Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How do you guys like these two Merchants?

Are they good converters? Parasites?

What's been your experience?

Thanks!

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Overstock is more OVERexposed than a female hooker in a tittie bar. Look for 1/300 conversion ratio there as their incent offerings are the same for any visitor there.

Sierra trading post is anal on their trademarks and brand advertising and prefer affiliates push full retail priced goods. Look for 1/400 conversion ratio unless you have a lot of pre-sell spin and outdoor/climber related content.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Sierra Trading Post: 1 sale for every 17 clicks for the year, on a regular shopping site. 2 lines of spin.

Mike where do you have them on your site, couldn't find them.

Sierra Trading Post, 1 order per every 12 clickthrus.

Overstock, 1 order per every 23 clickthrus.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

Trustno1 they are on my frontpage -clothing and sports shop areas. I has some real issues over their slow loading DRMs that often locked my already slow loading pages from fully displaying. When they show me a better conversion ratio I'll increase traffic as no merchnat deserves showcase exposure till they start cutting me checks.

I'm not into pushing coupons in the PPCSE's and even Overstock's challenge to give me privated labeled front page DRM coupon showcases fell on it's butt in front of everyone here. Those willing to play the Advertising game with coupons-rewards and loyality shopping BHO's dominate this industry with traffic and cookie setting schemes.

Someone has to be the spokesperson for the normal affiliate who requires the merchants do their part by building sites that convert targeted traffic. That person has been me for 5 years as I get a thrill on seeing some merchant AM's actually realize shoppers do not like to be manipulated or incneted to buy from their storefronts. Be content that you and others get to hijack my shoppers when they see that "enter coupon code here" part in the checkout process. Call it my gift to you and the merchants who appreciate getting more profit from my referral sales to poor back into their sites to increase conversion ratios.

I know the game very well and refuse to play it!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Mike:

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...354#7736099354

"Someone has to be the spokesperson for the normal affiliate"

I think you're the only one who believes that. Maybe spokesperson for affiliates who never learn to convert.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

Thank you couponers for pointing out that successful affiliate marketing requires building out 5000 more coupon and incent sites. I will only showcase Sierra Trading Post individual product links when they approach the conversion ratio of Essential Apparel.

Best of luck in the Serps.

Mike & Charlie ...

ABW Ambassador
    Mike, my type of site gets bookmarked and is not totally reliant on the SERPS, unlike yours. I can't see anybody bookmarking that.

Not only do you not use everything the merchants give you, you also throw it up on your site in one big mess then complain about the merchants when they don't convert. That's all you. Stop looking to blame your non-converting site on them, its you.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Mike also doesn't frame his links. There can be many reasons for differences in conversions among affiliates.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    I don't frame my links to all merchants and i don't frame them to Sierra Trading Post. I think most people here realize why Mike has problems converting, it's not a mystery.

Sierra Trading Post Conversions:

Trust 1/17
    Connie 1/12
    Mike 1/400

Same merchant, different affiliates. You should be able to tell where the problem lies.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on October 18, 2003 at 10:00 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I see pretty much same ratio like Connie and Trust for both the merchants. I never pushed Siera Trading that much though. Overstock is converting better for the last 2-3 months. Wish they had at least 5% for books.

ROLMAO ...they don't call me the "Master Baiter" for nothing and now my plan to get 200 coupon SE spammers hawking the SERPs for OS and Sierra by tuesday should get me a reward by their respective AM's. You guys aught to volunteer writing articles for the shop.org site and the DMA rather then just let Wayne get all the credit.

I lied and YTD Sierra does convert at 1/126 from my links, but pee me off by not responding to the slow DRM e-mail support complaints. Overstock had the same DRM problem, which LS has never addressed by installing a special highspeed server for that dynamic load.

Any of of you coupon folks average $228.00 per order from Overstock for 3 years? How about a 2 year steady 1/60 conversion ratio with an average order size of 267.00 from TigerDirect. You see I'm trying to weed the couponers, tricks for clicks crowd, and the BHO incent marketers out of this industry as both groups threaten our collective ebiz plans and keep AM's focused with a firm mass advertising mindset.

What's next? DoubleClick buying 1-80-solutions, bizrate and Linkshare in the same week....

Mike & Charlie ...

Overstock

Take a few minutes and do a search for Overstock to see how people feel about them.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    "I lied and YTD Sierra does convert at 1/126 from my links"

Great, so next time someone asks about conversions with a merchant you won't lie and say expect 1/400 when you convert at 1/126.

I am still confused on why people are so against Overstock. Is is just because they don't have a forum here anymore?
    Afterall, they did opt out of the Moe Moneymaker and the Golden Retriever thing. I thought that was a great step. I have nothing against them working with those companies as long as the customer has to visit the actual site to buy thru them.

Connie Berg

Connie I never pulled a link to OS over the flames and still have a challenge to them convert on my traffic. I brought them to ABW to show LS could be trusted to report sales. For the first year they were here they averaged 1/55 conversion ratio on my traffic. Then Shawn jumped on the BHO bandwagon after testing the waters and they have never done better than 1/200 since. I invite Shawn to publish my stats here for 2001 -2002 -2003.

Now for Trustno1 coming up with this jewel....

"Stop looking to blame your non-converting site on them, its you."

Your judgement to not reveal your web sites here is well justified, since you only take from this board and never give. Anyone reading that comment would assume that the onis is on the affiliate to effect conversion ratios rather then upon the merchant. Reality is that the onis is on the merchant to prove his worth to this whole group by providing a site that converts better with affiliate pre-sell targeted traffic then he gets from just plain old advertising. You protect your domains from prying eyes, because you do not want others to copy your gimics to overcome crappy converting merchants.

Pot shoot at me all you want, but I place the creatives as dished out by the networks and test the merchants to prove they aren't blowing smoke up ABWers butts that their program is worth promoting. I deep link and even make my own creatives on certain pages to better the conversion odds to put the AM on the spot! Merchants are responsible for sales ..affiliates are responsible for referrals.

Mike & Charlie ...

ABW Ambassador
    "since you only take from this board and never give"

Wow, aren't you full of shit tonite Mike.
    All one has to do is look at your past rants against merchants you can't convert with and you'll see affiliates post right after you that they don't have a problem converting.

Using promotions aren't gimics, that's smart. Even with the suspenders program you run you have free shipping on $65, thats a promotion not a gimic. And after you posted in this thread you had me, Connie, and KCEdit post that we have no conversion problems. All you're doing is outing yourself as an affiliate who doesn't know how to convert after 5 years of doing this. You just don't get it and it looks like that you never will. Even if you don't use coupons, ever here of usability? You can start getting conversions just by fixing that mess of a site. It seems that you don't want to really convert that you just like to ***** and whine all the time. Also stop complaining about Merchants not revealing their conversion rates, when you lie about yours, kinda hypocritical.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it is a valid test for Mike to throw them up and see how they convert. The tricks for clicks (or whatever the expression was) will see different conversions.

For example, if Mike's site refers the shopper, then they goto Connie's site for the coupon (after being alerted to it in checkout), the coupon site will have a better conversion rate. But not everyone is doing the I-set-the final-cookie strategy, so the normal affiliate would fall in between. I just don't see the need to go off on him for using his site for testing purposes.

Jimbo,
    What is the I-set-the final-cookie strategy?

Also, if someone went thru Mike's site and then came to me for the coupon, as long as they don't click on my link, and only copy and paste the coupon Mike would still get credit.

I don't automatically set any cookies when people come to my site.

Connie Berg

Connie,

My issue with Overstock is the fact that Shawn professed to be on the affiliate's side, all the while allowing parasites to flourish in his program.

You can't have it both ways. If you're affiliate friendly, you do what you can to help them make more money promoting your program. You don't allow a third party to steal from them. Yet that's just what Overstock did.

All under the presumption of "working with the parasites to keep them in check." BULLSHOOT! They weren't kept in check. The only lines of communication being kept open were the ones going to the parasites' bank accounts! The parasites were stealing from everyone else in Overstock's program every day, and Shawn knew it and did nothing about it! Can you work for free or at a reduced rate for everyone? No doubt some of your commissions went into the parasites accounts.

Someone can profess to be your friend while sticking a knife in you. In the end, you lose. If you make money with them, great. How much money do you suppose you could have made with them, had they been honest?

As affiliates, we must take a stand and stop promoting merchants who allow others to take our commissions. Stop making exceptions and take a stand against them!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Jimbo, What is the I-set-the final-cookie strategy? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That strategy is to set up search engine friendly sites to pick off visitors that get to the chekout and find a coupon code box.

They really don't have a code, but put something like 'click here for free shipping at Staples' (when the customer was already getting free shipping).

Not that that is your game (I've already complimented your more ethical approach to couponing).

By the way, you ripped ColdwaterCreek a new one for having links to other merchants, yet you still promote parasite-friendly merchants? What is the logic? (was it the stats guru?)

I several times offered the biggest shock and awe campaign to the the entire ABW community to settle once and for all these disputes. With just a few private message exceptions, the board reject or ignored this suggestion, which would have allowed ALL the smoke and mirrors be blown off the affiliate marketing industry.

Name me one place where every ABW member can log in and see what works best in affiliate marketing, and which merchants convert on a variety of affiliate marketing techniques. It sure as hell isn't Flamingo World, EcomCity, 247Mall, ClubMom, Linkshare, Performics, SAS, BeFree or shop.org.

Mike & Charlie ...

ABW Ambassador
    "By the way, you ripped ColdwaterCreek a new one for having links to other merchants, yet you still promote parasite-friendly merchants? What is the logic?"

I know this is for Connie but it's pretty simple, you probably already know the answer. Links to other merchants - leakage. Parasite-friendly merchants - that's visitors expecting to see certain brand name merchants on a shopping site. You have to have those to stay competitive. Sometimes those parasite riddled merchants even convert better than para free merchants. You know there are other considerations when picking a merchant? You have to do more then be parasite free, you actually have to convert and pay. You can also say that affiliates that use any merchant from a network support parasites because thats the only place parasites use them from. Look at a parasites merchant list, all network merchants plus usually 1 indy Amazon. Only parasite free network out there is SAS.

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on October 19, 2003 at 01:45 PM.]

overstock has not been able to convert. over 200 clicks not a sale.

Jason
    xtremeshopping.org
    aim: ssn jason
    <a href="http://www.xtremeshopping.org/affiliateconsulting.html"target="_blank">Xtreme's partnership information<a>

"One thing life taught me: if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else" Eleanor Roosevelt

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> "Someone has to be the spokesperson for the normal affiliate"

I think you're the only one who believes that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sad and tragic truth is that he is NOT the only one who believes that

------------------------------
    "It's nice to be on the banned book list...or banned from anything...it means people fear you" ~ Fred Conquest

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast