Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A while back someone said that perfomics out tracked and out perfomed CJ in a post in the Performics section of Best Web. I shifted three merchants that were on both CJ and performics to performics to check for myself. This was over one month ago. The results are that I lost money on the links I shifted to performics from all previous months with CJ. CJ clearly and desively permorms better for the merchants I tested.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

Freesurf,
    I had the same feeling but since I joined Performics few months ago while I've been with CJ for 3 years now, I thought it was my fault for poor Performics performance (... and Performics' way of build-your-own-links takes so much time that I always create few ads per merchant).
    But now that you say so, I'd like to know if anyone agrees with Freesurf, thanks.
    Monica

ABW Ambassador
    I started one of those threads awhile back.

All I can say is that some big traffic affialites are noticing a significant (good) difference.

You're talking about a couple of merchants over one month...and you didn't mention which ones.

I can tell you the clothing, footwear, and housewares merchants at Performics kick but.

The electronics and other related merchants at Performics seem to me to be mediocre at best.

CompUSA especially seems to be a dud there...all my computer sales got reversed but they gladly let me keep small accessory sales commissions.

It all depends on what you sell. For what I mainly sell...I've doubled my income since I joined Performics.

ABW Ambassador
    The only thing I like better about Performics is the ability to see what products were sold, which product links work, and which ones are not going over so well .

That is a HUGE plus as far as I see it, and a tool that extends it's usefullness over to where CJ lacks this reporting feature, and even gives me some clue as to how CJ ProductCatalog1 links are performing on shared pages .

Other than that , the navigation of Performics sucks , and I find it a time consuming pain in the butt to go in there and build links, and there is nothing else better about Performics .

Conversions are at about the same rate for me, with the exception of certain merchants that have higher conversions, and this I believe can only be attributed to the ability to monitor those product links better and NOT better tracking.

I really HATE that CJ spider thing, and I'd really love to know what this thing has found so far that has helped or improved anything.
    GOD KNOWS it's been snooping around enough !

ABW Ambassador
    The CJ spider thing and the 1x1 pixel images I despise to no end.

The CJ spider thing (IMHO) serves no other purpose than to gain information about why the visitor found a site and purchased a particular product. If you had such knowledge of alot of sites (that you don't own), how would (or could) you use that information?

Sure, it could help catch alot of the redirect pages out there, the CJ links plastered over newsgroups, etc. that are against the rules.

While we're on that...why is so many out there buying common misspelled domain names of CJ merchants, and having those sites redirect to their CJ links to those merchants?

If I were those merchants I'd be thinking about leaving CJ (as plenty have) and contacting those affiliates for those domain names.

If you're comparing networks, you should mention the merchants and the number clicks involved for better comparison.

I've had Kenneth Cole producing no sales after 800 clicks while Eddie Bauer is conversing a sale per 18 clicks. So if differs clearly from merchant to merchants.

I cross promoted merchants from Perfo and CJ and did not see any difference in conversions. So, I'm using all CJ link for merchants active on the both networks because:

with CJ it's easier to link and
    you get paid faster!

ABW Ambassador
    Could of told you about Kenneth Cole. There are some duds at Performics like everywhere.

Eddie Bauer with a 0 day cookie converts 1 out of 18 times? You'd think they'd be over at CJ with that kind of EPC...but they prefer Performics exclusively...I understand

Tower records now ...and who knows...your favorite CJ merchant may e-mail you this week and say they are moving over.

The one merchant e-mail someone posted awhile back ...a merchant that left CJ....saying that that they knew there were some affiliates at CJ being credited for sales they shouldn't have been credited for...that blew me away.

The whole gut feeling of all this calls for diversity...ask the questions...can you survive if CJ disappeared tomorrow?

One thing is certain of the future. Change.

ABW Ambassador
    Both newtworks, I guess, have their goods and bads. Performics is my main network mainly because my primary merchants are there. I personally find getting in touch with the "network" much easier with Performics than over at CJ. But one nice thing about CJ is that you can contact the merchant directly, unlike at Performics.

I also greatly prefer the reporting features on Performics - I can track how well individual links are doing click wise and sales wise. At CJ, you're basically left guessing.

Jim

Jim,

Link performance data is available - you need to either drill down farther from the website performance report or run a link performance report.

Keep clicking, you'll see the data.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    I coule be wrong but i think jim is talking about product link performance not text or banner link performance.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    CJ clearly and desively permorms better for the merchants I tested.
    I don't see any reasoning in this. A network has nothing to do with WHAT a person buys, or how much that person buys. You don't control the flow of visitors and/or buyers and neither do the networks. Perhaps you were trying to see if the parasites were effecting your sales in comparisons between networks?

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

ABW Ambassador
    "I coule be wrong but i think jim is talking about product link performance not text or banner link performance."

Correct!

Jim

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:

Link performance data is available - you need to either drill down farther from the website performance report or run a link performance report.

Keep clicking, you'll see the data.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

YES!
    Thanks, Todd!

Monica

15 years and counting
    I'm confused, now. First thing I did was to "drill down farther from the website performance "
    Sure I can find "product link performance" I have for each vendor:
    Text Link
    Product Link
    Product Catalog
    Banner
    It can give you an idea but what I need to see is how I'm doing for each product I'm promoting.
    With CJ6 my the new product performance is under "Product Catalog" or "Text Link" if I'm doing a redirect and it's meaningless for me.
    Before I was able to check my EPC for each product link now I can't with "Product Catalog"

Well, I'm trying to keep the old PID even with the new datafeed. I know it will not last, but for the time being I'm still able to check my product EPC with the old "Product Link"

I have a bunch of Product's EPC above $2000.00 don't you think it's what I want to keep selling.

Is there anything new I'm missing? Is there a way to check individual EPC on "Product Catalog"?

I'm able to check that with Performics even if I don't like their fancy reports, take too much time to load and to read it seems they can't keep it simple, at least they don't have these stupid frames anymore.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

CJ used to have the wonderful ability for us to know what we are selling! Then they took it away! I just cannot figure why CJ does not want us to know what we are selling!? OK so we throw 1000 of product links out there and we just have to blindly guess what is selling and what is not, it is absurd!!! Performics has this info for all product links and I appreciate it!!!! Come on CJ see the light!!!

Tami

Since Todd has probably seen the request for product specific reporting (i.e. one of the most fundamental aspects of marketing metrics: "know what your selling") dozens of times with nothing done about it, the real question to ask may be "why doesn't CJ want us to know what products we're selling?

Apollo

Now I am confused... Maybe I am reading Performics affiliate disclosure info wrong but it says (for Eddie Bauer), Commission Duration: (15 days.) That is the cookie monster isn't it???

Kelly mentioned a 0 day cookie so I had to go back and check. Someone let me know, if I am wrong here...

Jonathon Palbicke
    Webmaster
    www.krookedstix.com
    Webmaster@krookedstix.com
    Krooked Stix, Inc.
    It's all golf baby!

quote:
    Originally posted by Monica:
    Freesurf,
    I had the same feeling but since I joined Performics few months ago while I've been with CJ for 3 years now, I thought it was my fault for poor Performics performance (... and
    Yes I've seen a definite increase in sales after I switched over links for some merchants over to Performics from CJ. a very noticeable and consistent difference.

quote:
    "Why doesn't CJ want us to know what products we're selling?"
    I hope this will be the last time I answer this question. I have posted this answer multiple times in the past few months.

CJ is not trying to prevent you from seeing product specific data. Yes, we did show you this data in the past. No, we no longer provide product specific data.

The reason we can no longer provide this data is due to the large number a products (millions) in our database and the size of these files on our ad servers. It is impractical to maintain such a large number of ads on our servers and update them each time an advertiser updates their catalog.

You can however use the SID field to include the product name so it will show up in your transaction reports. This will allow you to see which product generated sales.

The decision to remove product specific reporting was made in order to allow us to continue to scale our business. I realize that you would rather have us provide this level of reporting but it is unfortunately no longer possible.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    Todd,

I would be more interested on product performance data as far as sale concerned. Product specific click-through data (based on product links) may not be much relevance (to me). Can you provide product SKU for each sale? This will be adding another extra field to the reports (like SID). Only the sale record will have that SKU. Merchants can provide you the SKU in the sale confirmation page or through batch. Those of us who use SID for some purposes cannot use SID for product performance tracking.

Again, I am talking about product-specific sale data, not click-through. This should not require you to maintain the cookie history for millions of products in your database.

PS: Linkshare & Performics provide product performance data for each sale.

ABW Ambassador
    Just my .02. SOmeone mentioned comparing Performics to CJ programs (that straddle networks) apples-to-apples.

As it currently stands you cannot do this type of analysis because both networks count clicks differently. I am pretty sure that Performic's uses unique clicks and CJ tracks raw clicks. Many different affiliate systems have different methods so while you can get a thumbnail, it won't always be apples-to-apples.

best regards,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Get a free two-week trial use code ABWEB at RevTrends.com

15 years and counting
    I understand the scalability factor and the problems related to the large nb of products. I like KCEdit's idea. It could be a fix for most of us. We need the info only when a sale occur. Forget the EPC. I can always calculate it by hand if I know what I sold. The merchant have that info available and you must have it somewhere. Should not be too difficult to past it on the reports.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    quote:
    Forget the EPC

Ack! No, don't get rid of *that*!

Surely there must be something else that can be dumped to make way for individual product reporting. Like the EPM. We already know that CJ links (that convert) outperform the CPM of standard impression-based ads!

But EPC is an important part of the stat picture.

~Revenue is King

15 years and counting
    I agree you you, Leader. EPC is an important figure and we need to have it.
    What I was trying to say is just pass the Product Info, description or SKU either in the SID field or better a new field for each sale and don't change the EPC, it's what I was thinking by forget it.

KCEdit,

quote:
    Can you provide product SKU for each sale? This will be adding another extra field to the reports (like SID). Only the sale record will have that SKU. Merchants can provide you the SKU in the sale confirmation page or through batch. Those of us who use SID for some purposes cannot use SID for product performance tracking.

I too see the value in this type of reporting.

Very few advertiser utilize item-based tracking. In order for us to provide this reporting, it would require us to reintegrate every pay-per-sale advertiser with new tracking code. At this point, we will not be offering sku-based reporting to publishers.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast