Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi All,

A great contest to join sponsored by lots of cool Merchants. And of course DRMs only work from a web based link, Parasites NOTinvited.

Those of you already using DRMs know how easy it is to use them, if you're late into the game don't miss out.

Please note though, that putting more than one DRM on a page is not recommended

Cheers

Chris

<font size="1"> Web Studio-1 Solutions.
    http://www.webstudio-1.com

All Programs :- Low Threshold : High Return Days : Excellent Support : 100% Parasite Free
    Mondera.com-Netmagazines.com-KegWorks.com -Left On Main -Pierced Body-Irish Photo Shop-Vegas Experts

<FONT COLOR=red size="1"> A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again. Alexander Pope </font></font>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Please note though, that putting more than one DRM on a page is not recommended <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

why not?

heisje

hi heisje

From the testing I have done it can sometimes cause a conflict and mean none of them load, or that they load very slowly, it might depend on the type of DRM and speed of connection but overall I've had less than stirling results from using more than one on a page.

Cheers

Chris

All Programs :- Low Threshold : High Return Days : Excellent Support : 100% Parasite Free
    Mondera.com-Netmagazines.com-KegWorks.com -Left On Main -Pierced Body-Irish Photo Shop-Vegas Experts

<FONT COLOR=red size="1"> A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again. Alexander Pope </font></font>

many thanks for the warning, chris.

heisje

They can load a bit funny at times. Best to test first. I have some pages utilizing smaller (quicker loading) DRM's and they work ok. For example, the Overstock #1 best seller, #2 best seller... etc.

Again, with the bigger ones be careful. A little bit of code can bring lots of content into the user's browser.

Of course it is all good content

Go Mondera !

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

I echo what buy_online says. Try 'em out. I have pages with tons of Overstock.com's top seller ones, and they're fine. Technically, there are no problems or conflicts with having multiple ones on the same page or having multiple ones from different merchants. It's just a script call, after all.

The more complex ones (like Mondera diamond wizards or Orbitz search tools) probably shouldn't go on the same page since that's a lot of content anyway, but then again, why/where would you put those 2 on the same page? So to me, it's more of a marketing question.

But yes, try them out (like anything you publish).

The timing for LinkShare's contest couldn't be better! I've been working on adding new DRMs to our inventory. The back-end technology is almost complete. Now it's time to start building!

So, I'm looking to you all for guidance. What kind of DRMs work well for you?

Gretchen
    973-621-6211 x 5045
    gwahl(at)barenecessities.com

Okay, I may just be a moron, but where is the sales contest info at?

ABW Ambassador
    From your Linkshare home page, click on Resource Center. Check the left column under Linkshare Announcements

Ahh, thanks.

Gretchen,

We are all different, but I would like to see more vertical stuff. I have lots of room on the right hand side, for example 125x125 120x240 120x450 120x600.

As for content, if you can have a 1,2,3 best seller for the week in a vertical 120x600. Or, a #1 best seller in a 125x125.. These can also be formatted like Overstock's, where there is an image and some descriptive text. The nifty part is where this type is re-sizable, fitting into anything from a vertical 125pixel space to a horizontal frame, say 90x350. The content will be fresh of course, eh?

Of course, this is just my selfish view.

Fred

You might just be a Redneck if - Birds are attracted to your beard...

Would anyone offering DRM explains how it exactly works? How can affiliates be sure that the next loading is appropriate in content, size, format or style that does not make a web page look bad or funny? Is the size and shape of the display always guaranteed? Who is responsible for content decency? We would like to include DRM items from merchants into our newsletter (www.mwsearch.com/salenews.html) but we are concerned about its look and feel AND Quality of Content.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buy_online:
    Of course, this is just my selfish view.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If there were ever a time to be selfish, now is the time. I can't guarantee that I will be able to offer all the types of DRMs you are requesting right away, but I do plan to keep adding to our DRM inventory to get you the types of links you need.

Keep the requests coming!

With regard to Magic Mart's post: I'm sure there are affiliates here who could explain the mechanics of how DRMs work on the affiliate side better than I could. As for size, I absolutely guarantee that our DRM banners will never change in shape or size. As far as content goes, the merchant does have full control. So it is important to work with merchants you can trust for acceptable content. As an intimate apparel retailer, some of our banners may be considered a bit racy. I'm considering including a DRM banner that always has more conservative imagery, for just that reason--to make sure that affiliates using it are comfortable that the content will be acceptable. However, that may mean that not all promotions could get run through that DRM space. Do you all need a banner exclusively featuring conservative imagery (women in tank tops and camisoles and sleepwear instead of bras, men in boxer shorts instead of briefs)?

Gretchen
    973-621-6211 x 5045

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    DRMs can be very effective permanent displays on affiliates pages. The AM's must verify the DRM's updates to make sure individual product link don't just revert to the home page. I spent time on the phone yesterday to Overstock when their new DRM mini showcases all made the shopper land on a home page making them jump through hoops to even find the sale item.

My grip is not with the AM's taking time to build these showcase displays but rather with Linkshare for hosting a portion of them on slow servers with snail paced internet pipelines. A 12 item mini showcase DRM will load just fine on a page even with side tables and bloated HTML and abundant product link choices. www.ecomcity.com/overstock.htm . If I add in a few category top seller product full or small image/text displays the page load has to fully complete before IE rendering the content due to the 2 main tables not displaying until fully loaded.

Now comes the strange part making me suspect LS uses separate servers. Eliminate the huge 1/2 product showcase mini DRM and place 5-8 text only hot product DRMs on the same page and it takes 5 times longer to display. WTF. There goes all designs where text DRMs could be used effectively with a few nav panel 125x125 hot product picture DRMs as a leave alone auto updated feature.

On a 1.3 mps cable modem connection those sometimes take 5 minutes to load if I whacked half the main tables product -banner -text and content links.

So AM's get up in arms with Linkshare who sucks off most of the server bandwidth and outgoing internet pipes to service the hot linking Price comparison shopping Dupers and maybe the incent BHO's from certain DRM hosting systems.

I'm not IT but I know is is a major persistant problem turning a great creative tool into a page loading problem.

I sorry to also announce their will be no new Holiday special individual products links going up on any affiliate web sites that don't have webmaster time to burn. This goes for all affiliates for any merchant at LS who doesn't have a full T-1 line access. Dial-up forget it. Actual challenge test yesterday with a merchant with t-1 line and me on cable modem accessing my Ecomcity LS create product link area for 4 merchants -Overstock Walmart Buy.com and Sierra trading post proved out the following time frames.

On a verified product keyword description "keyword" search the T-1 line took 9 minutes to find the product the cable modem 11 minutes. Both averaged 2 minutes after being found to display the image and text link codes.

Basically 15 minutes per product link to locate and get to the cut-n-paste HTML code. Always verify the links don't go to a OOS item or wrong landing page....add in 5 minutes to verify. Needless to say this merchant was floored at how much actual effort & time by an affiliate actually was spent making ONE individual product descriptive link like I use all over my site.

What would LS or the average AM know about this as they usually never even build test links. They get flustered just spending 10 minutes posting a few coupons in the merchant area and just use a datfeed for the input into the individual product link area.

Heres another way to piss off affiliates Linkshare. Only 3 of my 84 LS merchants show on the 20th they have sent in Octobers payments and 7 haven't paid for September yet. Last year only Overstock -TigerDirect and CJ even mailed me an affiliate check in December ...all the other network merchant Holiday sales came in January and Feb. So for the newbees here be forwarned. It will be the exception to see any cash in December for Holiday sales while the AM's party hardy on bonuses.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Hi Magic Mart, check LinkShare's Affiliate Resource center for an FAQ page. I think it answers all of your questions. It's in the same place as the contest info...

Bump... for a LS spokesperson comment

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

15 years and counting
    Just for your info Mike eCom - Overstock doesn't load on my end. (I'm bad, it took 5 minutes...)
    I've the fastest PC you can find, high speed Internet on cable.
    I've Norton loaded and I know it's a problem but still how many customers have problems loading DRMs.
    It's a great tool but Linkshare need to improve their code.
    If I have problems, I'm pretty sure others may have the same pbs.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

The new DRMs at Bare Necessities are now live.
    See our Promotions and Coupon Categories at LinkShare.

More coming soon...

Gretchen
    973-621-6211 x 5045

Zues it loads for me in about 30 seconds and is a 87K page load. The DRMs obviously slow it down as they have to resolve from LS's end before the page will display. That was ny ***** as I try to incorporate navigation into my site from a side table. It's just a landing page so I'll give it a whack by eliminating all but one OS DRMs and some of their category product creatives.

Should now load in 15-20 seconds ... www.ecomcity.com/overstock.htm

I used this when disgussing the DRM load problems with OverStock management last week. Their DRM product links also only landed on the front page till after this discussion. Seems they now know they have a problem in tracking certain types of creative sales they are fixing. More test purchasing going on this week

Mechants need to build quickload side bar category choice creatives like those from TigerDirect and Essential Apparel ....DUGH!

Mike & Charlie ...

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on November 25, 2003 at 11:23 AM.]

[This message was edited by EcomCity.com on November 25, 2003 at 11:28 AM.]

Magic Mart : DRMs are in short, a script that you place on your site for a specific banner that the Merchant can update directly in Linkshare or from a database to allow the DRM to display topical or live information at all times.

For example a new DRM we are building will promote Diamonds, as diamonds are unique, when one sells, it is out of stock, with a normal text or product link this would mean all traffic to that diamond would end on a "Sold out" page, not good, with the DRM, when the diamond sells out we can instantly load a new Diamond into the DRM.

Cheers

Chris

Two vertical banners have been added to the Bare Necessities DRM Inventory at Linkshare. Both are 120x240. One promotion DRM, one coupon.

Gretchen
    973-621-6211 x 5045

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread