I remember reading something in this Forum about a week ago about cookie overwriting by a site called "ivillage.overstock.com". Well I have come across another one called supercomfort.overstock.com!! Just type their URL into your browser and enter the site, then type in your own site URL in the address bar and click on one of your Overstock links. See for yourself what happens. I don't think it could just be happening to me, so I would be interested to know what everyone thinks about this. Incidentally it appears that "ivillage.overstock.com" has been taken down as I only get a blank page. Is it any wonder that some of us are experiencing such a drastic drop in Overstock sales? I think this needs to be addressed urgently by Overstock and, in passing, I wonder how many other "powered by Overstock" sites like these there are??!!

[This message was edited by Grumpy on January 26, 2004 at 12:13 PM.]

[This message was edited by Grumpy on January 26, 2004 at 12:14 PM.]

While the display is a bit misleading (where the co-branding "sticks" even if you go directly or through an affiliate link later), I think they've said before that it still tracks affiliate sales.

I'm not sure how many "powered by Overstock" sites they have, but I think they were pushing it to their whole affiliate base for a while.

I would be interested in hearing what Overstock has to say, and whether anyone has done a test purchase to confirm that it tracks.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Whether or not it still tracks affiliate sales, this should not be happening at all right? Perhaps I will do a test purchase (just a cheapie) and see if it tracks - may as well give myself a sale as nobody else seems to be buying . I'll post a follow-up within the next day or so and let you know what happened.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Overstock passes out more cookies then the girl scouts. Surprizing that a standard yahoo store Supercomfort/Bodyspas.com gets a private labeled Overstock program in the first place. Not exactly iVillage, MSN or AOL.

I'll look for the results of the test purchase as OS seems to addressing all issues effecting their tarnished image. The jury is still out on whether it was a smart ROI move to pay some wank Ad agency millions to come up with The Big O and force a 20 million dollar TV Ad campaign to brand OS which already is known by all online shoppers.

Just think they could have gotten Charlies slogan "The Good Sh*t -Cheap" for a 500.00 bonus and a bag of bird seed. Heck for 2500.00 they could have gotten "The Good Stuff -Cheap!" slogan from me along with the secret information on how CostCo whoops WalMarts Sam's club butt since inception without huge advertising expenses.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I've made a test purchase, so will wait and see the outcome (hopefully by tomorrow morning, unless LS reports are delayed again). Hell it could turn out to be 10 bucks well spent just to get to the bottom of this. If it turns out that I get the sale I guess I'll have to eat crow! . Whatever happens, I'll let you guys know.

ABW Ambassador
    Holy sheit.

One test purchase coming right up.

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> OS seems to addressing all issues effecting their tarnished image. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha that would explain the timely disappearance of the ivillage.overstock.com site.

Any more test purchases in case the supercomfort gets pulled as well? Power in numbers, ya know

Hey Guys! Well I'm eating crow this morning because the test purchase tracked after all and I got the sale (anyone want to buy a good book from me?). Anyway it was worth testing it just to make sure, so now you can all rest easy knowing that supercomfort.com is not getting the commish despite the cookie overwrite. AND, what's more, I had another sale reported dating back two days - perhaps the "curse" has been lifted from my site?

ABW Ambassador
    Nothing to eat crow about there, Grumpy.

A test purchase is always a good investment when things "don't look right".

Far better to spend a few bucks than to spend many hours building pages that cannot produce revenue. Since I started doing test purchases on new merchants before investing any more than several hours building pages for them, I've come across two that were not reporting sales.

The $$$ spent on test purchases is small change compared to the loss that would have been incurred if I had proceeded to spend my time and effort without checking first, and the additional income generated by concentrating that effort elsewhere.

ABW Ambassador
    These tests were conducted by clicking on one's own affiliate link AGAIN to RE-SET a cookie.

What if my/your cookie already existed on a shopper's PC, and the ivillage/supercomfort overwrote that cookie upon a VISIT to their site, without any click-throughs? Then the shopper returns to OS via direct type-in later to buy something they had viewed earlier from your site? You referred them to OS for that item. Does ivillage/supercomfort get the credit for THAT sale?

Test time. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas; glad they have plenty of stuff that I actually can use.

OS have some cool Valentine's day stuff Chief . Don't delay, make your test purchase now!! You snooze, you lose

ABW Ambassador
    Screw Valentine's day; I just blew a BIG load on Christmas. Time to buy some things for myself

Anyway, commission was recieved OK on the first test purchase. Will wait a few days for the second one.

Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and the ivillage/supercomfort overwrote that cookie upon a VISIT to their site, without any click-throughs?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you need to think of these sites in a slightly different way. If ivillage, supercomfort, whoever, get a visitor to their co-branded overstock site ... that is a click-through. It's like the rest of their site is an affiliate for their cobranded overstock site - so if they get someone to their co-brand after you got someone to vanilla overstock, I'd expect them to get the commission.

It's just like any other affiliate vs affiliate situation ... you/I might send someone to a merchant for an item, but we'll still lose out if someone else later sends them to the merchant front page and they buy that item.

--------------
    Are you Crazy?

Chief I hope you bought yourself something nice.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread