ABW Ambassador
    I have been noticing that this weekend, on and off that the reporting queue is hit or miss and many times it takes 15 minutes to run sales reports?

ABW Ambassador
    Same here.

ABW Ambassador
    When it takes longer than 5-10 seconds, I click the back button and restart the report and it has gone through much more quickly the second time.

And when you finally get the report, you find that it still hasn't been updated!

Just a row of zeros here, too.

Nothing here either. Guess they're all still off on their holidays!!

I've been trying for a couple hours now. Still haven't even been able to get a report to come up.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Affiliate Network Rep
    Thank you for your feedback. In the past I have asked if you would please send me more information on the problems you are experiencing so that we can more quickly isolate where there may be a problem. Could you please provide me with:

1-The time you ran the report
    2-Which report you ran and the date range
    3-The type of connection and ISP
    4-Your browser type
    5-What you experienced (i.e. report came back but took 3 minutes, report never came back and it timed out, report came back with no information etc.)
    6-User name and site name

The more information you give me the easier it is for us to isolate the potential issue, which can range from problems on our side to problems at your ISP level.

Finally, this is something you may not know but when you hit stop on your browser or click the back button and re run a report you are actually slowing down your ability to get back a report. Hitting stop on your browser stops your browser from accepting back the response but it does not tell our servers to stop producing the report. That means that when you hit stop and then rerun the report you are putting your new request for a report in line behind your former request. So to get to the point, the more times you do that the longer you will actually need to wait until you get back a report. So please just be a bit patient if it seems that it is slow.

Best regards,
    Stephen

[This message was edited by smesser on December 29, 2003 at 10:45 AM.]

[This message was edited by smesser on December 29, 2003 at 10:45 AM.]

[This message was edited by smesser on December 29, 2003 at 10:46 AM.]

There is slow and then there is slow. I log in, I go to the bottom of the page where "Reporting Controls" are located and I click "Go" for the default Sales and Activity Report.

A new page opens (loading the logo/menu) with the silly little "Querying Database" pop-up (a waste in my opinion) and that's where it stalls out. It sometimes takes as much as 15 to 20 minutes for the reports to show up, if at all. Sometimes it just shows a date range with no information at all.

The problem does seem intermittant. Earlier it was a problem, at this time it isn't. Yesterday was the same way, sometimes it took several minutes, then "snap" it worked fine. I'll start logging times of occurance.

I'm on broadband - I can continue to browse other sites while waiting for reports to load, so it isn't so much my connection.

Basically the same here.

Running the default report (Sales and Activity MTD) just sits there. I left it for over an hour once. I've tried several times. Nothing. Running other reports, smaller date ranges, and just a single merchant is sometimes generating a report (in 5-15 minutes). Sometimes I get just the date range. Most of the time it just sits there until I give up. I'm using IE6. I have a T1 connection. No problems with any other sites, or with other parts of Linkshare's site. Just Linkshare reports.

It's been happening for me off and on since Thursday or Friday.

As frequently as it is happening to all of us, SURELY you can reproduce this on your end.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I'm using IE6 as well with no problems with other parts of LS.

I second the above, when you finally do see the reports, nothing has been updated -- all zeros for yesterday.

Steven,

with all due respect it is annoying to be asked for information:

1-The time you ran the report
    2-Which report you ran and the date range
    3-The type of connection and ISP
    4-Your browser type
    5-What you experienced (i.e. report came back but took 3 minutes, report never came back and it timed out, report came back with no information etc.)
    6-User name and site name

when there is clearly a FUNDAMENTAL problem at YOUR end.

Linkshare reporting has been very hit and miss since Thanksgiving.

I, too, see all zeros for yesterday.

If I thought it was a problem at my end or with my ISP I would submit the requested information to Linkshare support, but when everyone here is reporting a problem it is a waste of time.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Radegast,

I appreciate your frustration with giving me more information but please recognize that without this information what you are requesting we do is the equivalent of pulling your car into a dealership and saying that something is wrong with the way the car drives, and then when the mechanic asks you to describe the problem further you respond I told you already.

When you tell us it is slow, we take you all at your word and begin a formal investigation. From our end all of our system management tools tell us the database is running without problems (no errors). Since all you have told us is that it is slow we have to check every aspect of the database to see what might potentially be slowing the system down. The more information you tell us allows our engineers to narrow down the potential area that might be impacting you and thus speed a resolution.

So rather then just say ok and toil away for a long time (which is causing you and I pain) I thought it in all of our best interest to request 6 simple pieces of information for my team to recreate the issue on our side and use diagnostic tools to narrow down where the potential issue might be. I apologize if that request is too much to ask for but please understand that I am simply trying to speed a resolution.

Best regards,
    Stephen

Your system management tools show no errors?

That is worrying.

I don't have a speed issue, but I just ran a 'sales and activity' report for 28 - 29 December and it shows only zeros.

I'll PM the requested information.

Sorry I've been unhelpful.

I've worked in IT support, and the first thing I had to do on picking up a case was to determine if the problem was client-side or server-side. If it was a server-side problem it usually affected a large number of people and further problem reports usually weren't helpful in resolving it.

That doesn't seem to apply here, so, my apologies.

ABW Ambassador
    Steve,

PM Sent.

Ken

I'm expierencing problems right now - look for a PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Steve - actually since last night and all morning I have been completely unable to get reports to run. They just spin and spin and never return any reports even after over an hour.

It seems to be affecting the Sales & Activity Report, but I would guess all sales reporting as well...

It seems hard to believe that a system wide reporting issue has occured and yet it has gone unnoticed by Linkshare?

NOW it's updated...

(No sales)

Grrrrrrrr............

Hi Smesser,

Not working for me too

I switched from DSL to phone modem.

It is stuck on openning:

http://areport.linksynergy.com/php-b...s/report.shtml

No action showing on the modem icon, in Windows status bar, which means there is no return answere from your end.

Hope this helps..

Also...

for the last month, I keep getting a popup saying that you have no record of my e-mail address, yet I get your e-mails.

I've tried a dozen times updating my stats but the problem persists every time I log in.

Hope this gets fixed soon and I don't end up loosing my account because of this.

Cow Patch...

ABW Ambassador
    Steve,

I think you've seen complaints about the slowness of your reporting system on this board before.

To ask for specific information regarding times, browsers, ISP's, etc is completely ludicrous.

If your customers are complaining about problems and your IT people are saying that your management tools are showing no problems, the problem clearly lies with your IT people and their inability to identify and resolve problems.

You have a significant problem on your end as to how the business is managed. Your affiliates are becoming increasingly frustrated because of the slowness of your system and the inability to get reports on demand.

It's clearly apparent that you need a good IT consultant to take a look at your systems and make recommendations. And get rid of that 1950's era popup about please be patient when running reports!!!! It says a lot about the quality and management of your IT systems!

It seems to be working for me now. Not sure if they fixed it, or if the gremlins decided to give me a break for a while.

Sales for most of my merchants are posted for yesterday. I'm pretty sure the remaining ones (for me) are always slow reporters.

I really have to agree with the other sentiments expressed here. The problem is/was very obviously on Linkshare's end, and your techs should have been able to track it down days ago rather than still asking for information from your users today. I'm not sure how a company can have so many different technical problems in such a short period of time. An occasional problem that is quickly fixed is one thing. A pattern of problems that seem to always take days to fix and continue to recur is another.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

[This message was edited by MichaelColey on December 29, 2003 at 03:09 PM.]

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi all,

Thank you for your comments. We where able to use them to isolate an area that might have been the cause of slower then average reports. Let me know if all is faster for you. With regards to your questions about slowness and what LinkShare should or should not know. While I do not expect you all to understand the challenges of running very large databases, what I can share with you is that a program may run correctly and still have speed issues due to an inefficient way it runs the program. This means that we are not made aware of errors or alerts that might be causing you problems while at the same time you might see slower then normal reports. When we have a problem as we did the other day, the database may need to be retuned to improve the speed. This is normal and something that we where doing and something that we continually do. When you told me of the slowness we responded as quickly as we could. The information you shared with us really helped us focus our tuning efforts, which allowed us to resolve the issues faster. I hope that this better helps to explain what we do. If you look at our record over the past year it has been impressive by any standards for a large database. I apologize if this has caused you any inconvenience but this can happen when you are running a extremely large system like we do. I will make sure that we do our best to resolve any issues you might encounter as well as make sure that we do everything in advance to make sure that you are not impacted.

Best regards,
    Stephen

Hey Steve how about tuning that system of yours again so that it can spit out some sales for yours truly?!!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread