Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I cannot find any information at LS about them. A search doesn't find Walmart.

How much do they pay and is it worth building sites for them.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Merchant Name Impressions Click-Throughs C/I(%) # of Orders # of Items # of Items Canceled O/C(%) Sales($) Commissions($)
    Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC 590,541 4,529 0.77% 5 8 0 0.11% $473.15 $24.30

They usually turn on their reporting tags during the Christmas shopping season. Till then enjoy a conversion ratio of 1 sale per 1000 clicks.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They usually turn on their reporting tags during the Christmas shopping season. Till then enjoy a conversion ratio of 1 sale per 1000 clicks.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do they really turn on their reporting tags, Mike ?

The reason I ask is because their Holiday junk is about all I need them for anyway, so this could possibly work out . Then , after the Holidays ...Sayonara Walmart .

I average about $1000-$2000 in sales a month in the off season with them. I don't heavily promote them, but they are consistent. 1 sale for every 87 click thrus for September.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Connie has the secret sauce...either force the shopper to accept a online only special or forget them converting traffic with their 1 sesson only cookie.

Yes Lisa they convert better at Christmas for those who don't have a closeby Walmart. I need to figure out how to get the freakin eskimos you visit my site all year round. Maybe if I put up some of those cute Pink Florida Flamingos they'd flock to me.

11/15/2002 - 12/25/2002

Merchant Name Impressions Click-Throughs C/I(%) # of Orders # of Items # of Items Canceled O/C(%) Sales($) Commissions($)
    Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC 165,838 1,654 1.00% 21 25 0 1.27% $1,304.65 $71.74

Basically without the secret sauce just put up Walmart creatives November 15th and pull them down on Christmas Eve. That was the exact trend for 3 years!! That is also why Walmart's outsourced AM firm is under a gag order to not discuss their program in an open forum.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Maybe someone could throw some light how my steady mix of traffic for 7 years, without any PPCSE influence can find the Walmart Bargains I showcase attractive for a 45 day period. Conversion ratio, without posting specific Christmas Walmart specials, averaged 1/80 for 3 years. After the first of the year even with more creatives -individual product links and even occasional seasonal specials the conversion ratio never got better than 1/850.

I'm sure there are other Walmart affiliates here willing to also share their stats and conversion ratios on the Walmart program. I know Walmart and have sold closeout computer products to their Sam's Wholesale club all during the 80's. They are a shrued and honest group. I do not know their Affiliate management team, which once was fired and replaced by whoever is their current management.

They are the world's largest company and certainly should demand more out of their AM team, who seem to be content to repeat some shady practices to put smoke and mirror spin on their programs performance to Walmart management. No since looking for parasites, as this type of AM team will automatically embrace the BHO's, but more is at work here as to why they and Dell.com refuse to address this issue here or on any affiliate board.

Linkshare should spread some light on this as they've led with these major brands for years while hiding their true performance.

Analyzing these two merchants alone are the secret to unlocking some of the secrets that would help all here understand this paradox. How could the #1 Computer retailer and the #1 worldwide Department store consistently have such miserable conversion performance across a BROAD group of affiliates.

If we spend a week discussing these two, ABW will reveal and learn the real success and failure techniques that would impact all merchant programs. I'd expect some input from ABW knowledgeable AM's who just might land these 2 accounts if Dell and Walmart decide to lurk here. If no change comes about then at least you'll get some insight on 2 forces that compete with you for daily sales if you cross their productline paths.

Mike & Charlie ...

I could never promote Wal-Mart, nor could I force myself to shop there. Wal-Mart is largely responsible for the disappearance of family owned small retail businesses across the country. Wal-Mart moves in, has lower prices due to their volume, and put everyone else out of business. It's happened hundreds of times across America.

Now I hear reports that they don't treat their employees as well as their TV commercials would have you believe, and they're trying to force people off land they've had in the family for generations so they can build a new store.

These big companies need to be stopped. It isn't doing anyone any good except for the top execs which make obscene amounts of money. And it doesn't "trickle down" to the employees.

Wal-Mart is the retail version of VeriSign, and they think they can do whatever they want to do when they want to do it. Disgusting. People shouldn't support companies that do this.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Most of the year Walmart doesn't convert great because just about every town has one. They convert better at Christmas because a lot of people will pay the extra shipping so they don't have to wait in those long lines. If they ever started offering free shipping, then conversion would go up.

As far as Walmart making small family owned businesses disappear yes. Why? Because people in the community where they open up Wal-Marts flock there because of lower prices and selection. Thats just competition.

"It isn't doing anyone any good except for the top execs"

Low prices helps everybody, especially people on tight budgets. Also brings in a lot of jobs to small towns, and usually pretty secure since usually when a Walmart opens up, they're not going anywhere and you can make money if you move up in the company as with any company. It's just business, whoever offers the products people want at the best prices. Yes it's sad a lot of mom and pops go out of business, but we live in a capitalistic society, thats just the way it is.

Actually i think Sam Walton is an American success story. His first store was Walton's Five and Dime in 1950 in some little city in Arkansas. He opened his first Walmart store in 1962 because he knew people like discount retailing. Same year, 1962, Kmart, Woolworth and Target had their first stores. Americans like discounts.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on October 05, 2003 at 11:23 AM.]

[OT Rant]
    Walmat is moving into the inner cities and they don't care how many businesses they put under in the process.

I live in a historic neighborhood and all the adjoining neighborhoods are also on the national historic register. New Orleans is built on swamp land. That means that every time a big truck or bus drives by, the houses shake.

Now we will have hords of cars and trucks rolling down our aging streets, shaking our historic homes. Don't get me started on the traffic. They are putting this Walmart where it's only fed by 2 lane streets. The surburbs have 6 lanes and they are horribly congested, how do they think that 2 lanes in a quiet residential neighborhood can support this traffic?!

I'll drive 20 mintues out of my way to go to KMart. Walmart cares only about money.

You think they are creating jobs? Part time jobs at minimum wage with NO benefits is a sad replacement for a full time job with benefits at the local hardware store, or grocery store. Not to mention all the small businesses that support the owner and owner's family.

Did I mention that this particular development will be funded with TAX dollars? And that ALL Walmart's sales taxes will go to a bond for the developer to build Market Rate property? When Walmart puts all the local business out of business, the city will see a $100 million dollar loss to the coffers!

Business as usual in New Orleans!

Do you really want to promote a business like this?
    [Rant over]

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

ABW Ambassador
    They have some of that where i live too, don't like seeing it. Wish more local businesses would survive a WalMart coming into the community. But WalMart survives and thrives because that community supports WalMart by shopping there. I live in the middle of nowhere and a WalMart came in a few years ago and its the center of the universe. The place is always packed. People like convenience, low prices and a good selection and if local businesses can't handle that, then WalMart will. I think local businesses and people affected adversely don't like it, but overall the community as a whole likes them. I personally like Target better and they convert better too

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    300 Clicks zero sales. Me thinks the shipping costs are too high for the bargain concious shoppers that would hit the store.

Walmart killed our Downtown. We used to have a really nice town, lots of little shops. Walmart came and killed it.

I think those that shop online at Walmart do so because their customer service locally sucks and they get tired of waiting in the one open checkout line while the other employees stand around and visit.

Our Walmart is one of the worst.

Connie Berg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Walmart killed our Downtown. We used to have a really nice town, lots of little shops. Walmart came and killed it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Same thing happened here as well, although it wasn't Wal-Mart that did it. It was all the suburban shopping areas. Our downtown is dead. We just passed a tax increase to build a new arena downtown, expand and rehab our convention center, develop the river front, etc., all in an effort to jump start a dead downtown area.

Meanwhile, in the burbs, Wal-Mart is building Super Centers and their little spin-off grocery stores as fast as they can pour concrete!

I feel really bad for all the great little stores that don't exist any longer. They used to carry a great variety of merchandise. Now, we don't have any choice. We take what we can get, because that's all there is. If we don't like it, too bad, that's all there is!

I hope our downtown is revitalized by this new development, it could really be beautiful. We are the #3 city in the world for surviving Art Deco architecture, right after NYC and Miami.

Andy

They started tearing down the buildings on our main street. No tenants left the buildings just sitting there, with no motivation for the owners to fix them up.

Sad thing is, our Walmart isn't even a good one. Our town only has about 9000 people so we have a small one. We have to travel out of town to get most of what we want or need.

Good news is, we have an over abundance of gas stations and liquor stores....

I have lived in this town all my life and am seriously contemplating leaving. There is nothing left here.

They say how much they do for the community, but I don't see the $500 annual checks to the school programs as a whole lot.

And before they came, there were plenty of small businesses to employ the people that work there, so they sure didn't bring any jobs.

Connie Berg

ABW Ambassador
    Walmart does a lot for towns. For example, they usually start by buying up several farms just outside the city limits where taxes are lower...that means they help some farmers liquidate their assets. When the farmland turns to suburb...meaning money for the folks that didn't sell. Most towns end up annexing the land with the Walmart...meaning the towns grow (in size at least).

The Internet now is one of the big killers for small towns. So we are all feeding the beast.

sound thinking

LOL at "Till then enjoy a conversion ratio of 1 sale per 1000 clicks."

EcomCity,

Your posts always makes me laugh, and you are one of the few who speaks his mind.

I went to your site to take a look. Don't take this the wrong way, but do you make enough money from this site to support yourself?

I'm not really an affialiate fan. I lean towards click ads. I can't see how you guys make money to where it supports you.

Also, from the search engine, are your visitors coming straight to your home page or to one of your internal pages?

Thanks, man. Keep up with the funny comebacks.

Perry
    ClickMagazine.NET
    BetterSexBetterDating.com

ClickMagazine.NET

Like many sites EcomCity's internal pages generate the highest amount of traffic. Most land on the various themed shopping sections. basically it's just a test bed marketplace to test out various merchants and see which one's actually do convert due to their site designs.

None of those successful designs are evident at EcomCity ...LOL.

Mike & Charlie ...

So are your internal pages a test bed or just your home page?

Perry's busy stuffing his face, he had a lot more to say but I'm NOT his secretary. I paraphrased a bit.

Thanks

www.ClickMagazine.Net

ABW Ambassador
    Where I used to live, the downtown and local businesses went under long before Walmart was a household name.

Affiliates are, for the most part, taking business away from those surviving quaint local businesses.

Affiliate Manager
    As proof of what one bad experience can do for someone- I do about 2/3 of all my shopping online- but refuse to shop and walmart.com.

In 1996 I needed a new modem- went to walmart.com for my purchase. The modem came, I installed- and it didn't work. I spent a full afternoon playing with jumpers, using the manual and getting no where. I finally called the modem companies customer care line for help. They had me run a series of tests that reveaked the modem I bought was not theirs. It came in their box, but the actual modem was a different brand. The very nice customer care person actually did help me install the cmpetition's modem.

I called Wal-mart and was told that there really wasn't a problem since the one I had been sent was the same value- but I could pony up for shipping and send it back if I wanted.

blech

In house, I've actually had good customer care at wal mart when I've needed to use them. They outperformed a "real" shoe store when trying to fit my son for shoes- his feet are high- not wide- and getting shoes for the first year was a real pain.

Jessica Hutson
    Senior Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network

A parasite free contract since June 2001
    http://ian.com

i have walmart as a store but havent promoted them since i seen them on the igive/topmoxie list 2.0% and you wonder why the dont convert well. i believe they do the are just not crediting you with the sale!
    vinny
    shop7.com

ABW Ambassador
    Wal-Mart doesn't kill towns, people kill towns. People make the decision to support whatever business they find most convenient or cheapest.

It is sad that many, not all, small businesses cannot compete with large ones. In that respect I agree.

Ultimately ALL business, whether big or small, runs into one thing. Competition. Those who adjust or rather pioneer thriv. Those who do not, don't and die.

And further, all businesses started out "Small" and not unlike wal-mart grow because they know how to compete which ultimately means bringing things that "you and I" want and are willing to pay for. Eventually "good" small business become good "big" businesses. That is what Wal-mart is and has brought to consumers.

It is a cost we are willing in to pay for in a free market society and is heart of the very reason this country exists. Hopefully we can all remember that.

It's not exactly free competition. Walmart will price themselves so they are taking a loss and then raise prices once they have eliminated the competition. They use a lot of underhanded practices.

Not exactly fair since the mom and pop stores don't have much to fall back on.

www.ClickMagazine.Net

Monopolistic Competition, old chum

ABW Ambassador
    They have such strong buying power that can put a great deal of pressure on manufacturers. I wonder to what extent the Walmart factor has led to the collapse of the American manufacturing sector. Basically, Walmart and the Internet have forces manufacturers into selling with almost no margin...meaning bumps in the economy wipe them off the face of the earth:

Here is a chart of US manufacturing jobs:

BLS Manufacturing Stats

sound thinking

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast