Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Honest question. If this is a no-brainer please forgive me I have not personally heard much about their affiliate program.

Do they support parasites?

Do they pay well?

Do they convert?

Are they easy to work with?

They do have data feeds, but that alone does not make them a good program.

ABW Ambassador
    Scroll down to a lengthy discussion.

ABW Ambassador
    Snowman,

The discussion is lengthy and heated.

I would like a more rounded and reasoned opinion of overstock if anyone cares to give it. Maybe that is the overall opinion, but I thought I would give it a chance. It seems like a lot of people are dissatisfied right now, but how will they feel in say...... December?

ABW Ambassador

ABW Ambassador
    In the right hands they could have been great. Imagine Andy, Akiva, or Chris running it. The possibilites. Read the locked Overstock forum to get an idea of what people think.

I think pretty much everything that needs to be said about Overstock has already been stated.

They lied to affiliates by allowing parasites in their program, all the while professing to be affiliate-friendly.

I don't know about you, but allowing someone in a program that has the ability to take my commissions right out from under me doesn't sound very affiliate-friendly to me.

Find another merchant to promote, Overstock has had the opportunity to be a good merchant, and they chose not to. Now we should choose to not promote them because of their anti-affiliate stance.

Read some of the posts in the closed forum, and it won't take long to see what they're all about...

Andy

their feed of media products is huge, but you will get next to nothing for selling them

[This message was edited by midnightcoder on September 19, 2003 at 10:02 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I look at it this way. When the whole scumware thing came to a head last year, who was the one merchant active on almost all of them? Who was the merchant who had the #1 coverage by many of them?

They gave these companies break after break after being caught, they created this pattern of allowable infractions. Check back how many times Shawn called the topmoxie or other scumware programmers and staff a wonderful group of people who he is sure are trying to play fair.

Overstock helped fund the mess we are in now. So they don't like it now either because it has come back to bite them? Too bad, they helped create this Frankenstein, I won't forget that.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Overstock did me some good. Thanks to them, I no longer fall for the AM and network spokemodel doubletalk.

They either support parasites or they don't. There is no middle ground.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks ABWr's

I will concentrate my efforts in other directions then. If they are not accepted by this community then it's probably best to pass on them.

Are then any other discount shopping options that cover a wide variety of products and have a data feed?

Thanks again for your feedback.

Oerstock has begun running radio ads in the Chicago market. Afternoons I hear 2-3 ads...hyping 2.95 S&H no matter what you buy.

Guess they have decided to market themselves for the holiday season. Makes sense - only the very naive would affiliate for them.

char_paula

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    They still pay on time but sure need to kick the other BHO's to the curb and add products to some shrinking categories.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>... and add products to some shrinking categories.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Overstock was great when all the dot coms were busting. There was a ton of oversupply.

Assuming their main source of product is overstock and refurbished goods. I suspect that they will have a hard time getting product during the next boom. They will have to squeeze margins to maintain their discounts and a good inventory. Especially now that that manufacturers have learned to run their own overstock sites and sell on eBay.

Apparently, OS has too tight a margin on its media products and had to squeeze affiliates.

sound thinking

Affiliate Network Rep
    Just my $.02 but I happen to think that the Overstock people and corporation are great. They have a large team to address your concerns and help work with you to make sure your program runs well, they pay well and on time, and frankly did take a very strong stand on browser spam and parasiteware. While I know that everyone would like to see everyone do more and more, I can tell you that they are some of the most effective behind the scenes player working on your behalf. So like I said, just my .02.

Steve

ABW Ambassador
    Steve,

Good to see you working on the weekend.

IamJaloppy

Since Overstock went coupons only in SAHS and Ebates, they have been rocking for me.
    Great Conversion for me.

I do think that was a good step for them and they should be given some credit. That is a lot more than many merchants have done.

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

OverStock.com The Good Stuff -Cheap! Great company with the most ethical CEO in the .com world. They eliminated, from jump street, ALL valid objections for buying products from their pool of discounted items. Problem for affiliates always was going to be over exposure of tracking cookies as the majority of online shoppers have visited OS many times.

Further complicating matters for affiliates is their agressive non-commissionable e-mail campaigns. By hawking low commission sales of cheap CD Music -books and Videos to build out a strong 35 million existing customer list they became a top 50 shopping destination site.

Problems arose when a merchant, who never really needed any expensive 3rd party incented BHO loyality shoppers, chose to give them all a feeding at their commission trough. That raised their new customer acquisition costs, stole from their value add affiliates and allowed them to get raped for non-commissionable links to their site. Overstock has never offered any incent to any affiliate beyond what is prominently display on every page of their site. Dugh!

Some how someone hooked OS into agreeing to double commission rates, absorbing getting billed for non-commissionable sales and paying a preference slotting fee. Imagine the salesmenship or influence necessary to sell some Bad Chit at Inflated prices to a smart etailer who sells ...Good Chit-Cheap.

ROLMAO. Did some heads roll when Patrick Byrnes when beyond the smoke and mirrors? Well my advice to OverStock is to hire me and Andy Rodreguez to breath new life into their affiliate program for the second time. Together we could riase the average customer $$$ sales amount to new levels while lowering new customer acquisition costs.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Affiliate Network Rep
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IamJaloppy:
    Steve,

IamJaloppy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always working hard for our partners ;-) hopefully that work will add to your commissions this Q4!!!!!

By the way I am stunned that more people are not curious about Earn More In Q4. It is going to be the big thing for this holiday season and just another first in the affiliate world....how do we keep this up…..

Steve

ABW Ambassador
    I'm curious, tell me about it

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> By the way I am stunned that more people are not curious about Earn More In Q4. It is going to be the big thing for this holiday season and just another first in the affiliate world....how do we keep this up….. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,

I think everyone is waiting til Monday after the full details are released before asking any questions!

Of course, if you want to post them now.......

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimh009:
    I think everyone is waiting til Monday after the full details are released before asking any questions!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sizzle was just that ... waiting for the steak!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    No need for any special heavy duty promos.
    Just cut off the parasite COC violators and our commissions will automatically increase in Q4, plain and simple, no sizzle needed.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

Oh so true WW.

Mike & Charlie ...

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Yep, so simple yet soooo difficult

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smesser:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IamJaloppy:
    Steve,

IamJaloppy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always working hard for our partners ;-) hopefully that work will add to your commissions this Q4!!!!!

By the way I am stunned that more people are not curious about Earn More In Q4. It is going to be the big thing for this holiday season and just another first in the affiliate world....how do we keep this up…..

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am ready for it, and waiting for the news. Send the email and we will react.

IamJaloppy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast