ABW Ambassador
    Looking over those reports, one might think the sole purpose of them was intended to piss-off affiliates .

What are we supposed to be doing with these reports ?
    Were these intended to make affiliates pressure advertisers to increasing return days , or simply to give information on which advertisers we should be giving the wack of the axe to ?

Do advertisers have this same report available to them for individual affiliates , so they can see off-hand which affiliates are their biggest suckers ?

Bad enough I know how many targeted sales I have given away for free , but what I don't appreciate at all ( if that is the case ), is that AM's can have the satisfaction of gloating in it to boot !

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I think it was put in their by orders from Stephen Messer when he owned up to the fact that no return days merchants were killing his networks conversion ratio. kind of a defense and a pressure point to get the advertising mindset merchant AM's to increase their cookies to 30 days.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I've used that report to decide on keeping or dropping certain merchants. If a merchant's program is making me some good money, I don't mind that some of the sales may fall in commissionable ranges, and others not. I've found a few programs that yielded mostly (or only) sales that were noncommissionable, and those I drop. It's hard to predict how a program will play out, so the report can be useful to an affiliate in that way.

I agree. I try not to look at them. I think of all of the stuff I could have bought with that dough!

ABW Ambassador
    I look at them EVERY DAY!

A.K. Burditt is right. It's a great way to decide if I'm going to keep a merchant. It has taught me the value of a longer cookie. If the non-commissionable sales are greater than say 10% of my sales, their links get ripped out. I'm not running my biz to fatten their cashflow, with no or little benefit to my own. I then contact the affiliate mgr and we try to negotiate a fairer agreement.

I wish all the networks had this feature.

ABW Ambassador
    I do not like to look at them, but periodically we make it a point to do just that.

If it were not for those reports we would not know how to gear our conversion success rates and how to change our approach to various campaigns and ad pushes. It also allows us to push merchants to be honest with their return days or cookie duration policies. If a LARGE amount of revenue compared to earned revenue is outside the cookie duration then affiliates like all of us need to make it a point to see that we can get that duration increased!

I agree, it is frustrating but it is also very valuable and I would not want Linkshare to remove it as such. As they say, the truth hurts...But it also makes us better at what we do

Like the other networks Linkshares policies are dictated by their merchants. Merchants tell them what they like or dislike and they do it. BHO's and DUPERS ARE NOT real merchants. They are posers willing to pay merchant fees. Occassionally the networks do throw the affiliates a bone and the Non-commissionable report and the Payment History/Status report are the only ones designed to pressure merchants to change their ways.

Notice how LS changed their invoice verbage and rules when the slow pay merchants demanded more commission float time.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    The reports show me that my traffic is better quality than the commissions indicate. I wish the networks gave us even more information. I really would hate them to only give rosy information and never give us the bad stuff.

There are a lot of things I would like to know...like how many times the cookie gets reset while a customer is shopping, and other things that would affect how I design the site.

sound thinking

ABW Ambassador
    These reports serve as a red flag.

I usually contact the merchant about it to find out if anything can be done. The good merchants will do something about it.

For the anti affiliate merchants, I drop them and promote the competition instead.

The only time I usually look at this report is when I'm already in a bad mood!!!

I used to also get mad at seeing the likes of Dell, Walmart and other BRAND merchants getting the majority of my referral sales reported AFTER the one day cookie expired. No longer ...as they get very few clicks to run their game on me.

Mike & Charlie ...

I think the kind of information that we get from these reports is crucial to marketing efforts. For one thing, it proves that when merchants and networks argue that the VAST majority of sales happen within the first 48 hours of the click, it simply isn't true.

I sure wish I could get this kind of report from CJ. I'm sure that there are at least a few CJ merchants that are getting many more sales from me than what I get commission for.

ABW Ambassador
    I very much like that report. Shows me why I shouldn't be promoting art.com anymore - as just as many sales show up in this report as in normal reports. I suspect it is also helpful, though, for good merchants like Mondera - who don't want any affiliate sales to show up there. Long as nothing shows up there, they know that their cookie duration is working well and not causing lost sales.

Hopefully, Linkshare won't get rid of the report. So far, at least for me, only art.com is found in this report. But not for long, as art.com is about to get their eviction notice on my site.

Jim

In July, EVERY SINGLE SALE by Art.com and Tupperware.com was non-commish. Aside from dropping them, there's gotta be a better way to get the money we deserve. Anyone had luck pressuring merchants to increase their return days?

Ugh, this is not a recruiting ploy, because I am not a recruiter, LOL... but I suggest you sign up to be a Tupperware Consultant under someone and make 20% and get paid on time. The fee is $6.95 a month but well worth it if you have sales.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Yes I hate art.com and have been bad mouthing them ever since. A couple years ago when they had their own affiliate program and an honest affiliate manager they had a really good affiliate program. Unlimited cookie duration. But now their program went to pot. I ditched them when I saw 2 months in a row that their non-commissionable was greater than their actually payable commissions.

MIke
    Bovine Bazaar

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread