Todd,

We sure would love to see who's the lucky reciepient of qksrv links getting spidered and indexed in google.

I typed in jcwhitney in the google engine and got the results on the link below....

Try it..

jcwhitney

Look for the title JCWhitney Motorcycle

Now was this affiliate lucky, or using some type of duper to get their link only indexed?

We affiliates are not going to take it anylonger!

Allen Nance

Show me the Big Bucks!

Click Here

It's showing backlinks from JCWhitney.com???

From what I can see it is pure skill. Google indexes the results and CJ has no influence (nor do our publishers) over how the results are sorted.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

This could be solved in 18 seconds. Create a robots.txt for www.qksrv.net, put this in it:

User-agent: *
    Disallow: /

*shrug* simple as that.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    From what I can see it is pure skill.

Definately NOT skill ... This I can almost guarantee you ... I have checked , and I myself have plenty of those qksrv.net/click urls indexed with my ID's .

It remains a mystery to me as to what good , if any , or what harm it's doing anyone.

I'd love to know how they got in there, though . Sure wasn't anything I did .

I think it's also a safe guess that if mine are indexed , then there are thousands of other duplicates just like it for each and every advertiser at CJ, except with different ID's .

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Hmmmm.. Blocking google from qksrv.net might have all sorts of adverse effects.

Any SE buffs care to comment?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

On second thought, maybe I don't understand what everyone it talking about.

I agree with Drewbert - SE gurus, comments welcome.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Quote "It remains a mystery to me as to what good , if any , or what harm it's doing anyone."

Seems harmless enough, but I believe there are some merchants that don't pay unless the click originated directly through a site.

Does this mean that if Google starts posting all those links in their search engine would the merchant look at it as buying a direct link? How would they know? Would they have to go to that search engine and figure out if the affiliate paid for the link or it just got randomized in the database?

(Pondering jumping off Coldsprings Bridge while at CJU. Ah.. while holding hands with ebates, topmoxie, igive and the rest of the crowd... }

Allen

Show me the Big Bucks!

CJ loves this! Why would the EVER want to put that robots.txt file in there... they make money!

ABW Ambassador
    If you look for www.qksrv.net in Google (as though you're looking for the site itself), you'll notice that it isn't indexed. No robot.txt needed.

The thing that happened is that Google examined the content of the www.qksrv.net/click-aid link and confused it with the destination page, namely, http://www.jcwhitney.com/JCWMotorcycle.jhtml

It therefore attributed PageRank to the qksrv link that really belonged to the jcwhitney page.

If you notice the 180 or so pages Google states is linking to the qksrv link, you'll notice they don't really link to it, but are linking to the jcwhitney page either directly...or indirectly (through another affiliates CJ link).

This has been commonplace with Google for years, and maybe one day they'll have a fix for it.

I wish I knew if those particular affiliates that are so fortunate for this to happen to them...whether they are getting credited for those sales originating outside their site ???

So far, from what Tod has cared to share, it doesn't look as though they would be denied such sales.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL Gearshopper commits the ultimate sacrifice... "(Pondering jumping off Coldsprings Bridge while at CJU. Ah.. while holding hands with ebates, topmoxie, igive and the rest of the crowd... }

Those coupons sure are good at pushing all others aside at Google for those Merchant names.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

getting indexed is better than
    not indexed in an overall sense of welfare.

We get this traffic out of "pure luck"

http://8n.nu/

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread