Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    15 years and counting
    Joined them end of July, had a few pages built in August, got 3 sales in 2 weeks. Nothing to brag about but just received an email from 1-800-contacts "Affiliation Terminated: The site was not generating sales for us" I don't even know who's their affiliate mgr, the email was not even signed. They are building up their EPC, 3 months $25.95 7 days $50.64 Some of you must be making money. Are they trying to lure new affiliates? just to drop them as soon as their pages are in the se. Don't feel sorry for me, I've never been dropped before for poor performance, I will not switch my commissions for this guy salary and my pages are already back with their competition. Just want to let you know in case you're just starting promoting them.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

ABW Ambassador
    They dropped me early this spring, I had a go around with them, I did make a few sales, and had another contact lens company who at the time was racking it in for me as far as sales.

She first blew it off...Good luck, we're the best, yayadayadayadayada....

Then I posted my current stats.....Then oops we deleted you by mistake.

Guess who isn't my website?

------------------------------------------------------------Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open. Thomas Dewar

ABW Ambassador
    Same here! Started with them in July and they dropped me for the same reason. Doesn't upset me in the least.
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

As there is a general statistic that on average 80% of affiliates for a merchant (any merchant) will generate virtually no click throughs and no sales, it seems a bit of an odd policy to be dropping some of those people in the 20% who DO!!

Thanks for the warnings. I have some pages in the making for their competition -- the 1-800 bit was a bit much, but there was one item they fit better. Maybe I'll nix it instead.

Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent email left on the planet.

ABW Ambassador
    lol... it must be a trend. I had a run-in with the AM a while back and I dropped them.

I think I dropped them about a split-second before the AM could get her finger on the "drop affiliate" button.

"The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes." -- Holly, from Red Dwarf

15 years and counting
    Is'nt it funny. Just got a new sale for them.
    $39.90 $3.19 1-800 CONTACTS 86721233 NA 08/27/02 03:03 PM 08/27/02 03:05 PM
    It took me max 10 mimutes between the time I received their email and the time I uploaded the modified pages so this will be my last. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    By the way they gave me 7 days but I can't resist I have to drop them asap (before being deactivated)

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Wow, glad I'm not alone. Just built new pages for eyewear, got 2 sales this month for an EPC well above their 3-month EPC, and got the same deactivation many others seem to have gotten about lack of sales.

I guess this is an example of a merchant that just doesn't get it. Anyone playing for network numbers rather than total gross affiliate sales just doesn't understand affiliate marketing, but its their call, I'll just have to focus on other eye merchants if they don't change their mind.

You think that's funny? How about this ...

I've had a second CJ account for years that I didn't use for anything. A year ago I used it to apply for 1800contacts because they rejected my primary account.

It is the only merchant in that account, and I've only placed one ad for them. In the past year, that ad has gotten about 8,000 impressions, about 25 clicks and no sales.

But guess who's still an active affiliate?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

- Ed

They dropped me too, there are alternatives at cj and on the other networks, just send that traffic elsewhere [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm afraid to even look at my stats for them after going 8 rounds with LensXpress at BeFree. This AM must have been given the ultimatum to make sure their affiliate base produces at the minimum EPC level or they get booted. I have an optical shop so who should I promote?? Only sunglasses.com show sales besides some designer sunglasses from Overstock. Eyeglasses.com =Zero sales on 811 clicks.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Their AM seems really snooty. OH well, their loss.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, all this is VERY strange to me. I slapped 1800 links on my site about a month ago, haven't had a sale and haven't heard a thing.

Maybe there's a trend for canning affiliates that make sales. THAT would make MORE sense than most managers I've corresoponded with recently.

But, I don't think I want to wait for them to can me. I don't need another big red dot in my listing. These folks are obvious retards. I'm yanking them.

Whatever happened to the days when making sales was a GOOD thing? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

15 years and counting
    Cyclone,
    I still can't understand the logic behind that. I had a surge in traffic, I was lucky enough to rank well for contact lenses with Google, the 2nd month my links were up. I must have triggered something with 1-800-Contacts AM. I have a plain vanilla shopping web site for their links, family oriented, nothing offensive, their own wording and links. I've already made sales with their competitors and with side links like Eyes Colors, just in a few hours.
    I was thinking to call their top management, but like somebody said, their loss. I've learn from my mistakes, why to I have to help them by telling them how @rewy they are. We have many good affiliate managers on this board, they have been learning from our posts. I know some who will have paid us extra for a good listing in Google for their products.

This is the dark side of EPC. The merchants at CJ must feel so much pressure to get their EPC up that they'll drop low EPC affiliates.

Abagoo, maybe you're safe because you're not affecting their EPC. You haven't sent them enough clicks to get an EPC of your own for that merchant?

The problem is, a potentially successful affiliate who's building a site will have low EPC for a while. Wanting only experienced well-established affiliates is a short-sighted strategy.

Go build your site and test and learn with some other program -- and stay there.

I've had 1-800 contacts up for months on one active page and not a single sale (at least that is what their stats show). It really is time for me to drop them. They have been MY poor performer, not the other way around.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

15 years and counting
    Just an update on 1-800-contacts.
    I was deactivated and they finally show up in my "Rejected Applications" folder after their 7 days notice.
    Surprise, I had a sales from 1-800-contacts this morning.
    Sale New $129.80 $10.38 1-800 CONTACTS NA 09/06/02 08:32 AM 09/06/02 08:35 AM
    How can I have a sale if my account with them is deactivated and my links down?
    And then, I had a welcome this morning from 1-800-Contacts in my mail "Thank you for joining ... we are exited to have you and we are ready for our partnership to grow ... We have a lot of successful affiliates on board and we hope you'll be our newest, Please upload your links today... Signed by a Jessica their AM.
    It took me a few days to switch more than 1000 links to their competitor web sites and the day it's all done, to get that!!!
    I never sent an email, didn't call them, I just sent my traffic to somebody else.
    How can they decide to put me back in their program against my will?

Smart move there you guys. A merchant should congratulate an affiliate for their first sale and also their first pay check.They may try to pad that EPC but little do they know those efforts are being thrown in the dumpster here and the ABWers are on the lookout for performers and also those who will soon plummet to the reject pile.

I'm not on their radar since in 9 months they produce zero sales for my eyeglasses shop.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Its happened to me
    then i emailed em tell bla bla with anger
    and showing my stats for em
    then they canceled termination [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

BWahahahahaha, LMAO:
    quote:
    1-800 CONTACTS would like to thank you for being a part of our affiliate program. To date, our program has been very successful. We can attribute that to you!

Over the past few months, we have made several enhancements to our site, www.contacts.com, including:

The addition of eye drops, solutions and eye make-up remover pads to our list of available products.
    A new "Prescription and Doctor" help guide dedicated to educating contact lens wearers.
    New discounts giving customers $10 to $20 off certain types of contacts based on the quantity they purchase.Click here to see how you can save an additional $10-$20 on your 1-800 CONTACTS online order!
    Get Html

These are just a few of the changes that have made our site more user-friendly for our customers. Since implementation, we have seen a nice increase in online orders, which is good news for both of us!

Please continue to promote 1-800 CONTACTS on your site. We are here to help, so please e-mail us should you have any questions or ideas.

Sincerely,

I just finished the contact lens section last week -- AFTER this thread was started, so I didn't include any links to them. All links go to the competitor. Guess I should email them a courtesy link to this thread.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

quote:
    posted by Canfree:
    Then I posted my current stats.....Then oops we deleted you by mistake.

ROTFLMAO! I applied to them a few months ago but they declined me (losers).

{

"Laziness, Impatience, Hubris. Pick any three" ~ YAPC 19100

I got the same notice from 1-800contacts. Isn't interesting how that all of a sudden arrived after the negative comments here.

They can thank me all they want, but I'm waiting for them to perform before I push their links more.

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

Hello,

I absolutely apologize for any problems that you had prior to me being the AM at 1-800 CONTACTS. We had a 3rd party company running the affiliate program. We (the 3rd party and 1-800) then realized that it would be much more effective if we brought it in-house. I came on board about November/December. Since then I have been working hard to create an affiliate-friendly program that focuses on working directly with the affiliates (meaning communication). Since coming on-board I feel that I have made a lot of improvements to the program and I plan on continuing this trend.

Once again, I apologize for the problems in the past. I assure you that we have a very good web site, a very successful program, and that we are headed in the right direction (up). If the 1-800 CONTACTS program did anything negative in the past, I encourage you to give us another try. I am devoted 100% to making sure we have a jointly successful partnership. We are committed to listening to affiliate feedback and being quick to answer/solve their concerns.

Josh Aston
    801 924 9878
    jaston@1800contacts.com

Josh the ball is in your court as I placed new links to 1-800-contacts. Let's see if you can duplicate the performance of Essential Apparel when they first came here.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Mike,

Josh Aston rocks. I can personally attest he is one stand up guy and he will make his program #1 in the vision care industry.

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com

Parasite Free in 2003!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast