Hello - I've just recently signed on for the LinkShare data feeds and have been approved for a handful of merchants. I've found that the .gz files that are in my FTP account cannot be properly opened with Winzip.

The error message I'm getting is "Invalid Compressed Data - Unable to Inflate."

I'm wondering if there's an error with the file or if I'm doing something wrong. I've used at least a dozen data feeds in the past (downloaded in zipped format) and I've been using WinZip for years, so I'm thinking there's something wrong with the files.

Wanted to ask here first though...

Anyone else encounter this?

~Bleddyn

Go to this URL and download a free copy of Powerzip: http://www.trident-software.com/. Your version of WinZip probably does not support files zipped with a .gz extension. Hope this helps.

The data has probably been tarred. Change the extn to .tgz and try again..

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

Another problem I've seen once in a while is that the file is incomplete. Just about everyone generates the file directly into the FTP directory, which means that there is a window where the file is incomplete. It would be better to generate the file in a different location on the same drive, then move it. Moving (at least on a Unix system) is autonomous, which means it's either 100% there or it isn't there at all. There's no problem with partial files that way.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

.gz files
    If any of the other suggestions do not work, try 7-zip. It will (as far as I know) open any type of archive. If the file has been tarred AND zipped, it will undo both. It doesn't make sense that someone would distribute those files to hundreds or thousands of people if there wasn't some way to open them. Winzip works great for most archives, if you use Windoze that is. I switched to Linux some time back, so I haven't used Winzip in years!

Hopefully the OP has found a solution by now. This thread is 7 years old.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

This thread is 7 years old. While your suggestion might have been a big help back then, it is less useful today. Try to check thread dates and contribute to current issues please.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt View Post
    Hopefully the OP has found a solution by now. This thread is 7 years old.

-rematt
    Likely has - because they haven't been back here since January, 2004.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread