ABW Ambassador
    Monday, October 13, 2003
    Overstock.com Seeks Part of Travel Market

With millions of bargain hunters scouring its virtual shelves in search of luggage, cameras and travel guides, Overstock.com's customers include more than a few travelers.

So the Salt Lake City-based company, which markets other company's excess inventory over the Internet, believes it makes sense to add travel itself to Overstock.com's long list of products.

Soon it will be offering discounted airfares, hotel rooms and rental cars, and hoping to snag a portion of the lucrative online travel market.

http://www.bizreport.com/article.php?art_id=5145

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    What it means is the Ad whores within the travel industry have begged Overstock to plaster their 50 million monthly shoppers with e-mail and inline offers for a percentage. Bet Overstock takes more then 5.00 per ticket on discount airfare and throws this category into one that doesn't track referral sales.

Hotel rooms -rental cars and cruises will be the exception. Push the luggage and digital cameras and let the travel part slide. Orbitz -Cheap Tickets -Priceline -One Travel etc etc have this pegged as a mass advertising cookie cutter campaign.

Pushing the mass advertisers up "The Big O's" butt seems to be a trend these days now the Ad whores are tapping OS with million dollar TV Ad campaigns. My advice is to restrict OS marketing staff from traveling outside Utah. They can't handle the booze and Tittie bar Ad contract negotiations very well. Tell those darn OS purchasing agents to get on the phone and purchase some good name brand bargains in categories that would sell over the Holidays.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Overstock...they just won't go away, will they?

After the lies they've told affiliates, I can't believe ANYONE promotes them anymore.

Overstock

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Damn those ad whores.

ABW Ambassador
    On a related note, there is a discussion in the CJ forum about merchants including ads in the site. It is generally a sign of a company going downhill fast.

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=5996022844

Of course, Amazon.com has been doing this with its marketplace. Massive sections of Amazon.com are just ads for other companies. I suspect that goal of the Big O is to be as big as the Big A (or at least as big as the Big-K). So I guess whatever Amazon.com does, we can expect the Big O to follow.

Affiliate Manager
    We will be releasing affiliate commission amounts for air, hotel, car rental, and cruise packages shortly. Expect to see an Overstock affiliate email within the next week.

Many thanks,

Shawn Schwegman
    CTO, VP Sales & Marketing
    Overstock.com
    801-947-3119
    shawn@overstock.com

Affiliates, you just have to LOVE the ever-expanding array of goods that Overstock will forget to pay you commissions on!

Mike Jacobs

--------------------------------------
    WebMogul - Online Marketing that Works
    www.webmogul.com
    --------------------------------------

Don't bother emailing it to me Shawn, you know what I think of both you and overstock and my opinion on both will not change I can asure you.

parasite free my a**

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread