ABW Ambassador
    I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but just want to make sure.

If I send a shopper to Marshall Fields and they click on the Target tab, I don't get the commission, right? And the same for Target. I send a shopper to Target and they click on Fields, I don't get the commission, right?

I asked this question of the affiliate mgrs. and just got a canned response about getting commissions from the first company. They wouldn't address the secondaries on the site.

I noticed that if a shopper searches on Fields for Christmas ornaments, results for all of the other sites pop up as well.

Thank you for any thoughts on this subject and your experience. It just seems not worth the effort to me.

Lily

I've been wondering the same thing. Their sites are so well intigrated it's almost impossible to not end up on Target products when you go to Fields and vice versa.

I wish they would merge the programs into just one, tiger.direct.

ABW Ambassador
    I think if we got credit for the sales, they would tell us.

They won't merge their programs, because they do this with other companies such as target and amazon...and don't forget the marketplace on coldwater creek.

If they want to do this fine...it's their company. It's the fact that they think by dangling higher commissions in front of us, that they think we won't figure things out.

The affiliate mgrs or Sarah are welcome to set the record straight, if I'm making a wrong assumption.

Lily

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi All -

My team member who works with Target.com asked me to post the following message on their behalf:

Thank you for expressing your concerns. You are correct. The Target.com and Fields.com programs are run as separate programs, and we do not currently offer commissions on Fields.com product if the guest enters through a Target.com link, or on Target.com product if the guest enters through a Fields.com link.

We feel having our programs set up this way allows us to offer our affiliates the best programs possible. Because the brands are so different, we have noticed that our guests generally shop vertically and seldom make cross-purchases. We rely on your expertise in how to drive shoppers to different sites and think that by emphasizing the differences in the brands, we will all benefit.

By keeping the programs separate, affiliates are able to make better commission, we are able to offer more promotions, and stronger promotions. We do realize that it is an issue to many affiliates and we watch it very closely. So far, we think this is the best way for affiliates to get more out of each of our programs. We apreciate your feedback, and if you have additional questions, please let us know.

Thank you,
    Paula Melashenko
    Affiliates@target.com

ABW Ambassador
    That makes sense, we get more out of having leaks.

I work in lounge pants . Looking for a sponsor, PM with offer.

Ummmm .... I think this should be re-written.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So far, we think this is the best way for affiliates to get more out of each of our programs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    TO:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So far, we think this is the best way for us to circumvent the affiliates profit abilities to get more out of each of our programs. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

"Because the brands are so different, we have noticed that our guests generally shop vertically and seldom make cross-purchases."

Sounds like a reasonable explaination.

Since your visitors don't hop merchants then why don't you remove the links to the other Merchant?

That way you can concentrate on Target on Target's web site and Fields on Fields web site, after all, you said that they don't click over to Fields.

If there's no reason for us to worry about the leakage, then there's no reason to have the links.

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...we have noticed that our guests generally shop vertically and seldom make cross-purchases. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's the case, then why don't they do away with target.direct". I mean if If customers seldom take advantage of it...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Welcome to target.direct, where you can shop target.com, fields.com and mervyns.com at one site, with one simple checkout.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bah-Humbug.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, that was an embarrassing statement. One of the reason inherant to Target and Fields being together is the very contradicition of this statment.

"we have noticed that our guests generally shop vertically and seldom make cross-purchases"

Customers do cross over, perhaps not ALL customers but assuredly many (MANY) do. And for those, we lose commissions and they gain sales. Fair trade off, hardly.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You can bet the Fields/Target/Marshalls AM has lunch and conversations with the Dell.com affiliate manager. Who knows they might be sharing office space. Dell.com takes this diversion commission cutting strategy one step further. They run 3 affiliate programs on 2 networks to the one web site Dell.com. Cross over the invisible barrier from small business to Home systems sections ( same exact products) and kiss your single session tracking cookie goodby.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Let's not forget the Amazon leaks...err product links (books, DVD's, music, etc.) now on every Target category page from "Women" to "Toys" and so on.

Amazing what you can do when you have the Ad Whore guidence of a diversion team bragging how they can defeat normal affiliate commission payouts. These same lazy folks then embrace the BHO's, who have a complete workaround as they popup regardless, for the non-commissionable sister site or outsider links because a BHO demands no creatives or landing page work beyond the network autoloaded nightly incents.

My take is to let the BHO's and Dupers just have the major branded merchants run by advertising industry trainees. I'll leave the Brick-n-Click mergers driving in-store shopper traffic alone. Let them buy Newspaper and direct mail flyers as if the 90 days same as cash, 3 easy payment plans or Walmart's "buy online and pickup at local store" crap will earn me a dime for the traffic.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

If one is an affiliate for both Marshall Fields and Target, what's the problem??? I must be missing something here, I don't know....

Sarah and I have set up our 24 stores to cross over by having each store show their own products or list their sales that the other store may not have.

ABW Ambassador
    I won't promote fields or target for the reason above soley. The real loser here is them, not us. We refuse to advertise when commissions are not defined, or rather when products, or whole product lines are essentially non-commissionable.

Simply put, boycott them. Then contact their AM and push them, if they are not willing to run an ethical program then they will be the final losers online.

ABW Ambassador
    Perry - you can put up links for Fields, the shoper ends up at Target via your fields link while browsing, buys something and the affiliate (YOU) get absolutely nothing because they entered the site via Fields and bought a target product line...

Clear enough?

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not going to bother promoting Target, Fields, or Amazon, although I love some of their items. The statement that shoppers go vertical and not horizontal is just not believable. The shopper doesn't even have to hit the tab for the other merchant. Whenever the shopper does a search, results for similiar products from all of the participating merchants pop up.

I would like to thank all the ABW veterans for teaching me to scrutinize programs. I've been in affiliate marketing for only about 10 months and there is so much to watch carefully.

Lily

Survey Man,

Clear enough.

They are coming down from our sites tonight.

ClickMagazine.NET

You would think in a case like this it would be cheaper for them per linkshare to just run them both out of the same program.
    By wading thru my non-commissionable sales for target, I had about $600 in sales that after a search seem to have been non-commissionable because they were from Marshall Fields. So their saying that we make more money by them doing it this way doesn't add up in my account!

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

You would think in a case like this ALL the networks would ban them for this blatent attemp at defrauding the affiates. The mind boggles at what some people will do for a buck or two

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Because the brands are so different, we have noticed that our guests generally shop vertically and seldom make cross-purchases. We rely on your expertise in how to drive shoppers to different sites and think that by emphasizing the differences in the brands, we will all benefit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> BULLSHOOT! If that were the case, there would be no need to integrate the sites together as they have. Actions speak louder than words people. If it wasn't benefiting both Target and Fields, they wouldn't be doing it! How difficult could it possbly be for them to pay commissions regardless of where the traffic came from? If they cross over, fine. Pay the commission. If they don't, then there's nothing to worry about. Just more corporate bureaucracy, someone creating rules just so they can keep their job. In other words, dead weight sucking a paycheck from the company.

Just another way of screwing affiliates out of their commissions! Promote their competition!

Andy

I'm with you on this one Andy. Fire both AM's (probable just one 3rd party AM firm) and combine the site with one program with crossover product DRMs, creatives clearly defining landing pages for both, combined search box and a new honest AM at the helm.

Mike & Charlie ...

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread