ABW Ambassador
    I'm just catching up after being on vacation, i just wanted to make sure of the rules. The CAN SPAM act requires a physical address for UNSOLICITED commercial email and i'm thinking of featuring mainly LinkShare merchants in my newsletter since CJ requires not only an address but phone # too on ALL mail even opt in newsletters. I know a lot of affiliates don't want to put this info in their newsletters. I've received a few emails from LinkShare merchants about this but was just wondering if there is some Network rule i'm not aware of or missed while on vacation. My newsletter is double opt in with opt out info included in every email. I have a newsletter going out shortly and have stripped out all CJ merchants, just wanted to make sure i can have LS merchants without breaking any kind of rules. Thanks.

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    Stephen nevermind. Just got the LS mail today and CJ no longer requires a phone #.

I work in lounge pants

Does this mean all the newsletters that I send out to LS affiliates need to have our physical mailing address included?

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, i think so, but Stephen would know for sure. For every merchant i have on my site, i sign up for their newsletter, and you would be suprised how many aren't abiding by the CAN SPAM act. I see a few have added their physical postal address but most haven't.

I work in lounge pants

Here's an update on the CAN-SPAM law. Previously, many of us here thought that the law applied only to UNSOLICITED commercial emails. Earlier versions did specifically mention unsolicted, but the version that was passed changes virtually all of those referenced to include ALL commercial emails.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.spamlaws.com/federal/108s877.html
    Yep, you need a physical address with all newsletters, don't need to put your phone # tho.

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Yep, you need a physical address with all newsletters, don't need to put your phone # tho.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So did we decide a mailbox number (like at MailBoxes, Etc.) would work, or does it have to be my home address for my home-based business. If the latter, my newsletter is officially done.

Michael

ABW Ambassador
    Sent you a pm.

I will follow the rules but i don't see what the problem is if you have a double opt in newsletter, with opt out info in every newsleter and

mysite.com
    P.O. Box 83848
    mycity, mystate 84848

Since we work online our "business address" is also our home/residential address and i don't see why using a P.O Box for business purposes would be a problem. Will the networks drop affiliates who use P.O. Boxes? Will the FTC fine us and throw us in jail? Offline businesses use P.O. Boxes so online businesses should be able to.

I work in lounge pants

I'm all scared now. I've never sent out anything that would be considered spam, but now I'm afraid to send out any kind of newsletter. I read the laws, according to the link given above, but I don't really understand it. And I can't afford to hire a lawyer to explain it to me. Does all this mean I can't send out an email, to people who signed up to get it, telling them the site has been updated, if the site has a few affiliate links on it or if I mention, for example, a new book that just came out that's related to the topic of the web site?

And the address thing, I only have my home address, there is no way I can send that in an email to lots of people I don't know.

The amount of spam I get hasn't changed at all though, which I guess is because most of it comes from outside the US.

Bubbles <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And the address thing, I only have my home address, there is no way I can send that in an email to lots of people I don't know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get a post office box. They're really cheap for a small one. I think mine was, at the most, $40 or $50 for six months. I rarely ever check it, but the address is always handy when I don't want to use my home address.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AAnnAArchy:
    Get a post office box.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Right, but the big question right now is whether or not a PO Box meets the requirements for a "physical postal address" in the CAN-SPAM law. I'm not convinced that it does.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Ah, okay. I've never sent out a newsletter, so it's not something I've analyzed. It's silly to think that this spam law is going to hurt anyone but the legit people who send out newsletters. The real spammers will still send their spam from offshore bullet-proof hosting and won't be touchable.

ABW Ambassador
    To apply for a PO Box, the US Postal Service requires a physical street address of the registrant. It makes this info available to government agencies when necessary.

This doesn't answer the question, but it does seem make the need to use a street address questionable since the info can be readily acquired if and when a complaint is filed.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Honestly how many affiliates without a "regular" office who work only in a virtual office (home) will be including their personal home address to be given to thousands upon thousands of invidivuals, most of which you not only don't know but also have never met...?

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I've had a PO Box for about the past ten years, it's the best thing to have.

According to the USPS a PO BOX is not a Physical Address and you must also have your own physical address on file as long as the PO Box is a personal address.

But, for example: If you have a PO Box and its under your own name then anybody that drives or calls the post office and asks for who the owner of this PO BOX the USPS is not allowed to give out your name or address.

But, if you have a PO BOX and its listed under a business name, even a fictitious name even if the name is your real home address then the USPS is not allowed to give out your address or name, only the name given on the business address card with the owner, CEO, president name.

This I have been told and I check and checked 3 or four times in the past 10 years and each time was the same. Now I have not checked this in the past 3 years i think but perhpas the law is still the same or because of 9-11 it has changed. I do know that last year when my PO BOX expired and I had to renew they made fill out all types of papers again and asked for business as well as personal address on the cards. They said this was becasue of 9-11 and some people had PO BOXes and they were not able to trace the owners.

Now, I suppose that in every state the USPS law should be the same but double check your own city just incase. You can always do what some others do and rent a physical address from the so many out there. Here in my city there are 3 companies that I know that charge you about 99 per month and you can use their physical address and receive mail, called Virtual Offices. The scammers and the Spammers use these all the time, you just dont know it. Some few good people (like me) will only use this for privacy or to appear professinal. Ever heard of Mail Boxes, now changed to "The UPS Store

The other question is that the new Can-Spam law DOES require a Physical address, and when the USPS says physical address they mean PHYSICAL. Bust since this is the Internet and Internet is World Wide other countries do not have such laws.

So the Spammers will always find a way to rent a physical address in another country. There's always a loop hole and these types of people take advantage of that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> .......The real spammers will still send their spam from offshore bullet-proof hosting and won't be touchable. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This has always interested me. How ones one get "offshore bullet-proof hosting" anyway?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> .......Here in my city there are 3 companies that I know that charge you about 99 per month and you can use their physical address and receive mail, called Virtual Offices. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    How did you learn about this and would this kind of service meet the requirements of the law or be seen as an attempt to side step the law and end you up in the pokey?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> .......So the Spammers will always find a way to rent a physical address in another country. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    So how would you go about renting a physical address in another country and how much would be a reasonable price?

Sounds like oportunity knocking for someone to provide addresses.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Farewell, CJ! I loved you when you were young and pure. I will try to remember you that way. Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

FYI, I have left a message with Senator Burns, the sponsor of the CAN-SPAM law asking him to clarify what is meant by a physical postal address. I'm not sure when or if I'll hear back from him, but I figure there's nothing more definitive than contacting the source.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread