I'm becoming increasingly irritated with merchants who offer "15% increase in commission" promotions. We can't afford to do that because we set our commissions as high as possible for *every* affiliate. There's simply no room to maneuver. It's the same reason we can't offer "super-affiliates" a higher commission.

When you hear "20% commission increase" - doesn't that give you an idea of that merchant's margin?

I completely understand their reasoning - it sounds better to be able to say "we'll give you a *SPECIAL DEAL*". Well, it makes us look bad because we give *EVERY* affiliate the most special deal possible.

Why not determine what you are able to pay for a sale and give that amount to everyone - all the time?

Please don't consider this an attack on any merchant, in particular. I'm interested to hear *everyone's* feedback.

-Frustrated Merchant

ABW Ambassador
    The PROS who are worth bothering will take all factors into consideration, and, in fact, do view the "special offer" "performance incentive" with some disdain.

One merchant in particular keeps pestering me to "contact him" because I made posts petitioning for him to pay a competitive rate. If I already have another merchant that pays a better rate to begin with (and converts better, to boot), then why bother calling him?

If you just pay the best rate you possibly can, and represent it as such, you will garner the respect and consideration that such forthrightness and honesty will command.

------------------------------
    "Beware the man who preaches respect for you but does not demonstrate it. Ask him to show his face before you bare your back to his blade." ~ George Hayduke

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I have mixed opinions on this.

On one hand, I agree with what Chief Beef said.

But on the other hand, I *do* like to get a "special deal" for great performance...something more than the "peasants" who are merely average or worse.

Two pet peeves: 1) (Agreeing with Chief Beef here) When a merchant has been paying a substandard commission and his idea of an "incentive" is to pay what another merchant has been all along! Bah... Bonuses only count when the merchant's normal rate was *already* competitive, and then the merchant offers a raise on top of the already good rate. A cheapskate who acts like becoming merely average is off-putting.

2) When a merchant asks me to increase coverage/exposure/etc.--and then does NOT offer me a higher commission for the bother!

So I can see good points in both ways. I *have* been left with that "Geez, how much margin do they have, anyway?!" effect. But I have also done well with some merchants and started wondering where my bonus was if one didn't appear.

I think part of the difference in reactions depends on how much margin I think the merchant has. If they're already paying a truly big commission percentage I don't usually wonder where the bonus is, but if the commission percentage looks merely average I figure they've got room to spare!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Wouldn't you rather have had that higher commission from the beginning? Then the merchant wouldn't *have* to ask you to increase exposure. If you were getting it from the beginning, wouldn't you be promoting it as much as possible already?

It seems fairly simple to me. Raising the payout means the margin was always there!!! (unless the merchant is trying to advertise instead of sell).

It seems this is quite like a used car lot. Merchants will tell you they can only pay X, but if you start to walk away, "wait a minute - let me see what I can do!"

And BAM, mysteriously, more room to maneuvre, more margin appears out of thin air.

I don't like it.
    And that's my 2 cents.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Raising the payout means the margin was always there!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmm not necessarily. Some may be offering a fair payout to begin with, but also are willing to settle for a smaller piece of the pie themselves in exchange for more attention from a productive affiliate.

------------------------------
    "Beware the man who preaches respect for you but does not demonstrate it. Ask him to show his face before you bare your back to his blade." ~ George Hayduke

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread