight increase in commission dollars on average. However, I encourage you to watch your sales numbers and see it for yourself.

Now, one could argue that the drop from 5% to 3% on media-only sales is a bad thing. Well, the average media item is $12.50. 5% of $12.50 is $0.625 in commission. 3% of $12.50 is $0.375. One could argue that the commission of the average media item just dropped by $0.25.

However, the average non-media item is around $65. An increase from the average of 6% to the new 7% is a $0.65 increase in commission. If that same item was commissioned at 5% in the past, the increase would be $1.30 now that the commission is 7%.

Some might argue that they have utilized our datafeeds for media and are more interested in media-only commissions. To those I would encourage you to look at your sales. Approximately 30% (rough average) of the customers that purchase media items also purchase non-media items. We take many steps on our site to heavily cross-sell media purchases with non-media items.

Additionally, we provide many datafeeds of our non-media products. There is even a datafeed highlighting our top ten bestselling products in each department (media and non-media alike).

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion. I encourage every Overstock.com affiliate to review your numbers after this change. I’m sure you will be pleased with the results. I am always available at 801-947-3119 if you have any questions I can answer.

Thanks,

Shawn Schwegman
    VP of Sales & Marketing
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

Affiliate Manager
    I should also add that the bonus programs we continue to run will be in addition to the commission outlined above.

Many thanks,

Shawn Schwegman
    VP of Sales & Marketing
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

It's just more work for some of us. For example, just built 40,000+ pages of Books and DVD.

It's okay Shawn, I'm still a fan. Welcome back.

Fred

You might just be a redneck if..."Your talent in the local beauty pageant was making noises with your armpit"

As long as my conversion rate continues to go up, I am with ya!

2 months ago I was sitting at a lowly .18% and am now at a 4.59% conversion rate.
    I can't complain about that. And it keeps going up.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

3% on media is still terrible, however you spin it

I've put a lot of work into promoting Overstock media products.. I would not have done that if I had known I would get 3% for my efforts.
    Now what?
    You want me to spend a couple of weeks on non-media before you change the commission rate on those products?

Let's see hmmmm the old structure was 6% on avereage for non media sales so I will use that figure tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. Ok now since I don't sell any media items, or at least promote them, for the sake of speculation I will use the full (new) 7% tap.. tap.. tap.. tap.. tap..

Holy Smokes!

Still..... Nada

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Webmaster@krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

ABW Ambassador
    I have averaged 5.5 with OS on large volumes of sales. All my sales SHOULD have been well above that because of the category of products that were sold. OS only updated the SKU/% list once a month so it was often very out of date.

Anyay, since I sell no media my commish from them should be 7% across the board. That is a very nice increase.

Seriously, If there was someone else that could provide me with a particular product line at good prices and give me 7% on it with a reliable data feed I would consider it. As far as I know, only OS can do this for me. They are my largest check every month and this increase should secure that position.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now, one could argue that the drop from 5% to 3% on media-only sales is a bad thing. Well, the average media item is $12.50. 5% of $12.50 is $0.625 in commission. 3% of $12.50 is $0.375. One could argue that the commission of the average media item just dropped by $0.25.

However, the average non-media item is around $65. An increase from the average of 6% to the new 7% is a $0.65 increase in commission. If that same item was commissioned at 5% in the past, the increase would be $1.30 now that the commission is 7%.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I could have a choice, I would rather have 0% on non-media in exchange for 5% on media, as 99%+ of my sales are books.
    0.99*0.25 = 0.2475 &gt;&gt; 0.01*1.30 = 0.013

Affiliate Manager
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If I could have a choice, I would rather have 0% on non-media in exchange for 5% on media, as 99%+ of my sales are books.
    0.99*0.25 = 0.2475 &gt;&gt; 0.01*1.30 = 0.013 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting. Can you email me your LinkShare username along with your proposal? Once I have your account info I'll do some research and run the numbers, then I'll get back to you with a proposal. Sound OK?

Thanks,

Shawn Schwegman
    VP of Sales & Marketing
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

ABW Ambassador
    Everyone should carefully check to see that their sales beginning on 7/21 are properly commissioned. From 7/21 until the end of the month, most of our non-media sales were commissioned at 3% rather than 7%. I brought this to Shawn's attention and he has acknowledged the bug and assured me that a manual adjustment will be made to reflect a 7% commission on non-media items.

So everyone should be earning more than what their Linkshare reports currently indicate for July.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast