I was wondering whether any other international affiliates had the same problem I have just encountered.

Last week I received my first 2 affiliate checks from LinkShare merchants, the amounts both not exceeding $30. I went as usual to cash them, but I was told that international clients need to pay the Bank $75 charge fee!!

Now I think this is a little bit way to ridiculous paying $75 charge fee to cash a $30 check! Of course I didn't cash the check, it's definitely not worth it, so what now? I know we're talking about only a couple of dollars here... but hey that my money!!

Did any other international affiliate have the same experience when trying to cash LinkShare checks... I didn't have this problem with CJ and SAS checks... this is totally unfair!!

I would appreciate any feedback, especially from LS moderators.

Thanks!!

SASSY

I'm a lucky bastard, my bank doesn't charge ANYTHING for cashing in checks!

Try at some other bank, I know different banks have different rules regarding cashing in international checks.

YOURsoft affiliate software
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    A good parasite is a dead parasite. Screw it up and you're screwed!
    Save your affiliate program, save your earnings; Fight ParasiteWare™!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Actually it wasn't MY bank that wanted to charge the fee... I don't get charged anything (locally) either!! It's was the Bank of NY that posed the $75 charge!!

Sassy Sarah

Make friends with someone in the US. Endorse it payable to them and have them deposit it and send you the actual cash money. If wrapped inconspiculously, padded business envelope sealed with tape, cash is safer in the mail than one would think. Sure, a little risk but not so much as one might suppose. If you have a high ranking site maybe you can find somone trustworthy and give them links in exchange for their trouble. One hand washes the other.

You would, of course, pay postage.

By the time the checks get large enough to tempt an honest person, you won't mind the $75.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

[This message was edited by SSanf on September 24, 2003 at 10:32 AM.]

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Or some one needs to set up a professional system to help International Affiliates with their payment problems...

All our LS Merchant programs will hold payment back for you until the cheque reaches a larger size if requested. But $75 from the Bank of NY is insane, I've never head it be that high!!

Cheers

Chris

Make friends with someone in the US. Endorse it payable to them and have them deposit it and send you the actual cash money. If wrapped inconspiculously, padded business envelope sealed with tape, cash is safer in the mail than one would think. Sure, a little risk but not so much as one might suppose. If you have a high ranking site maybe you can find somone trustworthy and give them links in exchange for their trouble. One hand washes the other.

You need to be careful because some banks may not accept a check payable to another person (other than the account holder) since they do not know if it is a stolen check.

Perhaps a better alternative for a person residing in another country is to open an account with a bank in the US. I do not know the steps that are to be followed but can find out with my local bank. If this is something that is of interest to you, please let me know.

You also need to be aware that for the most part, local banks place a "hold" of up to 15 days on out-of-state checks until the check clears (that's how they make their money via the interest accrued on the money, they usually receive the funds via electronic transfer in 24-48 hours but still hold on to your money)

Gil

I apologize for the double post - Mr. Gates program froze on me.

Gil

A $75 fee to cash a $30 check?!?!? That's robbery! It will be interesting to see what LinkShare has to say about this, if anything...

Andy

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andy:
    A $75 fee to cash a $30 check?!?!? That's robbery! It will be interesting to see what LinkShare has to say about this, if anything...
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the word might be Usery not robbery.

ABW Ambassador
    i live in the uk, and cash my cheques in barclays, they charge £0 for any cheques under $50 or £50 not sure which!!

they charge for over £50, but not that much. so its handy when i get the low cheques, as i know they do not get a fee.

but linkshare should really do dd, like cj.com, will cost us affiliates a lot less!!

*** And people say I'm just a housewife!!! ha ha ***

It's not the LOCAL bank which is charging the fee... I have been cashing checks at a financial institution over here for a while now and they charge absolutely nothing. It's the bank in the US which is posing this charge.

So you're saying it is possible to request LS merchants to withhold payment until amount reaches higher figures? I've tried looking around LS options and preferences and stuff... but I didn't find anything which I thought would help.

I have no clue what I'm going to do.

It would be nice if some LS representative would see to this though. It would be VERY nice in fact.

Sassy Sarah

You have to write the affiliate manager of each program and have them put you on hold. I think it is a manual process.

I have been looking for an international bank account myself, and I have located two candidates. One is chase.com which allows foreigners to open a US bank account. I still haven't quite figure out how much such an account will cost me in fees and stuff, but you can cash your checks for free.

The other is the Swiss Mail, postfinance.ch, where you can also open an international account, in dollars or euros. They charge $4 for cashing a US check.

I still haven't decided, since there's quite some reading to do on the terms and conditions.

Just a word to the wise... Whichever way you decide to go, you want the bank to do electronic transfer of funds to your local bank, since the money will be available almost immediately.

Gil

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's the bank in the US which is posing this charge.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which bank? Is it the bank that LS uses, or just one that processes transactions from your bank. I am just curious.

If the charge is from the LS bank, then LS should have stern words for the bank.

I admit, I am surprised that LS and other networks are contracting out the distribution of international checks...so that they could transfer the money across the borders and a lump sum, then distribute it locally according to local banking customs.

sound thinking

The charge is from LS bank... I believe it's Bank of NY.

I guess when my bank went to try and cash it it contacted Bank of NY, and that's when my bank found out about the fee. Of course they told me it's not worth it so they didn't cash them. Which is reasonable.

Mmmm I'll look into those international bank accounts too. Will let you guys know if I find anything interesting.

I'm just saying to myself though. The Internet and this whole thing should serve to break down business boundaries across the countries, you know make thinks more flexible. And now this? And all this hassle international affiliates have to go through. It's just sad, and definitely not fair. A matter which can be solved very easily as well. Haven't these people heard of Western Union and stuff!?!?

Sassy Sarah

Affiliate Network Rep
    Sassy Sarah,

This is the first that I have heard of this. Let have my team get on this ASAP on Monday morning. All I can say is I have no idea what the Bank of NY is thinking.

Steve

Thankx a lot for all your help

Will check back again here if I hear anything too. Thanks.

Sassy Sarah

Affiliate Network Rep
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smesser:
    Sassy Sarah,

This is the first that I have heard of this. Let me have my team get on this ASAP on Monday morning. All I can say is I have no idea what the Bank of NY is thinking.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi Sassy Sarah - We apologize for your inconvenience. We will issue you a foreign draft for the 2 checks which you were unable to deposit. The foreign draft will enable you to deposit the check(s) without any foreign bank fees, and we will use this method going forward to ensure you have no issues. Please send me an email at abw@linkshare.com with your information.

To All - If you are a foreign affiliate and encounter any deposit issues (i.e. collections or currency fees at your bank), please contact our support team at contact@linkshare.com prior to depositing the check. LinkShare will make other arrangements on your behalf to prevent any fees.

Thanks,
    Sarah

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Talk about a good move Sarah and Steve for recruiting more foreign affiliates.....

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    First, click programs and content are able make money with the arrival of AdSense. And now LinkShare's going out of the way to pay?!

Assuming those drafts arrive, that confirms it--H is definitely frozen solid. With permafrost.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

nice move, LS. I'm not in this position, but glad to see the positive outcome on your part.

Thanks LS for helping out and trying to solve my problem.

I'm sure it will get solved.

Thanks for your effort

Sassy Sarah

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread