Just got this email:

Today I proactively terminated known affiliates who utilize software downloads to redirect traffic that might come to www.uncommongoods.com from natural search, other affiliate sites or through direct URL entry. This step was taken in part because of the high number of drive-by downloads, browser hi-jacks and .exe files that have recently found their way onto my pc.

I recently attempted to remove an adware application from my computer. When I attempted the uninstall, it advised me it had been completed. Two days later, I ran the adware detection software and found the application had reloaded. I contacted the affiliate and requested the uninstall tool to wipe it from my system. The affiliate confirmed that it was not the intent to have this software reload without my approving the install. So I cleaned it again, got comfirmation it had been removed and went on my way. Yes, you guessed it. One day later...ran the detection and there it was again.

Either affiliates who use this software aren't knowledgeable of the reloads or they are using this tool to advance their unethical business practice. I am not sure and do not choose to investigate these on a case by case basis. The new criteria for being being an affiliate with UncommonGoods is to verify you do not use software downloads in your business practice or contract with firms to promote your business through such software.

Thus, it is imperative that all affiliates in the UncommonGoods affiliate program operate under a true affiliate business model, without any adware, spyware or BHO programs.

This letter serves as notice that any affiliates using such programs must voluntarily terminate their affiliate relationship, remove any and all banners and links or other use of the UncommonGoods name, logos, banners, links or reference to our website or any of our products. UncommonGoods will not pay prior commissions to any affiliate found to use this type of software or to a terminated affiliate and may seek damages if any and all references to our site are not promptly removed upon termination.

By ridding our program of these nuisances, the remaining affiliates will only benefit from traffic that clicks through to our site without interference from outside parties. We value the affiliate program and want to provide a profitable relationship with those whose business practices are fair, honest and principled.

Thank you for your understanding and I strongly desire improve sales and earnings for you as a result of this change. I have revised the Affiliate Agreement to reflect the above and will roll this out after the holidays to avoid creating a state of confusion at the busiest time of the year.

Sincerely,

Jerry Hazell, Affiliate Marketing Manager
    UncommonGoods

Looks like some AM get it.

"Advertising is the most fun you can have with your clothes on."
    Jerry Della Femina

ABW Ambassador
    Now there is an affiliate manager who has the right idea, and will take the program to a different level

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Good on him

Maybe we should find a way give all Affiliate managers a parasite O/D so they finally understand what it's all about.

Just Lurking
    WTG Jerry!! Bye Bye Parasites!

------------------------------
    "A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    WTG Jerry as ABW has been pounding in this fact for 2 years. 42% of all computer warranty repair problems are traced to hidden installations of BHO's -Adware -Spyware and buggy P2P network trojan horse backdoors.

AM's placing the above notice in their network TOS sure can save their companies some real money.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Time for dancing banana's!

sing with me ABW!

Another one bite the dust!

Way to go UncommonGoods!

What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

Thanks for the bananas and the pats on the back. In making the decision to remove the parasites, I reviewed sales during the month of November and found 14.9% of total affiliate sales came from the affiliates who I mentioned in my original post.

I realize that this step isnt removing that 14.9% of revenue, but the unknown is what % of this total might have come from actual customer base of the removed affiliate or if all traffic was grabbed from other affiliates or natural search. Like a Star Trek TNG episode, I need more Data.

What I really need is some proactive results to show the guy in the corner office. Would love to see sales in fact increase from a flood of parasite-free affiliates bring some fresh clicks to the site.

If your site is a good fit, sign up through Linkshare at the following link:

http://ssl.linksynergy.com/php-bin/r...shtml?mid=1961

Feel free to contact me at jerry@ugoods.com or give me a buzz at 212-660-1405 if you have any questions.

Just Lurking
    Doubt my site is a good fit but I'll give it a shot. I'm use to rejection anyway.

"A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Jerry,

That was a VERY wise move and in time the guy in the corner office will see the benefits.

I had never seen your site before. VERY COOL gift selection! You guys should all join Jerry's program and support him for supporting you!

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consulting, Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: 13 High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Programs
    HUGE Holiday Sales Contest. WIN BIG PRIZES! <font color="#0000FF">Click Here!</font>

Buddha - What is your site url? Ill keep my eye out and get you in pronto.

I'm an affiliate and the last time I looked you didn't have induvidual product links to showcase your unique giftware. What types of creatives do you offer now?

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Just Lurking
    Sent a PM. Thanks Jerry.

Mike I have built a very crude data feed that I can send you. The AP here has been at the bottom of technology resource allocation so I have built one from scratch. I have had some sites have issues with it but others find it adequate. I did add a few theme specific banners, such as "dangerous women", "pampered pets" and "horoscopes". Maybe there would be something there that would fit. Send me an email and I'll forward you the feed.

Simple way Jerry would be to get LS to setup you up with their custom link encoder. Put the image URL in, add the landing page URL and text sniplet and whalla ...trackable custom link. Use these from my font page to category links on various shopping sections.

Mike & Charlie ...

ABW Ambassador
    Hmmm...
    They called me two weeks ago to try and
    recruit me but I wasn't sure where their odds and ends would fit in, or if I could drive enough sales to make it worth while on eithor side.

Now I'll definately sign on with them , and find a way to make it work. We need more affiliate managers like this , but it's too bad they can't just take our word for it , and that
    they have to become a victim themself before opening up their eyes as to the scum they are dealing with .

What strange timing as i had some links up for uncommongoods and took them down earlier today because of being parasite friendly. Looks like i have to put some back and more!!
    vinny shop7.com

parasites = no money
    no parasites = money
    money is the choice im making i will see you there!!

Yes NY, replace those old links and put up TONS of new ones. =grins= Thanks for your support. We have some great products that fit your site well and would sell if more attention were on em. Ill send you a 5 return day offer.

Jerry;
    Sent you a PM and also an email to your ugoods.com address.
    Had a problem trying to signup through Linkshare.
    Ken

Jerry,

I'm a new affiliate with UncommonGoods - your products are fabulous. However, on one of my message boards, we do Secret Santa. I purchased items for two different people - one was gift wrapped and the other had a gift message (it was unable to be gift-wrapped). The point of Secret Santa is the, uh, secret part.

This is the message that was just posted on my board about one of my gifts - "LOL ... and you might tell "you-know-who" in the next room that when you ship something direct from the web, they include a packing slip with the senders name, address, phone number and email address ... and they list the items. " She also mentioned that a portion of my VISA number was on the packing slip.

Did your company do this with every single gift people purchased? Why would anyone bother getting something gift-wrapped if your store is going to list what the gift is???

I'm extremely disappointed in UncommonGoods.com as a store. The affiliate program may work just fine, but I hope customers aren't planning on buying any gifts.

I wrote to Uncommon Goods customer service as well and just to prove I'm not here only to rant, I'd like to commend them for their prompt reply and their attempt to appease my crankiness.

They say that their policy is to include the information in case someone wanted to return the products, but at least if you're going to do that, please put it *inside* the wrapped box.

ABW Ambassador
    Congrats on the parasite issue. Are there any plans to give affiliates a better cookie? I see Return days: 0 Thanks.

I work in lounge pants

Way to go on the parasite issue! I agree any chance of changing the return days with the cookie?

<font face="Verdana" size="1">About us</font><font face="Verdana" size="1"> |Contact us| poetry | fighting parasiteware

AIM: ssn Jason

Favorite quote: "You can do it on your own, but you don't have to do it alone"</font>

Hmm have you seen my <a href="http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=548608979&f=986605689&m=7406096484&r=7406096484#7406096484">pic?<a>, <a href="http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=548608979&f=179600589&m=5876081315&p=2"target="_blank">Affiliate goals<a>

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread