Hi there everyone and Happy new year!
    Ok, I realy hope some or all of you understand my question. If I change the link type (&type=4) Let's say that type4=banner and I use the same linkwith the &type=4 on it and change the (&type=4) to (&type=10) Let's say that type10=individual product. Will that affect my earnings if anyone bought something true the link that I modified? or as long as I have My Affiliate id on every link Can I modify (if necesary) the links.

Mario Rodriguez

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Mario

There is actually no reason to change the TYPE bit of a link, as long as what you put between the A HREF tags is a banner text product or what ever it will still go to the page that the link was set up to go to...and that is the important issue there, the landing page set by the link, not the link Type.

Note also, that if a merchant does not have deep linking activated then trying to change the links can be a bad idea and will effect the page the visitor ends up on.

I would recommed using the advanced link generator within LinkShare for any special links that you want to create for your site.

Cheers

Chris

<font size="1"> Web Studio-1 Solutions.
    http://www.webstudio-1.com

Low Threshold : High Return Days : Excellent Support : 100% Parasite Free
    Mondera.com - Netmagazines.com - KegWorks.com - Left On Main - Pierced Body
    DriveWerks.com - DeluxeGrills.com - Irish Photo Shop - Vegas Experts

<FONT COLOR=red size="1"> A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again. Alexander Pope </font></font>

Hi there chris! You know many merchants offer an individual products option, like overstock.com and u can use the advanced fiture on the links page, but other offer individual products, but dont have the advanced user option. Can I post the oid=6449 from delias (or any other merchant that does not have the advanced users for individual products), and use the advanced users from overstock or any other merchant with the advanced fiture just by changeing the oid=xxx from the merchant? I ask you because I try'ed it and it work. Here's what I mean by changeing the oid=xxx, here's overstock original link when you click on the advanced user link: http://alogin.linksynergy.com/php-bi...=&link_type=11
    Ok, the oid for overstock is:57189 right? ok, if I change that oid and post the oid from delias.com, that is: 6449 on the same link and click on go on my browser, delias page appears, with the option of making individual products. My question is: Can I this method for making individual product links from merchants that dont offer this feature? Will I get paid when a purchase is made using this method? Thank You very much!

[This message was edited by Marito on January 05, 2004 at 01:26 AM.]

Hi Marito,

Nope, can't change the first part of the offer ID like that, the offer ID is not interchangable between merchants.

The OfferID has two part as in

XXXXX.YYYYY

XXXXXX sets the offer id for a merchant

YYYYY sets the link id

I play with links a fair bit and I try to avoid playing with the offer ID to be honest.

Cheers

Chris

<FONT COLOR=red size="1"> A little learning is a dangerous thing; drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring: there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain, and drinking largely sobers us again. Alexander Pope </font></font>

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Chris,

Here is another question in that same vein. The data feed for Netmagazines has an offer id of xxxxx.1. If I make my own links through LS, the offer id is xxxxx.yyyyyy. Does it make a difference for tracking of sales?

Also, the first part of the offer id in the data feed is the generic (50887), different from what we were using for the Christmas season. Does this make a difference?

Thanks,

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris - WSO:
    Hi Marito,

The OfferID has two part as in

XXXXX.YYYYY

XXXXXX sets the offer id for a merchant

YYYYY sets the link id

I play with links a fair bit and I try to avoid playing with the offer ID to be honest.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Can I change the .yyyyy link id, to any product or text link from a merchant page that does not have an advanced user option? will I get an earning if somebody makes a purchase?

Mario Rodriguez

Chris, Can I use the advanced link generator to make individual product links or text links for a specific item, from merchant's that dont offer this option?

Mario Rodriguez

Not as far as I know, the links will just go to the home page. If they don't have advanced / deep linking activated then as far as I am aware there is nothing you can do to link to a page that is not set up by the Merchant as a Link in the LinkShare System.

Cheers

Chris

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Chris,

This one got lost above.

Here is another question in that same vein. The data feed for Netmagazines has an offer id of xxxxx.1. If I make my own links through LS, the offer id is xxxxx.yyyyyy. Does it make a difference for tracking of sales?

Also, the first part of the offer id in the data feed is the generic (50887), different from what we were using for the Christmas season. Does this make a difference?

Thanks,

Ken

OfferId makes no difference to tracking within a program, the commission is set within the system not based on the offerId.

xxxxx.1 , 1 is used for all custom links because it has the PARAM= to set the landing page.

Cheers

Chris

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks,

Makes me feel a lot better....depending on when pages get updates, there could be 4-5 different offer ids from the same merchant on the same web page.

Correct

I ran some tests myself to double check this and posted the results on a thread that had a similar concern, my results showed that it made no difference to tracking, however on DriveWerks, to please people who are still not 100% convinced, we have added then option to insert the Offer ID.

Cheers

Chris

My experience is that the offer ID doesn't make any difference. The program level that is currently selected for the merchant determines the commissions, not the offer ID in the links.

The only place where I've seen the offer ID make a difference is this: Some offer ID's are flagged as "co-branded" offers. When your link uses one of those offer ID's, Linkshare frames the click-through page and puts your logo in the upper frame and the merchant page in the lower frame. Totally useless. I had some links from a merchant start showing up like that once. It took me forever to figure out what was causing it.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Ha ha... I once activated co-branding out of interest at what it did, had no idea what had happened until I got a deluge of emails from people telling me their links had gone crazy

Killed that in a hurry...once I remembered what I had done

Cheers

Chris

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread