Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi all,

I am a big fan of preselling.
    I send traffic after people know the product and the price and want to go to a detail/sales page.

Overstock came out with a better price than Amazon for a particular product. Call me crazy but I thought that a cheaper price combined with a longer referal period = higher conversion rate so I joined LS/Overstock and set up a product direct link.

My clicks skyrocketed (much better price displayed on my site), the clicks seem to show up in LS reports a day later (no real prob there) but NO conversions. I have sent enough traffic to rule out a cold spell.

Please keep in mind:
    The product does convert on Amazon at a higher cost with a 24hr conversion limit

I am considering the following reasons.
    A: Overstock (or LS) has an incredibly slow reporting cycle for sales. (I can wait it out if thats the case)

B: Overstock converts extremely poorly.
    (I have to drop Overstock until they improve)

C: Sale is being hijacked
    (I have to drop Overstock until they address)

D:Other
    (Please give me your opinions)

PS Why is their forum here shut down?

Sorry but I am new here and have searched for these answers to no avail.

TIA

Tia I have the same concerns that you have about Overstock. They used to be my best merchant but lately sales have been practically non-existent despite hundreds of click-throughs. I also don't know whether the fault lies with Overstock not reporting sales regularly or with Linkshare, but something is definitely wrong. Like you, I have stopped promoting Overstock until I can figure out why this is happening. No sense in throwing good money after bad. Overstock definitely has the goods so how come they are not converting (or are they but we're not getting the sales)?

Despite their prices and lack of return days, Amazon.com converts very well.

I get fairly good conversions with Overstock.com (though not as good as Amazon). Overstock's reporting is delayed sometimes. Clicks always appear the next morning (with all Linkshare merchants). As long as reporting isn't delayed (which it hasn't been this week), I find about about 50% of sales are reported by the next morning, about 90% are reported by the second morning, and the rest generally take less than week. I never have figured out rhyme or reason of it, but that's the net result.

Another possibility is that your link isn't right. Did you get it from the Linkshare interface and/or a datafeed? If so, it should be fine. If you made it by hand, you might want to check it. After you click through, you should see your Linkshare code in the URL.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

What software are you using to build you web pages? If you are using Microsoft Frontpage, linkshare.com links will track clickthroughs but not sales unless you do some "fixing" of your frontpage html. Check the "How do I create links" section of linkshare's help pages for more info.
    Amazon.com links in frontpage do not have this problem.

hi dannicole2112,

do you mean that the "& a m p ;" (remove the spaces) that frontpage generates (instead of the original "&") will cause tracking problem (click-thrus but no sales)? Thanks a lot.

I think the &amp is fine. It's when FP sometimes adds a second &amp right next to it. That would have to be removed for the link to work.

I meant to say "&a m p" without the spaces.

Originally posted by ellen-s4y:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ellen-s4y:
    I think the "&a m p" is fine. It's when FP sometimes adds a second "&a m p" right next to it. That would have to be removed for the link to work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks. I never found that FP adds a second "&a m p" though.

I've never seen it happen on LS. I have seen it happen with an indy program I promote. For some reason an extra & gets installed.

I use FrontPage but there is nothing wrong with my codes. I think a pure and simple explanation is that Overstock is just not converting the way it used to. Perhaps people have had too much of the "BIG O" thrust down their throats so maybe it's time to forget about promoting them and move onto pastures new. I'm getting a bit tired of checking my stats only to find that my site visitors have clicked the out of my links but haven't bought anything. . I've also noticed that nobody from Overstock even bothers checking this Forum anymore, so any concerns we have are probably falling on deaf ears.

I've seen a couple of Overstock's people on here recently. They're just not very active here.

FYI, I've had a 4.22% conversion ratio on product links with Overstock through the 10th of this month. Sales for the 11th look incomplete and no sales are reported for the 12th yet, so I'm not including them. Last month I had a 6.71% conversion on Overstock product links, but that was Christmas.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Well good for you Michael . I guess you are doing something right then, whereas those of us who are experiencing a big decrease in conversions are obviously not. I have a question for you though... how are you able to see that sales are incomplete for a specified date or that sales have not yet been reported? Is there some special LS report facility that enables you to see this?

Are you running the Overstock coupons that they offer? If not, maybe people find the product thru your link but go to another site and get the coupon then and click thru the coupon site link. Thus lots of clicks but no sales.

They are converting well for me, using the coupons and whatever their weekly specials are and no direct product links.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it could be something to do with this
    ivillage and overstock

Parasites are thieves. What are you going to do about it?

ABW Ambassador
    Overstock has been good for me ever since I put them back up (after the ebates things).

I would not replace another merchant with Overstock just because they have a better price (shooting yourself in the foot).

I have not noticed any tracking problem with Overstock, but that is not to say there is not something wrong with another affiliate's. There have been some strange occurrences with some of my top Linkshare merchants over the past few months (absolutely verifiable) and we had to drop them because other affiliates reported good sales and Linkshare is no help whatsoever (even when they pm'd and emailed that they were going to look into it).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Grumpy:
    how are you able to see that sales are incomplete for a specified date or that sales have not yet been reported?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, I just have enough sales every day that it's pretty clear when a good chunk of the sales are missing. Plus I've seen the patterns. The most current two or three days are never complete with Overstock. The sales numbers for those days continue to rise for several days.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Michael you are correct. Overstock has many categories that have products actually fullfilled by a 3rd party vendor....not from OS's warehouse. Th4ey might be at the mercy of contantly updating prior day sales as they get these 3rd party shipping reports.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Deleted.

It's really heartbreaking that after spending so much time, effort and money on promoting our sites, our sales are being stolen from us. I don't think there'll ever be an end to this type of problem; as soon as one scam or parasite is uncovered and squashed, another is born.

Hi all,

Finally got some sales showing up on reports that are a few days old so I can rule out bad links and rule in slow reporting.

The conversion rate is still pretty disappointing so far. Maybe more sales will show up as they continue updates or catch it on the return/repeat customers. I will give it another full strength week to look for improvement. If not, Amazon will still be there with the amazing changing commission structure.

In light of this I should go ahead and add a choice to the menu:

A: Overstock (or LS) has an incredibly slow reporting cycle for sales.
    B: Overstock converts extremely poorly.
    C: Sale is being hijacked
    D: Other

E: ALL OF THE ABOVE.

Thanks for all of your input and interest.

I'll let you know how the week goes.

TripAssoc2 how old are these reports which just showed up for you? Are they all for Overstock? Sorry about the thousand questions but I'm wondering whether this isn't the reason I've shown up nothing for almost a week. Appreciate your feedback.

FYI, my Overstock reports look fairly complete through the 12th and probably around 50-60% for the 13th. I also had some extra sales show up for the 8th (and possibly a little for other days) sometime this afternoon.

This morning, I think it only looked accurate through the 11th (except the 8th which was partially missing) and only partial for the 12th.

Michael

Greetings,

Been in NYC all week and am just now getting back to reviewing ABW. I have contacted LinkShare about the reporting issue and am resending our January LS transaction report this weekend. The numbers should be updated soon.

Regards,

J.T. Stephens
    Affiliate Program Manager
    Overstock.com
    jstephens@overstock.com

JT You mean there's still hope that some sales will come through for January?!! Hope I'll be doing this instead of this

Hi all,

Just finishing what I started. I gave it the week and without a doubt I will be pulling my Overstock traffic. I have other Linkshare merchants doing fine so I don't believe its a LS issue. I'm getting literally 1/10 the conversion rates on individual product links as other merchants' product links I have across Linkshare and other networks so if its not converting, not tracking, not reporting, or not (Insert any other reason here) doesn't matter much to me. Its not paying.

Good luck and and booming business to all!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast