This is strange, all of a sudden when I am at home many links and ads are not visible (not just linkshare merchants). When I go to linkshare.com I get a "The page cannot be displayed" error. From work and other computers, everything works fine.

What gives?

www.BargainMonkey.net

ABW Ambassador
    Just you, must be some firewall or ad blocking software or just a fluke.

ABW Ambassador
    More likely you have Kazaa lite installed - that has that effect.

I do have kazaa lite installed. I will try uninstalling it now.

Thanks for the tip!

www.BargainMonkey.net

hmmmm...I uninstalled kazaa lite and I still can not see the links or pages. Does kazaa lite leave something in the registry that causes this, possibly?

Are there any other programs that cause this?

www.BargainMonkey.net

search your computer for a HOSTS file. Lite may have put one there with a blocking list.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

I do have a couple hosts files, but none have any referrences to any of the sites that I am having problems with.

Thanks again for the tips, but I still am not having any luck.

I am behind a router, so I checked to see if that was a problem by bypassing the router and rebooting my computer. Still nothing.

www.BargainMonkey.net

Having the same problem w/ Linkshare rotators and linkshare site in general. I called Linkshare and they are aware of this problem but didn't give concrete example of how to fix. My settings on router are default except password.

You could try renaming your HOST file, reboot and see if you can access Linkshare links.

Also, my understanding is that uninstalling Kazza Lite is not enough - you have to go through the whole Spybot type removal.
    - I am not young enough to know everything

It's not a problem on the client end, it's a problem with the linkshare accessing through restricted ports...

Angry Linkshare is Being Blocked By Most Spyware and Firewalls
    Unfortunately affiliate marketing has been targeted for doom by big business, including the big affiliate players of Linkshare and Commission Junction.

Google has been slowly lowing affiliate links in their rankings.

Norton, Spybot, SpywareBlaster, Everthingisn't, MSN's new purchase of Pest Patrol, and most of the others remove Linkshare's, Commission Junction's, and BeFree cookies and/or immunized their domains/ cookies from being set or used used in the DSN lookup.

You can physically remove the immunization in SpywareBlaster by running through the hundreds of blocked names and unblocking
    Linksynergy
    Commision Junction (Several times)
    Be Fast

EverythingIsn't recognizes the importance of affiliate links and excludes Commission Junction from being blocked, however still blocks Linksynergy, failing to realize that it it is Linkshare

However, most automatically block Linkshare, Commission Junction, Be Fast, and other competing ads.

More and more people are using adware blocking software which removes the good with the bandwidth destroying parasites bringing computers to a standstill.

My affiliate sales of with commissions of almost $100.000
    have been wiped out steadily the approaching $0

The Google toolbar parasites, like the infamous MSSmartTags, by parsing other people's websites for keywords to links that produce revenue to them. For example, if you have a ISDN book number on your website it will create a link to Amazon giving them the revenue to any sales made.

This downgrade of affilitate links, forces both advertisers and websites to abandon them in favor of Google's keyword adsense ads.

They promise to share the revenue with the websites without saying how much. In other words, whatever they please.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Only way out of this senerio is to create a groundswell movement for a Safe Haven Network model, where it's illegal to blank or interfer with the network's coded cookie setting links.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Only way out of this senerio is to create a groundswell movement for a Safe Haven Network model, where it's illegal to blank or interfer with the network's coded cookie setting links.
    Or Federal legislation with a JAIL term and heavy financial penalties for blanking or interfering with the network's coded cookie setting links.

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Or a different methodology for affiliate networks, where affiliate links go direct to the merchant's site. The only cookie deposited is from the merchants hostname, and the merchant communicates with the network (hit/transaction details) via a seperate HTTP connection.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread