Affiliate Manager
    Has anyone had any experience with Linkshare ads being blocked by shareware or others?

I'm having problems seeing Linkshare ads on other affiliate sites, and worse checking links that I create for myself. Apparently, this is specific to my PC, so it's something on my machine, but I cannot identify it.

I also cannot connect to www.linkshare.com, but can do so without the www. at linkshare.com.

I've uninstalled Kazaa as per Linkshare suggestion, but still am having this problem.

Does anyone know of any other programs or other that I can check on my PC?

Thanks!!

Robert Yang

www.fullthrottledvd.com
    www.dailyolive.com

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    More likely it is some type of adblocking software that you have on your system. There are many possibilites. Even possibily your hosting company. Are you running a firewall? Check to see if some blocking preferences are turned on there. Also check any parasiteware removal software you may be using for the same thing. Hard to say without knowing the software you are running on your system.

You can do a ctrl alt delete to see what all programs are running for you and try to narrow it down from there. If something is running that you know what it is end task then check the links to see if they start working. Process of elimination.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Robert,

You mentioned that you uninstalled Kazaa. Do you have kazaa lite (a separate product from a different company) installed on that PC? In that case, uninstall that. Also check your hosts file under c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc directory. If you find any line with "linkshare", remove it. Hope this helps.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Rob,

linksynergy.com is the domain that serves LinkShare ads. You said in another post this is affecting CJ link too.

Do you have any Norton security or firewall programs installed?

PLEASE when you discover what programs is blocking the affiliate links report back and let us know. Please provide the exact version of the software if you can.

Thanks,

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    <FONT size="1">4LowRates ::ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: zZounds :: Roadloans :: More Soon!
    </font>

ABW Ambassador
    Kazza will block them probably as will Norton Firewall and probably a host of other firewalls if you have ad-blocking turned on.

Affiliates really do face an up-hill battle.

Download Site Map Creator Today

Affiliate Manager
    Great suggestions, everyone. I'll do some checking and give everyone a status report back.

One thing it that I've run Ad-aware on my machine, but looked thru the logs and do not find anything related to linkshare or linksynergy in them. But could there be something else about Ad-aware that's mucking things up?

Robert Yang

www.fullthrottledvd.com
    www.dailyolive.com

It has also been reported that Alexa Toolbar does same things even though we could not get it to replicate the same error.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    rob,

what version of adaware are you running? free or paid? the paid versions do have blocking features, so if you have a paid version you might want to see if the blocking is turned on. Since LS cookies are detected by the scan of adaware I'm assuming they would block LS also. I have the free version, not the paid.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

There were some problems with a Norton firewall upgrade... was blocking all ads..

I believe it was url based, and blocked anything that was ad related. (qksrv.net-- any Commission Junction ad as well).

Cheers!

A Good Friend will come bail you out of jail, but a True Friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, That Was Fun!!"

Affiliate Manager
    I'm free! I'm free.

Thanks KCEdit! I thought I had checked all my hosts files but found one that was kazaa related when I went directly into the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc directory. Removed all the linkshare and linksynergy lines, and now all my links are working.

One thing though, is that I think this directory is Kazaa related not Kazaa lite. Why is Kazaa adblocking? Is this a parasite thing?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions,

Robert

Robert Yang

www.fullthrottledvd.com
    www.dailyolive.com

ABW Ambassador
    Kazaa and Kazaa Lite are 2 separate products. Kazaa is a parasiteware. Kazaa Lite was designed to stop Kazaa and alikes. They went overboard and basically stopped all ads to appear. The way they do it is very simple. When the browser needs to display a page or a graphic, it first resolves the domain name to the IP address and then asks for the specific object from that IP. Before it looks at the domain name server, the system checks the hosts file. If the hosts file has an entry for that domain, browser gets the IP from that file. Kazaa Lite added most ad networks domain name in the hosts file with an "invalid" IP. So the browser can never get the page/graphic from real sever and cannot display it.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread