So I'm trying to use some server side scripting to grab the buy.com datafeed and it's hanging. Apparently, they have all million+ products in one feed. How do you folks handle the feed of that size?

anyone? anyone? Bueller?

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think I could touch that. At least I couldn't reload it up to my sites server. I'm sure I'd be way over my limits.

It sounds like it needs to be an on-demand type feed like Amazon's Web Services XML feed where you make calls only for specific items as needed.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Not to answer your question... but I would run as fast and as far as I could from buy.com's data feed or any other promotion.

Check out overstock, they break their up into managable chunks, and more importantly will convert better than
    1,889,353 imps
    1,944 clicks
    6 orders
    14 products
    3 returns
    $20 commission

I wish linkshare let us trade comissions where we will never see the min. I would trade you one buy.com commission for a beverage bistro commission...

Chet

ok, so I'm not crazy! It seemed that a million+ products in a text file was laughably ridiculous. I suggested to them they break it up into categories and used Overstock as the example.

ABW Ambassador
    Among all Linkshare feeds, Buy.com got the worse one. No realistic category or sub-category. The whole million-plus items have been catagorized in 8-10 catagories. I loaded it a few weeks ago, but I am about to delete the crap because it is useless.

Bueller has the day off.

ClickMagazine.NET

Buy.com has worse category structure in the data feed and now almost 99.99999% Items has less price in the data feed then the actual price displayed in Buy.com

What is this suppose to mean?

They want us to fool our visitors and send to them? So we lose traffic and customer trust?

From last six months they have promised me to fix the category structure in data feed but still no progress.

There is no description with any product. No Features. Just product title and wrong price.

I am not sure what is LinkShare planning for their future but I know one thing for sure. LinkShare is not interested to make money from my Traffic so why waste time.

I am generating 50 times more sales with other programs as compare to LinkShare. I spoken to many LinkShare representatives but no one care.

I already deleted WalMart, and now Buy.com is going also.

Asif

one question about buy.com datafeed: how often the data is changed? every day? every three days? or every week?

Affiliate Manager affiliatemanager's Avatar
    Wink Buy.com Datafeed
    Hi There!

Buy.com updates the feed daily and is available in various formats (XML, RSS, Tab or Pipe Delimited, CSV, etc). And broken out per category.

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Melissa
    Director of Marketing, Buy.com

At what time the file is updated and is the update time contained in the file? In other words, is there any way that I can know exactly when a file is updated before/after I download the file?

The last time I d/l their feed, I had to delete over half of the products because they weren't even in stock. Some of the products were presell, but the out-of-stock count was HIGH. They did have their feeds separated into categories like books, bags, electronics, games, etc.

My question is how I can know the time those files were updated... If they have not updated from the last when I download them, I don't have to bother to do any processing...

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Melissa:

Is there way we can find out which eed contains what categories. Right now all I get is the different numbers for the files if that makes sense.

I just put up some Buy.Com rss feeds on my site. From reading these comments I hope I'm not going to be sorry that I did. I'm very disappointed to see this comment:

almost 99.99999% Items has less price in the data feed then the actual price displayed in Buy.com

Hopefully Melisa, will reply to some of the comments made here about buy.com

Sunny

almost 99.99999% Items has less price in the data feed then the actual price displayed in Buy.com
    Yup, I noticed that too. It makes it seem like my site is not updated when users see those prices.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread